1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Troy Polamalu make it to the end of his contract in 2014?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Nov 5, 2013.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Or does he become another James Harrison cap casualty. His cap number for 2014 is around 8 million I think, his play doesn't warrant it though. They shouldn't extend his contract he has lost a step and is a liability in pass coverage. I would like him to finish his career in Pittsburgh with a pay cut though.

2. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think he'll restructure his contract to retire a Steeler.

3. slickster10

slickster10

Oct 23, 2011
    It's safe to buy his Jersey..........he will retire as a Steeler.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Troy, Silverback here, you better take their offer of half of what your salary should be. So you are scheduled to make 8mill/ you will
    be lucky if they offer you 4.You could also ask Franco if he has any pointers.You might want to mention this to IKE/Kiesel/Woodley.

5. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Are you kidding me! Troy works his a** off ..yes he's tries too hard at times and misfires but he usually hits it on the next play. This man can still lay the wood and takes his job serious unlike most other wannabe's on this team. He will retire a Steeler as to restructuring we will see it monetarily as well as individual's ..going to be an interesting off-season!

6. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I don't believe troy is in it solely for the money and if he needs to take a pay cut i think he will

7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    It isn't hard to see the 2014 Steelers missing Troy, Ike, Kiesel, Hood,Clark.

8. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012

Troy & Kiesel extended stay!! or by season's end they have a belly full of losing and walk but I doubt!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Up until the NE game Troy was looking like he was back to something resembling top form. The problem is not so much whether we pay him, it's who we would pay if he went.

Shamarko's looking ok, but I have a feeling we'll need him to replace Clark.

10. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    :this!: He's one of the good guys.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think a lot of whether these guys stay depends on if dick lebeau stays. the young guys won't need taught DLB's system from the elderly if we have a new DC. :cool:

12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Doesn't it look like Troy is running a 4.7 these days, he cant run guys down anymore, we need to get some speed back at strong safety, plus he looks a little fatter these days, just saying, he looks fat and slow to me........

13. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He doesn't look fat or slow to me.

14. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Arron Pryor might disagree with you!!!!

15. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    He doesn't look fat to me, he's in great shape. But he is slower.

He can still play, but maybe not at a very high level, and certainly not at his cap value. I'd hate to see him go, but it could happen.

16. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    hes been a great Steeler, but i can easily see another Rod Woodson situation happening.

the smart business move would be to let these older players go and start over, but thats probably not the popular thing to do with the fans.

we as fans want to see them win, but we also want to them win with the players we love. Troy Keisel, Ike, Clark and a few others have been great Steelers, but its pretty clear that they are at the end of their best playing days.

Troy will go down as one of the greatest Steelers to ever put on the uniform, but like so many before him his better days are behind him.

the next great Steelers are out there, but until they let go of the older guys we wont know who they are. the best time to change is now. they are on the down side as a franchise and its time to re build.

rebuilding doesnt mean they arent trying to win it just means they are in transition and its time to bring in a new era.

17. Diamond

May 26, 2012

Exactly, I've always been a team fan, too many steeler fans idolize certain players and never want to see them go: To me every player is expendable when they cant play at a high level, you keep starters on the roster who cant perform at a high level, and that's how you become a loser,Troy's best days are behind him, as well as a few other players on this team, keeping them around only hurts this team and is why we are what our record say's we are....

18. virginiasteelerfan

virginiasteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    if he's willing to take a pretty significant pay cut he'll retire a steeler, which I suspect he will. if he won't I'm sure they will cut him. no choice really. big changes have to be made next year, and they're going to need cap room.

19. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011

They won't restructure his contract...that will push more money into the future and for a 32 yr old safety that will not happen.

I think you mean ask him to take a pay cut...they are two different things...

they asked james harrison to take a pay cut not restructure which would have pushed his salary on future salary caps...he of course refused...

20. lersgofor7

Dec 6, 2011

how did that work out with james harrison? dont fool yourself when it comes to money with these guys...

21. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    just curious what you think could be his trade value ?

22. virginiasteelerfan

virginiasteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    redskins desperately need safeties, and Snyder is a dumbass.

23. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Well, if you trade Troy, you'll be trading him primarily for cap relief, so the return would likely be small. A high priced guy, who's aging, who's slowing, who's missed on avg 3-4 games/yr? I wouldn't think you'd get a 2nd Rounder for that. If he leaves for a 3rd, a lot of people here won't like it very much.

24. lersgofor7

Dec 6, 2011

you woudn't get anything for him...teams don't make trades in the nfl especially 2nd and 3rd rounds picks for expensive safties past their prime...

25. lersgofor7

Dec 6, 2011

Ike is the only guy on the list that will 100% be back