1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben to critics...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by ScottChab, Nov 17, 2013.

1. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think anyone ever said he sucks. The issue is that he's aging, his body is beatup, we aren't a SB contender, and he's going to want another long term deal worth $20+ million per year. I just don't think it makes sense to sign him to another long term deal.

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    NFLN and Rapaport continue to run with the story. They are reporting today that Ben is frustrated because he's scheduled to make "only" $12 million next season when other upper echelon QBs are scheduled to make $20 million. He's also not happy with the Steelers decision to retain Haley after last season and early this season when the offense was ineffective.

4. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    I never said anyone thinks he sucks.

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Scott didn't say anything like that. :shrug:

6. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Beat me. :facepalm:

7. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Well Brady is only averaging $14.1mil/yr on his latest/current contract.

8. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Which is poo poo considering the fact Ben is scheduled to make considerably more next season. Draw again, Ian.

9. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Scott, you said "Ben" and you said "suck" so you obviously said Ben sucks! :roflmao:

10. virginiasteelerfan

virginiasteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

sure it does. contracts aren't guaranteed in the NFL. so long as he doesn't demand a 50 million or more signing bonus there's no reason not to sign him long term. then if down the road he doesn't justify the pay, either rework or cut him. same thing they did with Bettis. in fact, long term deals make more sense cause you get to spread the money out over a longer period of time. and usually they back load the contract.

11. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    What does the word critic mean? It means people are critical of Ben. The big issue with Ben right now is about whether to resign him or not. I personally don't want to give him another deal because it will cost a fortune and will be a long term deal to an aging QB.

The decision to resign him has less to do with his play and more to do with other factors. So this game he had changes nothing as far as me being critical of him. Besides, this isn't his first great game and won't be his last, but he's also going to have his share of terrible games as well. He's too inconsistent to reward him with another long term deal and that will only get worse as he ages

12. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Ben ain't stupid. The extension is last chance for leverage. You want me and you want me at a decent price fine, but get rid of Bozo the OC and let me have a say in picking the next one. Period. Don't like that? Fine wait 25 yrs for your next ring doin' it the Steeler way.

13. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    I know the meaning of the word critic. Do you know the meaning of the phrase "Suck it"? It has NOTHING to do with what the critics have said. I also never said anything about resigning him or not.

Relax and enjoy the win.

14. virginiasteelerfan

virginiasteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    any franchise QB will cost a fortune. just look what guys like Stafford are getting despite not winning anything. the QB is by far, hands down, the most important position on the team. more now then ever before. unless the steelers have decided they're beginning a 5 yr rebuilding process and are willing to be happy with 4 and 5 win seasons they need Ben.

15. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Relax and enjoy the win? Who started this thread? I simply answered a question. Do I know the meaning of the phrase suck it? That's real nice. You're an idiot.

16. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Whoa, chill.

17. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    What at the hell is your problem? I am thoroughly enjoying the win. You didn't answer a question because I never asked one.

Ben has clearly been criticized, not just on this board but in the media in general, and he had a great game so I posted a comment about his telling his critics to suck it.

Don't enjoy the win... Be miserable. I don't give a ****.

18. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Also while watching the game he would get the call from the sideline and then have that look like "not this play" then he would go in the huddle. I can see the frustration.

19. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Fellas, fellas, please. We won today. We're Steeler fans. We're threatening to make this a season after all. Can't we just get along. :smiley1:

20. NashvilleCat

NashvilleCat Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Yeah, we won today because we played a tremendous second half. All of this team's problems, including Ben's, were on full display in the first half.

We gave up big plays and we failed in the red zone.

I will say that the one thing that was noticeably absent today was the offense committing turnovers. The defense also got a huge, timely turnover and the offense capitalized on it. Good job on that but this team and its QB still have plenty to work on.

21. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree, the team had some ups and downs on both sides of the ball. Great team win though.

22. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    We won... Suck it!

ben owned up today... Suck it!

D handled their end today when it mattered... Suck it!

Go STEELERS!!!

23. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    :facepalm: A win is a win is a win. I'm encouraged that it appears that we ACTUALLY MADE HALFTIME ADJUSTMENTS which enabled us to pull out the win in the second half!

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm enjoying it quite a bit myself :lolol: Great win and some redemption for Ben, guy gets crapped on way more then he deserves.

25. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Agree! :applaud: