1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

tomlin question

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel1031, Dec 29, 2013.

1. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I know people want him gone but what I don't understand is how he gets so much of the blame when we lose and none of the credit when we win. I know the arguments about clock management and stuff but I think this was one of his best coaching jobs. this team was done at 0-4. I went on record saying we would finish 10-6 then but really I just wanted to look smart if we did. I didn't think we would even see 8-8. this team played hard and the coach always gets credit for that but it seems tomlin don't. the jets played hard and everyone credits ryan for not letting them quit and he is an idiot. I wish people would just understand we are lucky to have him. I am curious to see why people wont give him credit so go ahead and let me know why he sucks so much

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm not anti-Tomlin, so I can't really add much there, but the guy deserves credit simply for turning this team around after an 0 and 4 start. Granted, we didn't make the playoffs, but we were in it until another team's kicker missed a field goal in the final seconds. Say what you will, but it takes a good coach to keep a team focused and competitive after such a lousy start.

3. simplye2004

simplye2004 Member

Dec 22, 2013
    I am a fan of Tomlin and he deserves credit. The only complaint I have of him is his clock management is terrible and I really wish he would do something to fix it. But outside of that he is a excellent coach.

4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You're absolutely correct that he does deserve a lot of credit for keeping this team together and fighting all the way to the end. He also deserves a lot of the blame for the crappy 0-4 start and for losing to teams that we should handily beat. I'm about 50/50 on Tomlin right now which is better than I was earlier this season. Back to back 8-8 seasons aren't good enough, period. But I've said all season that Tomlin isn't going anywhere and he'll have an opportunity to redeem himself over the next 2-3 seasons. ENOUGH MEDIOCRITY ALREADY!

5. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Eh, we didn't have many impressive wins. Cinn and GB were the only W vs. playoff teams, where Cinn is one of the weaker teams and we beat a Rogers-less Pack. I give him credit for keeping the team together, but not sure he had his hands in during some big time wins.

6. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    ok but are you taking into account no heath, no maurkice, and as hard as it is to believe no foote. when you look at how they patched together a roster the first six weeks its kinda amazing. I know every team has injuries but we got hit in major positions this year

7. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    with ben and brown healthy all year lost 8 games ,miss the playoffs for the second year in a row last time he went we get tebowed , after 7 years he took 2 months to figured out what team has to play he basically take the preseason like a vacation he was still even smiling today , for what i don't know ,i don't even remember last time i smiled about our situation , he still has no clue how to manage the clock he still come in post game press with the same bs , he even step onto the field looking like an a..hole . he is too soft and set the standard to a mediocre season , i'm waiting to listen what he will say tomorrow after this seson debacle , with that easy schedule he managed to be umprepared for most of the games we should have won easily .cut dwyer to keep redmann when he wasn't used in preseason , he still did not understand we are the pittsburgh steelers not the tampa bay buccaneers . he is made up but ihas nothing under , ben and haley turned down this season a little bit he doesn't even know how they did it . i'm tired to speak about that fraud
    sorry if this hurt some of you but this is what i think and i can't stand his smiling on the sideline, maybe is thinking about his pocket ..

8. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    It seems like Belichick patches together a roster every season and still finds a way to win games. My point is that the really good coaches find ways to win, regardless of who's out there. If Belichick can do it with Brady, Tomlin should be able to do it with Ben. The standard is the standard after all.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    It's hurts me deeply, Freak. It hurts me deeply.

10. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I just don't get patting Tomlin on the back for finishing season 8-8. If feels like we are accepting and even rewarding mediocrity. This season was another disappointment by this team and highly paid and experienced players on it. Tomlin owns it and doesn't seem like he knows what to do to stop it.

11. fastandsly

fastandsly Active Member

Dec 24, 2013
    0-4 wasn't an issue caused by tomlin? If you truly know the steelers,they do better in the no huddle with Ben calling the plays.keeps our defense off the field more than the tomlin/Haley 3 and outs.does anyone really believe the steelers wouldn't have had a much better season with Arian's at the helm? Even against cleveland he boneheaded the end of the 1st half not calling a time out after the browns failed at 3rd and long.this team is more talented than the ravens,Bengals,colts and chargers.there's only one place the steelers are weaker....,on the sidelines.why was this team losing on the way to 0-4 and 8-8? Tomlin controls both sides of the ball.he admitted this after the tebow loss.he took Arian's and lebeaus skills out of the game.and he used Arian's as a scapegoat.steelers hit 8-8 not because of tomlin....,but in spite of him.

12. fastandsly

fastandsly Active Member

Dec 24, 2013
    Thank you...

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He still hasn't had a losing season and he kept the team together after a 0-4 start.

14. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    enjoy the 8 -8 mediocrity he brought to the burgh

15. fastandsly

fastandsly Active Member

Dec 24, 2013
    Funny....I saw Ben take control of the team,not tomlin...when Ben takes control of the offense and leaves tomlin/Haley out of it,Ben and the team look better,enjoy themselves and are motivated.people forget rooney said tomlin was going back to smashmouth football by rushing.started with Mendy and was useless leaving other weapons behind.bell is a nice fit,finally.how did we get Betti's to Detroit? Used the best weapon we had,bens arm and elite receivers.was always nice to see Betti's run after Ben got the lead.you use your talent the best way you can,you dont force a weakness.in 2 years,tomlin still doesn't understand that.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Who you going to get that's better? Maybe this team isn't good enough yet ever think about that. He also brought the 6th SuperBowl to the Steelers. Cowher didn't have a winning record every year either.

17. fastandsly

fastandsly Active Member

Dec 24, 2013
    Rooney should have kept Arian's.but rooney had to get rid of tomlin scapegoat.Arian's has a less talented team,but has gotten more out of the colts and cards.what a huge mistake by rooney.

18. fastandsly

fastandsly Active Member

Dec 24, 2013
    There isn't a coach on the sidelines smarter than Ben on the offense side.used to be,but he is busy getting coach of the year accolades....

19. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree that Ben running the no huddle and giving him more control is good for the team. I think it keeps Ben more engaged in the process and encourages him to be a more studious and cerebral quarterback. But let's not forget that the plays that Ben is calling and having success with are straight out of Haley's playbook. I really think they are starting to complement each other well and have found a formula that works. That's great news for next year and beyond!

20. fastandsly

fastandsly Active Member

Dec 24, 2013
    You honestly believe Ben doesn't go away from the Haley playbook? I dont see much difference between Arian's or Haley's plays.Haley just has an extra weapon Arian's didn't have.....bell.

21. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    If you don't see the difference between their plays I don't see what you see.

22. fastandsly

fastandsly Active Member

Dec 24, 2013
    I dont drink...

23. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    i think you're short-changing Haley and not giving him nearly enough credit. Conversely, you're giving Arians too much credit. Arians playbook was to sling it 40 yards upfield 90% of the time with a bubble screen or run between the tackles the other 10%. Haley's scheme is more ball control, quick hitting, allow the receivers room to run after the catch, disguising routes at the LOS and using the short pass as a component of the run game. I'm not an analyst, but Haley's offensive scheme has much more depth and complexity to it than BA's ever did.

24. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    exactly

25. fastandsly

fastandsly Active Member

Dec 24, 2013
    On one hand,the offense is pretty much stagnant with Haley calling the plays.2nd half of cincy game and the whole browns game showed that.today Ben threw it down the field more than he has in a long time.I forgot how many drops he had.yet in the no huddle Ben does what he wants and succeeds.I'd rather leave Haley behind and let Ben call.and again,Arian's didn't have a bell,yet got the most out of the team...,till tomlin took over.