1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who's your surprise veteran cut

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Aug 25, 2013.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Never thought about Kiesel, I'd say if they need to free up some money to extend E. Sanders it's possible.

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They won't get a 5th for Cotchery besides they need to keep him in case of injury to Sanders or Brown. When the Steelers traded Santonio Holmes they only got a 6th for him and he was a Superbowl MVP, they would be lucky to get a 7th for Cotchery.

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    With the departure of Harrison and Snack, there is no way we part company with Kiesel this year. We need his veteran leadership and he's still playing at a high level. Maybe he's not extended or given a more reasonable contract once his expires, but I think he plays this one out.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not a chance in hell that Kiesel gets released. There is no one proven behind him, Heyward will get worked into the fold more this season and will be his eventual replacement but they aren't going to jettison one of their best players from last season yet.

5. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm thinking Hailey gets cut. Oh, wait you said player...nevermind!

6. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    This

7. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    That damn Haley should be fired. What the hell is wrong with him anyway ... trying to play and immediately rely on his #2 and #3 draft picks this year for offensive production. Who the hell does he think he is? Even some #1 picks should be made to sit for a couple of years before they are sloooowly worked into the lineup.

8. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Hey, I'm only trying to remain as optimistic as everyone else on the message boards since pre-season has started! lol You ever noticed how close optimistic sounds to pessamistic? I know another deep moment in the mind of Jim!

9. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    '
    Keisel gets one more year of the big buc's then he will have a choice either move on or take a major pay cut. If he has a good year!

10. scruffy

Jan 3, 2012
    Wow I can't believe it; cut a defensive player in order to sign an offensive player? Just checking, but are you un-injured and still alive today? :lolol:

11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Kiesel was here for 5 years before he became a starter, so he has a lot left in the tank when you consider he hasn't had the wear a 12 year starter would have endured, don't retire him just yet, he still brings it and will bring it again this year....

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Didn't people basically say the same about Harrison being able to play longer cause he didn't play much early on?

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I never suggested it. Just commenting on someone else's suggestion.

14. scruffy

Jan 3, 2012
    Using that logic, next year we should keep Kiesel and cut Ben. Hell, Gradkowski hasn't seen much wear & tear thru the years, so he should be able to take over for Ben and do just fine. :facepalm:

15. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Harrison (IS) still playing, and it was just about money or he would still be playing here instead of for the bungles, Kiesel has been a starter for 7 years, he has some years left is all I'm saying.....

16. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    No logic at all, just facts, how you bring Ben into a Kiesel debate defies logic, gradkowski was brought here to be a backup, Kiesel was drafted to earn a starting spot at DE, which he did when we let Kimo Von Oelhoffen go, come up with a better suited scenario to make your case, the one you used makes no sense.....

17. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    While I agree Keisel still has a lot in the tank.....Harrison cost himself money...and I think there was something else going on.....The Steelers offered him...what 4 of his 6 mill....him and his agent said no....he becomes a FA and no one is interested...the Steelers then tell him they don't want him back at any price....and he signs with the Bengals for I think 2 mill....

The sad thing is I really think Harrison plays for his love of the game....and the Steelers should have brought him back...if at the 2 mill the Bengals got him for...but maybe they came back saying...ok..we will take the 4 you offered two months ago...and the Steelers then saw his league value.

That being said...Harrison is one of the best players and leaders in a Cinnci front 7 that is one of the best in the league.

I think Cinnci takes the division this year....Pitt and Balt fighting for a Wild Card Spot

HACK

18. scruffy

Jan 3, 2012
    Ok let me try again ... Why do we keep defensive folks for such long periods in backup roles (you say Kiesel was a backup for 5 years and now Cam, a #1 pick, is working on his 3rd year as a backup), yet expect instant contributions from our offensive players, and then complain when the offense isn't very successful?

Where exactly do you plan to free up the cap money to re-sign Kiesel next year and who don't you want to attempt to re-sign; should we attempt to resign Kiesel next year over say: Clark, Sanders, Cotchery, F.Jones, Redman, Dwyer, LSH, Hood, Woods, or Woirlds?

Edit: Believe it or not, I like Kiesel too; but, unless the Steelers trade Cam Heyward (highly unlikely) I just doubt they will attempt to keep Kiesel with all of the other folks they have to re-sign and as tight as they are on cap room.

19. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    After reading this, I`m not so sure it`s as dumb a move as you think, Design...
    http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4595383-74/mcfadden-steelers-linebackers#axzz2dJnjVegE

It would be a surprise to me, given how much we like to keep veterans, but Worillds has had his chances, and probably REALLY pissed off Coach T with a couple penalties in the pre-season.
    I`m not sayin that`s a good reason to cut him, but sometimes Tomlin comes across as heavy-handed, to make his point...
    See,.. benching any back that fumbled against the Clowns last year...
    Till he ran out of backs...
    I dunno...
    I didn`t realize Worilld`s young competition, besides Jones, was as good as they were, till I watched the first couple preseason games, but it certainly makes me reconsider his spot being "safe"...
    With Jones, and the rest of the younginz breathin down his neck, I would no longer consider him a "shocker" to be cut...
    Only shocked, because we seemed "invested" in him to this point...
    Things change quickly in a "what have you done for me lately" league...
    Sum kids have come in and done a lot, "lateley", to give the coaches sumthin to think about,
    And after 3 years or so of bein here, he is only "good enough", a`la Ziggy Hood, and the coaches have had some time to watch him. and see what his "ceiling" is...
    They just might decide one of the younger players has more upside.
    I wouldn`t be SHOCKED, but I would be surprised...
    This staff also, doesn`t seem to like to admit they made mistakes in their draft picks...
    Just Sayin...
    Another thing, The rookies are probably even cheaper than his 985,000...
    I`m not sayin I would cut him, but all of a sudden, I wouldn`t be shocked if they let him go..
    Has he shown enuff to get picked up elsewhere?
    If so, I`m thinkn as a backup, not a starter. Of course, he`s had limited audition time, as well...
    Just another reason, I`m glad I ain`t the one in charge of making these choices, on ANY team...
    It`s always a gamble!
    GO STEELERS!!!

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    actually keisel was drafted as an OLB for his first several years.:cool:

21. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Surprise cuts? First let me address some I disagree with-

Worilds- ain't going anywhere. He made some dumb mental overly aggressive costly penalties but that is easily fixed. He was just trying too hard to impress with the kid behind him. He's a good OLB on either side, left or right and that alone keeps him here.

Kesiel- Please, they'll cut Heyward first. Keisel has plenty left, they have cap space and Woods could easily replace Heyward and arnfelt replace Woods on the depth chart.

Foote- again not going anywhere this year-----maybe! This is his last year as we have TOO many ILBers. What he brings to the team is his calling the defense on gamedays. He has led this team and knows what to call and when. If McFadden, who I believe is next up in making the calls, can show he has the smarts, then he's gone. Foote could be a surprise cut but I doubt it this year.

Cotchery- Jerricho doesn't get the big numbers or glory, but he is pure and steady over the middle and with Miller out we'll need that veteran presence underneath. He also brings coaching to the young guys by example. Have you guys noticed Sanders blocking this pre-season. Thank Cotchery. Noticed Wheaton, despite playing WR as a rookie and not being in any OTA's/Mini camp being up to date on plays/rtes and everything else. Thank Cotchery. Tomlin will reward him with a roster spot and this is his final hurrah!!

Dwyer is my surprise vet cut. Tomlin is letting him put on tape his skills so he'll get a job this year but we just don't have the room. When Bell got injured and we where forced to trade for F. Jones that cost Dwyer. Its a numbers game and we ain't carrying six RBs. His only hope is an unfortunate injury or if Redmans's stinger is worse than we know.

Cajun-

22. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Actually thank ben for that one he and Wheaton worked on routes and terminology for the three weeks before camp.

23. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Mann, Our WR coach publicly stated that he put Cotchery with Wheaton before/during the OTAs/mini camp times to help him get caught up and that Cotchery did an outstanding job of coaching him up. Didn't mean to leave out Ben as in the end the job is between them as they must work out timing and things but this was about explaining cotchery's value and why he will not be cut this year.

Cajun-

24. IggySteel

IggySteel Active Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think with the trade for F. Jones, that either Dwyer or Redman may be a surprise cut. It kinda depends on just how bad Bell's injury is. If they think he may be back by the 3rd-4th week, going in with one of Redman/Dwyer, along with Jones, LSH, Bell, and W. Johnson may be a possibility.

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think this is spot on. I was against keeping Cotch over the kids but since they already let Woods go, I think they may carry six. If only 5 though, who goes?

Might be right about Dwyer, do they still get compensation if they cut him? If not, they may be in his favor, Red was undrafted, will get nothing for him anyway.