1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

as a Steeler fan, i was thrilled with the weekends games

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by lovembig, Jan 20, 2014.

1. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    obviously i would have been much happier if the Steelers were playing, but it is what it is.

going into the weekend i had a hard time routing for any of the 4 teams left, but when it came down to it i just went with routing for the teams that were the farthest away from the Steelers 6 rings.

i hate Seattle, but they have ZERO rings and the 49ers have 5. easy choice.

i also cant stand the Broncos, but i do respect Peyton for his greatness at the position. that game was east to choose from. no way could i pull for the Pats and Brady. would be tough to see Brady with same number of rings as Bradshaw.

ideal outcomes for both games.

now the ideal outcome will to see Seattle beat Manning and get to listen to all the talking heads and fans talk about how Peyton cant win the big game.

you know somewhere in a private moment Eli is hoping for the same thing.

"mom and dad i know you like Peyton more than me, but i still have 2 rings to his one"

2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I hope that you aren't that naïve to think that Eli is hoping that Peyton chokes.

On another note about the games though.

I would rather be tossed into the most active volcano on the planet then to root for Marsha and Belicheat. I loved everyone of his over throws yesterday just thinking and wondering who Gizelle could blame next.

3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    But for a botched FG attempt by KC - all the chips are still falling the right way. I truly wonder how the Steelers would have fared had the FG been good? Never mind - I just remembered our defense this year and answered my own question. They'd be home eating nachos like the rest of us.

4. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
  5. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    just curious whats the story line behind your avatar and name?

6. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    Born and raised in cleveland. Steelers sucked in the 80's and took to the broncos, mainly to piss people off in school. I am a total Steelers fan though. Elway was and will always be my favorite player though. Just respect his game!

7. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011

cool... thought that was it...just wondering

8. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I was happy to see the games turn out the way they did. I don't want SF getting closer to 6, and as far as Denver goes, I think Peyton deserves to win another Super Bowl. If the Steelers aren't going to be in it, I'll be rooting for Peyton. He's a great QB and from everything I've ever seen, he seems to be a really great guy with a great sense of humor and pretty down to earth. Kind of the anti-Brady if you will.

9. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I believe Elway is best QB of all time.

10. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I am very happy with the SB match-up. I'm fine with any outcome. It would be nice to see Peyton become the first QB to win a SB with two different teams, cementing his legacy. But Seattle has never won one.

11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I had to check that when I read it. I was sure that someone else had done it - but then all the ones I was thinking of (people like Lamonica, Morton, Morall etc.) either didn't win the game or weren't the starting QB.

Interesting that it's taken this long for it to happen - if it happens.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it shows another team with a good defense and a game managing qb can still get to the SB. the broncos run the pick play to perfection, it even let's them take out the other teams best DB and get away with it.:cool:

13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Pick plays are illegal, most teams at least disguise it good enough to get away with it, but welker clearly threw a body block on talib, that definitely should have been flagged...

14. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Mac - I think you may be implying the similarities between Wilson game managing w/Seattle and Ben R w/the Steelers. I have to disagree.

I actually think Russell Wilson is not really a game manager - he is capable of it, but the guy is a flat out playmaker as witnessed by the 50+ yard completion he made to Baldwin on their first FG drive and the gutsy TD pass when he drew SF off sides. Ben was a game manager his 1st season but that completely changed in the playoff run of 05 as essentially they put the game on his back in every one of those playoff games except SB 40 where he pretty much stunk...but still made a couple of big plays like the 40 yard pass to Hines Ward for their first TD drive. As far as 08 goes people forget that Ben was hurt often during the middle part of the season and did not practice w/the team, he then went into games like the NY Giants game and Indy game and proceeded to throw lots of picks and generally was off. However Ben was largely a play-making QB who lead numerous comebacks during the year including the SB. The Steelers also had a back of the pack running game that year that averaged only slightly over a 100 yards a game...so if it wasn't for some of Ben's late game heroics it is hard to see the Steelers winning it all that year.

So I would say it shows more that you can get to the SB with a good defense and a QB who is a playmaker. I think the best witness of a team winning the SB with a game managing QB is actually the Patriots two first SB wins where they had a defense that was Top 10 or Top 5 in scoring defense and yards and a QB who largely managed the game - albeit with extreme efficiency. The last year the Pats won the SB was really where Brady was starting to come into his own as someone who manages the game and where he could carry the team on his back. It is one of the biggest mis-conceptions about Tom Brady that he came into the league carrying the Patriots. The Patriots had an outstanding defense during his early years and Brady was good but not really great as he later became.

15. IggySteel

IggySteel Active Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I agree that the weekend turned out as well as it could have. I almost want Seattle to win the SB just so they stop whining about '05.

16. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    They will never stop whining about that. Not even after the refs almost wrecked the NFC Championship game by robbing Navorro Bowman of that fumble he gave his left knee for.

17. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I was thinking the same thing. Although, I enjoy watching the Seahawks play so I am happy they are in the Super Bowl.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    no, actually I do think Wilson is a game manager and I wasn't talking about ben. the ravens 1st SB and O'Donnell came to mind for me. all 3 have/had good defenses around them without high powered offenses. :cool:

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Me too, its always great to see the Pats
    and the 9ners lose, Hooray go Seattle.
    They play defensive football the way
    it should be played.