1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

You have got to be kidding me

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 12to88, Dec 18, 2013.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Let it go man.

2. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The rule is perfectly clear.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  4. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
  5. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    You're missing the point.

6. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Both those posted videos differ, in that the players hit the ball carrier. Currently under the rules, ball carrier hits are treated different than defenseless players. I'm not saying the rules are perfect, or that I agree, but ball carriers are not considered defenseless, and punters/kickers and QB's after ints are considered defenseless for the entire play.

I'm not calling Gavin a dirty player or saying it's intentional. The hit is clear as day against the current rules. They'll probably use that tape as referee training material for a hit to the head of a defenseless player.

Ball carriers are unpredictable and could attempt leaping over, lowering their heads, etc, so it's rather difficult to fine a player when there are so many other variables.

7. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    What point am I missing?

8. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011

Apparently, I am going to have to be very very very clear about this.

How can the NFL justify those types of hits (on Holliday and Bell) in an era where they are trying to promote player safety? I know that those hits in the clips are LEGAL. I am making the bigger point as to WHY??? This is about the spirit of these rules, not a justification of Garvin's hit. The NFL is cherry picking when helmet-to-helmet contact is okay and when it isn't. This is the problem. I have just demonstrated a hit (on bell) that is in every way as bad as Garvin's hit on Huber. I am also trying to show an example of what real helmet-to-helmet contact looks like...a far cry from what Garvin did.

So Garvin is a bad guy for hitting a punter in the chest with a shoulder/helmet combo...but Smith is perfectly all right for literally launching himself, helmet first, arms at his sides, into Bell's helmet? I know darn well that in the eyes of the NFL, that that is the way it is. But it's insane.

9. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    That is what I was saying earlier in terms of the punter, kicker, QB should have to remove themselves from the play - if you are truly defenseless then get off the field. The way I look at it, once a player goes into any kind of pursuit of the play then all bets are off you open yourself up to being a target. I could understand it if a player seeks out the punter or kicker to light him up, but Garvin clearly did not do that. Huber was trying to make a move towards Brown. I don't like it that he was hurt, but once he ventured into the land of the gladiators it was fair game.

10. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Yeah right. That's why there's so much debate and controversy about it.

11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Anyone notice Renegade is not as good as it used to be because they can't light guys up anymore....

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The league is very inconsistent and unjust, it's a mess. Garvin shouldn't be punished because the laws of physics took over after contact.

13. IggySteel

IggySteel Active Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If the punter is a "defenseless player" throughout the entire play, then he should have to remain motionless after the kick and not be allowed to interfere with or tackle the returner.

14. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Exactly. This new brand of Roger Goodell football sucks really bad.