1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This simply flaberghasts me...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by ThrowToHeath, Jan 23, 2014.

1. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I just happened to glance at the "Pro-Bowl" rosters and I looked at the QB's.....

Brees / Rivers / Alex Smith

and

Newton / Luck / Foles

Next to Brees and maybe Rivers, how is Ben not better, by a large margin, than Alex Smith and all of the QBs for the other team.... Foles? Newton? Alex Smith?

Ben had his greatest statistical season and he isn't considered better than Alex Smith?

The Pro-Bowl is a joke...

2. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Wait, Ben's greatest statistical season is 8-8 and no trip to the playoffs?

You're complaining about Foles? I'm not saying he's better than Ben, but what did Foles have this year, like a 15-1 TD:INT ratio? That guy was nuts. Yeah, he had 30 total TDs (27 passing) and 2 INTs. 289 ypg, 8-2 record, and rescued his team from the clutches of Michael Vick.

I know wins/losses is a team stat, and no one complains more about people mixing up personal stats with team stats more than I do. But if memory serves, Ben hurt this team more than he helped it during our 0-4 start. Maybe that's too harsh, but he was playing sub-Ben, and if he'd played just some average games we'd have won some. He played great the rest of the year, but he was part of the problem early. Alex Smith "game-managed" a 2-14 team into the playoffs, and should have gone even farther after a lights out playoff game. The rest are in the NFC, except Luck. I didn't really follow his season so you may have a point there, but his numbers are good. Like Smith, fewer turnovers.

3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Bingo. There's your reason. What do all of the QBs have in common? Playoff appearances. Fair or not, Ben's team went 8-8. People remember winners.

4. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Why do people keep saying this? 2013 wasn't Ben's best statistical season or even his 2nd best. 2007 & 2009 were both significantly better.

5. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    You guys do know that Ben may not even want to go to the pro bowl right? I think he is just glad he played 16 games this year. He wants to go to the game he'll fly over and relax. Just my thoughts

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep, which is why I don't care. Besides, with our luck, after making it through the entire season, Ben would tear an ACL in the pro bowl.

He did deserve to go over those other guys though, you're a 100% right.

7. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Alex Smith, while not the sexy pick.... was an integral part of turning a 2-14 team into an 11-5 team. Give him some props.

8. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Wait, wait, wait a minute.

Then why was it that earlier in Ben's career when the Steelers were making the playoffs and winning SBs did he not make the Pro Bowl? I definitely remember playoffless QBs making it ahead of him even though he often times had better numbers. I remember that the knock on Ben was that he was a game manager who wasn't asked to throw a lot because he had a top 5 running game and top 5 defense.

Now fast forward to 2013 and a playoffless Ben sits home while Russell Wilson makes the Pro Bowl. The same Russell Wilson who had the #4 rushing offense (136 ypg), the #1 defense (273 ypg), the #1 scoring defense (14.4ppg), and therefore was asked to do less than Ben (170 less attempts and 850 less yards).

It reeks of a steaming pile of bull**** to me.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He can have his props, certainly not more then Ben though.

10. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    It Pittsburgh had Seattle's defense with its 14.4 ppg average, then the Steelers EASILY beat Chicago, Minnesota, and Miami. Thats at least 11-5. They probably also beat Baltimore too. 12-4 would have been a real possibility. All else being equal, does Ben make it then?

11. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Well, Foles, Brees, and Newton are from the NFC, so I really don't see them competing with Ben for one of the three spots from the AFC.

From the AFC, Peyton was one. Supposedly, Rivers had a great season, but he only won one more game than Ben with a better defense and running game. Anybody truly think that KC wins 11 games without Smith? Luck is a favorite of the Media. But I digress, Ben should be in the pro-bowl. No way he was at best the 5th best QB in the AFC. Then again, for the first few games, the offense stunk, while Smith was winning 9 straight.

12. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It's a popularity contest. How many enemies has Ben made?

13. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    The PB is not conferenced now.

14. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if pittsburgh had the seattle defense we would have win the superbowl easily

15. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

love the pro bowl without ben...if he doesnt play.. he has zero change of getting hurt in it .

HINES

16. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Let's be honest here....

You spell-checked "flaberghasts"....:lolol:

17. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Getting hurt playing touch football is slim to none. :yawn:

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    This is the Steelers, an injury could find them playing gin rummy.

19. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    If not for a bad (bribed) official, the Chargers end up at 8-8, and Rivers is goin' to the pro-bowl? That game has been a joke for years!

20. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    .....and in an effort to make things more 'interesting' about the pro bowl, it's now just a random conglomeration of two teams with no conference affiliation? I sort of get trying to 'shake things up' since the ratings had been languishing, but throwing a dog turd on a sandwich that isn't selling well probably doesn't improve your situation.

21. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Good point! :lolol:

22. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    LOL...I know I would have!!