1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the Todd Haley offense finally coming to life?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Nov 17, 2013.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Does it appear that Todd Haley's offensive system is finally starting to gel? I didn't get to watch the game today but by all accounts it seems like there was a definitive strategy with regard to offensive gameplanning. Even though Bell didn't have a great day, 22 carries would indicate that we continued to pound the rock to keep the defense honest and I like the fact that several players, including Johnson and Cotchery, can be found in the stat line. And Ben and AB were apparently clicking today.

I'd be interested to hear from those who watched the game. Is the Haley system finally developing into an effective offensive machine?

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    [tweet]402197528537362432[/tweet]

3. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Eh...some of it might be his play calling...some of it Ben...who knows...but its nowhere near a complete package at this point. The first few drives were great...then they sucked for a while and then showed some better plays at the end. Meh! hahah

4. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Who designed today's game plan ... Haley, Ben, or Tomlin ?? :shrug:

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    More:

[tweet]402199230225604608[/tweet]

6. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Mostly hurry up which also helped the O bog down in my opinion. Still not enough mixing things up, but a win is a win. I would like to see more of a setting them up style which is what we did when it looked looked like a wr screen but cotchery turned it upfield and saw some misleading in other spots. Need to get Will more involved... Need more of some keep em guessing coming. I'd also like to see the O line drop anchor push people back for a change in obvious run situations. Sure they are a rag tag bunch, but need to hammer it home now and then!

7. virginiasteelerfan

virginiasteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Not until they can run the ball. though it would be nice if the D was playing as well as the O

8. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    While I am sure haley plays a large role in the overall offense, it definitely seemed we were moving the ball a lot better in the no huddle when ben was calling the plays. But still, its haley's designed offense so he should get credit too.

9. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

I had a gut feeling a good bit of the no huddle was on Ben. Hey...maybe they can just get an OC to organize stuff, create a playbook with Ben and company and let Ben call a lot of the plays...kinda like Manning does in Denver for the most part. Then the majority won't complain about the OC...hahaha!

10. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

I kept saying during the game where is Will Johnson at...he can be part of the passing game...and help open up lanes in the running game. And that TD to Cotchery I think is a variation of that "Fall Asleep Fade" that they did I think it was last week...where they did the same formation twice...first time run...second time when the DB looked in the backfield (once Cotchy was starting to block) Cotch took off and caught the TD. 2 nice little plays.

11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe Harold from the mailroom? :shrug:

12. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    We had some good plays. We bog down for a minute there. But the first and goal when we came away with a field goal made me almost lose my tv.

I was calling that fake wr screen to the receiver then to the other receiver on the 4th down play. But I guess I'm glad they did it for a touchdown.

13. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    No running game and our red zone efficiency is awful. Until those things improve, we're still going to struggle to outscore some teams in the league, especially with our defensive problems

14. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    It's Whiz's offense

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Dissension in the ranks? Rallying behind their QB? Whatever the case, many of us have been clamoring for Ben to call the plays for a long time. So easy to see how much better it performs when they go no huddle.

16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    say goodbye to haley

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think he was gone anyway, if the Steelers choose a run of the mill OC over a 2 time SB winner, they need to have their head examined.

18. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm still trying to figure out why it has to be one or the other. If Haley isn't performing up to task, then yes, he needs to go, but why is it Ben or Haley? Is there some reason they can't co-exist? Players shouldn't be able to run coaches out of town, ever!

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You're probably right but I don't care about that, I care about the team winning, Ben wouldn't be the first to run a coach out of town. Besides, from what I can put together about Haley, he probably deserves it.

20. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I still say if you give Ben more control of the offense, the more interested and manning like he will become when he gets away from the facility and coaches. And I mean manning like as in peyton studying and film watching all the time...

21. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Not sure what makes you think that was the case. Even when BA was here, Ben didn't put in a lot film time, according to BA.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I never heard any such admission by BA, in fact I have heard the opposite, that Ben puts in a lot more work then he gets credit for. Of course that just got debunked by others as BA sticking up for his buddy.

23. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    I saw a shot of Haley talking to Ben on the sidelines and it looked to me like he said something to the effect of "Let's do...". There was another shot of Ben coming out to the huddle later on and he looked back to the sidelines with a "are you kidding me" look and then called the play.

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    True.

25. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I remember that. Me and the other Steelers fan in the bar were chuckling because we thought it was a run play on 3rd and long. :D