1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who does the drafting? Colbert or Tomlin?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 12to88, Nov 5, 2013.

1. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    There have been debates in other threads about who's to blame for personnel decisions, particularly in the draft. I have argued that most of the personnel decisions in that regard are Tomlin's. Today, there are some reports (though I can't confirm them) that Tomlin admitted as much and said, "I take responsibility for the players we have drafted since I've been here."

The story has come up in two places:

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot...eed:+blogspot/pROmMH+(NFL+from+the+sidelines)

and

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/s...ngs-out-of-steelers-headquarters-today/61854/

But neither seems to be a reliable source of info. Has anyone seen this elsewhere? Regardless, maybe this isn't evidence of anything and could just be Tomlin taking one for the front office. Who knows.

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    both , and seems they are failing big

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe I'll look for it when I have time but I read an article that quoted Colbert saying no moves are made without his approval. The break down was that he gets a bunch of input from the scouts and coaches and then he complies a list which then goes in front of Rooney who then crosses off anyone that he deems questionable with character concerns then the list goes back to Colbert and he makes the final decision. He's the GM, have no idea why people are confused as to who makes these moves. Unless your name is Bill Belichick, the GM makes the personnel moves, hence, the General Manager title.

4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, the Steelers management are relatively quiet with regards to how they do stuff, but this is what I believe to be the case. Colbert gets input from everyone and of course Tomlin has a huge amount of influence on who is taken, but at the end of the day it's Colbert's call.

5. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    I know this is a shot in the dark but any feelings on how well Cowher could do as the GM? Might not work well with him being a former head coach and I don't believe he would take it, but I love BC and I'd love to see him back.

6. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Bill ain't coming back and probably for many reasons. Too much going on at the time personally and probably is why his ship sailed. I'd like to know if he had his ears to the tracks and saw the younger Rooney ponying up and decided to rinse his hands?

7. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Yeah your probably right but I would love to see him back someway somehow

8. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I feel ya

9. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    There was the article that someone posted about Gay ... in it DL thanked Tomlin (not Colbert) for bringing Gay back.

There was also the Tomlin drafting Pryor article.

10. virginiasteelerfan

virginiasteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I was always under the impression cowher pretty much was the GM. remember, he told rooney it was either him or Donahue............and the Rooney's canned Tom. colbert was always a figurehead. Cowher was making all the decisions.

also, you can't leave out the scouting dept. though either the coach or GM is pulling the trigger at the end of the day, the scouting dept is giving them the info they're basing their decisions on.

11. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!:

12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I really, really don't put a lot of stock in the Pryor article.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think the wife of the guy that delivers pizza's to the locker room after practice makes most of the picks. oh, with the help of timmy the paperboy as the o-line talent scout. I believe I read somewhere that in prior years, colberts wife picked the o-linemen. that's what I heard.:shrug:

:cool:

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes Tomlin admitted(on TV) that he is reponsible for all the picks since he has been here.Now who do you believe? I say him and Colbert and scouting department are the culprits. So what do you do?

15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Dang, And here the whole time I thought they scouted the message boards for all of the fans inputs and then picked the one that remained on the board at the time of the pick.
    Unfortunately, I'm still left scratching my head over passing up Lacy now that I see how hard he runs for the Pack.