1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I AM AFRAID THERE IS NO QUICK FIX FOR THIS MESS!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Wardismvp, Nov 7, 2013.

1. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    IMO about the only thing that could be worse than now, would be to get rid of Haley (which should be done at the end of the season) and replace him with Kirby Wilson. Better yet, hell let's go ahead and do it now, that should almost guarantee a top 3 draft pick. :lolol:

2. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

I think we have two many holes to draft two young quarterbacks. We already have Laundry Jones. I don't see a point in drafting another. At least not yet. Gradkowski fills a role. A "Charlie Batch" role. I would like to see him get some playing time this season but not at the expense of Ben getting hurt.

3. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes I do. Brady was drafted in 2000. In 2002 we couldnt decide if Stewart or Maddox was our QB. With Coach Cower Im sure he would have seen Bradys talent maybe even in 2001 and started him than.

4. scruffy

Jan 3, 2012
    Since Brown should be good for 3 or so games now, I wonder who we will see get benched in the Buffalo game? :facepalm:

5. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    If we are down by 24 with 2 min left.......I hope everybody!!!

6. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Probably Moye. AFTER he catches a td pass. LOL.

7. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Young was a fluke thing but a cool story. The 49'ers only gave up 2nd and 4th round draft picks for a player everyone thought was a bust.

8. scruffy

Jan 3, 2012
    I'd say the punter is probably safe for at least the 1st half of the game. :smiley1:

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    read my post above BFT. I never said that. I do know that when bens time is done, I doubt we have a pick this high again to draft his replacement then.

I guess i'm more of a guy that likes to plan for the future and not want to wait for the last minute and make a hasty decision because I have nobody in place, except a bruce gradkowski and Charlie batch at 60.

there are some good qb's in this draft class. there may not be when we need a new one. ben's end is coming, like it or not. the guy can't play forever and if he does we can't afford him. heck we can barely afford to field a team around him now.

this way we have, AT THE VERY LEAST, two years to see who takes the spot between the two.

we will still need backups then too. I wouldn't expect the next guy to be quite as tough as ben and able to take the beating like he does. in this league you better have a good backup as we and other teams have seen before. ben would play with his left arm shoved up his butt. we are spoiled with him.

look what foles did in relief of mike vick for philly. look how cousins helped the skins last year. they are becoming even more important in a pass first league. the game managers are only going to get you so far without a great team around them.

there is no reason why, if we pick top 5-7 that we couldn't move down even a spot or two and accumulate a lot of picks and still be able to grab a top QB. i'm just saying let's keep our options open and see where we fall and who's interested. a lot of changes and more info is going to come out on these picks.

dropping one spot in last years top 10 earned a pretty hefty bounty for a couple of teams. the browns were one. they just blew it having to scramble to grab a QB. again.

if we have two here and a franchise guy for a couple of years, to see if they are worthy, i'd rather go that route then pick and be stuck without. we have a lot of ways to go if we are picking that high.:smiley1: there I wrote you a book my friend. LOL:eek::cool:

10. virginiasteelerfan

virginiasteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    it shouldn't take the steelers all that long to rebuild. for starters, they have a QB. that's is by far the hardest piece to fill. it took cowher almost his entire carer to get one. second, there are other players on the team that are worth keeping, and good at their positions. the receiving corp isn't terrible, it just lacks a top 5 QB. having a pro bowl caliber receiver would fix that unit and make brown and sanders twice as productive. Bell will probably be a suitable RB once we get a decent line together. we have a center, and really just need a good tackle to drastically improve that unit. the D needs a little more help, but isn't years and years off. a pro bowl caliber nose tackle and a shutdown corner along with a pro bowl caliber pass rusher would make a night and day difference there.

but the best part is, the team is terrible. great opportunity to cut loos a lot of over paid aging or under performing vets. ditto for the staff. because (under that scenario) we'd be bringing in a lot of new player, great opportunity to bring in some new staff and get player that compliment what it wants to do. with a lot of cap money from dumping vets, and a 3rod or 4th pick in each round (plus whatever picks they can get through trades) and this thing can be fixed in a 2-3 year window.

I think the much harder position is that of 8-8, middle of the pack. doesn't really justify a wholesale house cleaning, but changes have to be made

11. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Well the reason I was asking you that was because you've been pretty supportive or at least patient with them over the Landry pick but then when I saw you talking about taking another I thought maybe you were having second thoughts about him. I appreciate the book and now that I know how old you are I will be awaiting your memoirs. LOL.

12. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I thought he was saying Charlie Batch would be 60.

13. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I thought Charlie was already 60. LOL.

14. scruffy

Jan 3, 2012
    BFT, ya think Ben could beat Charlie in a 40-yd dash? :hmmm:

15. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Wait wait wait....Im not even sure Ben could run 40 yrds in one clip.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    LOL thanks. with friends like you....... LOL:lolol:.

I still liked the jones pick. :cool:

17. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    I thought with age came wisdom......:rolleyes:

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    eventually but it's not a thing of beauty anymore. ow my foot,ow my toe,ow my ankle,ow my knee,ow my shoulder,ow my ribs.............that's in the first 10 feet. LOL:lolol: God love him. :cool:

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    well things take time. it's like the young bull and the old bull standing on the hill overlooking all the cows in the pasture. the young one said hey let's run down there and get us one of them beauties. the old bull says let's walk down and get em all.;):cool:

20. scruffy

Jan 3, 2012
    Rather appropiate for post for number 7,000 ... congrats Mac. :thumbsup:

21. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Old Bull here.....Id say lets walk down take our time and get the best lookin one cuz I aint doing the whole heard anyway...Not at my age....:smiley1:

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    LOL thanks scruffy. just means I talk a lot. never said I knew what I was talking about though.:rolleyes::cool:

23. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I guarantee you NOT.

24. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    7000 post.......Nice job Mac D.....:thumbs_up:Thats a lot!!!

25. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Little Jimmy Dickens say you'll know you're old when your wife says "honey let's run up stairs and make love" and your answer is "I can not do both."