1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Any assistant coaches' jobs on the line?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Dec 30, 2013.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well, what do you think? We've been wasting away again in Mediocreville for the last couple of seasons now. My son and I were talking earlier and I told him that 8-8 in Pittsburgh is like 4-12 most anywhere else, it just doesn't cut it. So who goes? We've been hearing most of the year that there would be some changes among the coaching staff given the lack of overall success this season, but can we put some names with that? Is the great Dick Lebeau's job at stake given that the defense had one of its worst seasons in recent memory. What about some of the assistant coaches on defense? Mitchell? Butler? Lake? Any offensive coaches at play here? Did Haley do enough the second half of the season to salvage his job? Are Kirby Wilson and Randy Fitchner safe? The OL coach, Bicknell? The WR coach, Mann? The special teams guy? We know Tomlin's not going anywhere.

This is my prediction. In spite of all of the saber rattling early in the season about the need to possibly shake up the coaching staff, I believe that we'll go into 2014 with EXACTLY THE SAME COACHING STAFF WE HAD THIS YEAR! I also believe that LeBeau should graciously step aside and hand the reins to Butler, but predict he will not do so. He'll go off on his two week golf trip and give it some thought and will inform the Rooneys that he wants to come back and they will oblige "because he's Dick LeBeau" as a certain head coach once said. That may lead to the only potential change we'll see, Keith Butler bolting for a DC job after growing weary of waiting for Methuselah to retire.

There you have it for the JMHOFWIW category. We'll see some player turnover, but I think the coaching staff will stand pat.

Thoughts?

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I would be surprised if any of them get retired/fired. However, it wouldn't surprise me if some were lost to hire paying jobs elsewhere.

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I would say no.

I would hate to see the Special Teams coach go, he is highly touted. He had some mind boggling gaffes this year though with blocked punts and what not.

Kick coverage was good this year though...

4. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Agree. We shouldn't voluntarily dismiss any coaches this year as we played well enough all things considered. Continuity matters when the goal is to build a championship team.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    TE maybe. probably the biggest underperforming group early on. :cool:

6. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Don't think he will ever come back but I did like Russ Grimm as an O-line coach

7. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This may not be an assistant coach,
    but I would still get rid of the Strength
    and conditioning coach. I still
    want to see ALL our OL benching 225/30
    before training camp.As far as the others go
    I don't think there will be any changes

9. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

How do you know they aren't now?

10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    LeBeau out, Butler in. Haley stays, the Offense is making strides. Danny Smith stays.

LeBeau before the season ended said he wants to stay. I appreciate what Dick LeBeau has done. But his scheme is as old as he is, as old as the players that are hung on to, predictable now, to complicated. Need a fresh approach, getting players drafted ready sooner to get on the field. The defense was the major reason this team is out of the post season.

11. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    We need to hire Jarvis Jones his own S&C coach.

12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    If 8-8 is the best they can do two years in a row, they all need to be fired starting with Tomlin...

13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    If you're serious then be prepared for a 3-13 season next year.

DL may be asked to step aside but I doubt that will happen. I would only go that route if Butler stays.

Butler may leave though, if he continues to play second fiddle here.

Tomlin is safe but better come out with his team fighting next year or he will quickly be on the hot seat again for another slow start.

Danny Smith should be held onto. I see positives from this group so long as kickoffs and punts get some hang time.

Todd Haley has earned a third season and will be staying if he isn't offered a HC position.

Strength and Conditioning coach should be sent packing. The team doesn't look very tough at times.

OLine coach will be retained and deservingly so after the patch work line came together.

Carnell Lake will be back. CB's have been much approved lately in the season.

Colbert should not be held without accountability and should be considered for replacement.

* I would really love to see Kevin Greene come back if Butler leaves *
    You won't see many changes IMO.

14. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I read an article yesterday that suggested DL could be retained and moved to Assistant Head Coach, with Butler being promoted to DC. I personally feel that would be unfair to Butler.

15. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The biggest reason I want DL to retire is because of the way things are now, the rookies don't get on the field and just look at his blitzes, when it is 3rd and long the blitz doesn't get close most of the time, it is like the other team knows where it is coming from which means his system is outdated. I'd really love a strength and conditioning coach, this team as a hole has way to many soft tissue injuries, the ST does some good things but they look bad at times, maybe we keep Smith for another year.

16. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    So so wrong Diamond....MTs not going anywhere. I see STEELERS keeping DL one more season. After that DL retires and Butler takes over the D. In between lets bring someone in to teach MT clock mgt. He does need that!!

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I can see it with my own eyes, lack
    of strength and mobility of our OL.

18. PitJax

PitJax Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Agreed about the Strength and Conditioning coach. Many Steelers seem to be weak and out of shape. (Remember the first game of the season last year against Denver. They were gassed. I know, I know, the high altitude of Denver. But I said at that point the Steelers looked terribly unconditioned.) The OL especially is terribly weak and immobile.

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Send Lebeau and his predictable scheme packing. I miss the blitzburgh days when there would be 5 or more players meeting at the QB. I'm also tired of our CB giving every receiver 10-12 yard cushion on every play.

20. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I'd like to see LeBeau exit with dignity and class, but I'm increasingly getting the vibe that he may be another Joe Paterno or Bobby Bowden. I really don't want him to wear out his welcome, but he may be heading down that road. I HATE the 10 yard cushion too. How many 3rd and 8s have we seen converted because of a stinking 10 yard cushion? LeBeau's defense is designed not to give up the big play, but we gave up more big plays this year than I can ever remember a Steelers' defense giving up.

21. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Cowher went 7-9 and then 6-10 from 1998-2000. Tomlin isn't going anywhere this year.

22. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    S&C coach has very limited time with the players, their main priorities are to increase recovery between games and to minimize soft tissue injury. If a player is weak/out of shape that's their own doing from failure to prepare properly during the offseason.

23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

So full of pooh your eyes are brown

24. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    DL has been a head coach before, so maybe he could help Tomlin with clock management and other decisions.

25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    DL has his system, he refuses to change the system to fit the players he has, so when players get injured or retire, get cut or whatever, his system doesn't fit the personnel and that's why the defense digressed this year: