1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Timmons being disrespected!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Jun 27, 2013.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Look Hugesnack, I'm defending your boy Timmons!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been hard on Timmons over the years and I make no apologies for that. I'm not gonna re-hash all that as it is public matter but I'm offering this---

Timmons is NOT on the NFL's Top 100 players list as supposedly voted on by players and this is a shame. His play the last two seasons is among the top 5 of all ILBers in the NFL. He started slow but he is amongst the top tier now but why is he being left off this list?

Cajun-

2. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Him being pulled around the defense, playing at OLB hurt him for a while. He just wasn't playing well there and it seemed like it took him some time to get back into a groove on the inside, and as you said... He started slow last season.

Those things contributed to it, but I think you're right. I'd say he's certainly top 5, maybe top 3.

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    In the entire league??? Are you kidding me? I like Timmons and it was good to see him step it up last year, but there is NO WAY he's even in the top 10 at this point. If he builds on last year and continues to show up consistently, then maybe we can talk about him moving into the top 7 or 8, but he's not there yet. He's capable of making spectacular plays but he's also capable of disappearing for long stretches as we've seen in the past. He was more consistent as the year went on last year and I hope that continues, but you're giving him way too much credit IMHO.

4. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Let me offer this:
    Timmons was ranked by Profootball Focus as the 5th best ILB overall. 2nd in sacks and 2nd in ints among all ILB. He's also 4th in opposing QB rating.

Cajun-

5. turkeysniper

turkeysniper Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    so out of curiosity who are your ten better than timmons jack? personally i think timmons is a little underrated because he doesn't produce as many highlight reel hits as others, but still a very solid all around linebacker.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Why is that so surprising? Based on last years play, he was easily a top 10 in the league. I'd have to put more thought in it for a top 5 but absolutely top 10.

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well, after my knee-jerk reaction I need to back up a little. If we're talking ILBs I think Timmons does crack the top 10. If we're talking all LBs I'm not so sure. I'm also not ready to put him in the top 3-5 ILBs in the league just yet. If he can build on last year, he could be heading in that direction.

8. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Well, since theNFL sends 13 or 14 LBs to the Pro Bowl every yr, and since Timmons has not yet been to one. The idea that Lawrence Timmons might not be a top 10 LB is neither insane nor disrespectful. Maybe he's under rated, I don't know. But it accurately reflects how he's viewed by media, coaches and fellow players.

With 32 teams in the league,on average only 3 or 4 players per team would make the top 100, and I'll bet at least 60 are offensive players. Is Timmons one of the Steelers 3 best players? Well, I don't think he's better than Ben, Troy or Pouncey. So that puts him near the borderline of the top 100. No surprise to me.

9. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Thanks Cajun. I'm irked by it too, but the whole list is bogus. The way they do it is stupid, too. They just have guys write in their top 20 players on a blank sheet of paper? That's it? And we wonder how Dennis Pitta makes it and Jimmy Graham doesn't? Well it only takes like 2 guys on Baltimore putting him up there, right? I've spent my whole life being outraged over lists like this (including the Pro Bowl, Hall of Fame, meaningless magazine articles, etc). At some point it's easier to not pay attention. But yes, he should be on there.

10. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    This logic sounds like a way to make every team have the same number of players on the list, not a way to make a list of the best 100 players.

BTW, Ray Lewis was #20 on last year's list. :lolol:

If he hadn't retired he'd still be there. Probably higher, after the Super Bowl win. Let's not get confused and call this anything other than a high school popularity contest.

11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I agree. That's what I've learned to do, too.

12. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    All I was trying to do is to point out how hard it is to be in the top 100. It averages out to only 3 or 4players per team. I'm not arguing that the top 100 is or should be evenly distributed. There about 1700 players on NFL 53 man roster you have to be in the upper5% of league to make the top 100.

The original poster is indignant that LT is not in the top 100. Well, is he EVER one of 13 or so LBs that go to the Pro Bowl? No, but Harrison Woodley and Farrior were, during Timmons time here. Is he one of the 3 or 4 best players on his team? I don't think so. If its so flipin' obvious that LT is in the Top 100, shouldn't the answer to a least one of these questions be "yes"?

13. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    No, and you're not really distancing yourself from your statement: "I'm not arguing that the top 100 is or should be evenly distributed." Who cares if he's in the top 3 or 4 Steelers? Who cares what the average should be per team, if it was all even? If we have the best 25 players in the league, those 25 should be numbers 1 through 25 on the list. If we have no good players, none of them should be on it.

In any case, if you go back to 2010, then cut Timmons slack for playing out of position in 2011, then look at 2012, he makes a very strong case for being right in the middle of that list, in my opinion. And to form that opinion, I did not consider how many players on his team might also rank on the list. That's an opinion anyone can disagree with, but I don't think bringing in the number of other Steelers on the list makes sense.

14. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    All these "best of" lists are just incredibly lame. NFL Network is turning in to a VH1 Classic for football fans. They shoot these shows and try and get people nostalgic over something that HAPPENED LITERALLY MONTHS AGO! It's just another way for them to push their guys they like. I don't put any stock whatsoever in these lists. I don't even watch the shows because it's just so lame how they talk about the people on this list like they're Hall of Famers. Just my opinion. But it is right though. LOL.

15. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    The players that voted on this are on my sh** list!

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I too wonder why no pro bowl, good point AFan. I personally like
    LT. I too have been hard on him.But he has had to play multiple positions
    when people were out. And didn't ***** about it.

17. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Honestly, I am a big fan LT. I have been in his corner since he got here and will continue to be. When I watch him all I see is upside and think he will only get better. Anyhow, I don't need anyone else's list to tell me who I like or who I think is good. ;)

18. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Are we talking about the top 100 players as voted on by the other players that the NFL Network and NFL.com put out every year? If so, I think the Aaron Hernandez situation is clearly showing us that most NFL players aren't too smart and can be just plain dumb and that not too much stock should be placed in this list. Donovan McNabb didn't even know the overtime rules! Seriously? Nothing to see here. Move along.

19. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    You aint kidding Bobby! I work with this guy that played some football at UT and played high school football with Randall Cobb. He said he would have liked to have went to the NFL but then when I asked him who his favorite player is he couldn't even hardly think of one. I think that these kids just view it almost like a "get rich quick" scheme. The actual integrity of the game means nothing to them and the integrity of a FRANCHISE realllllly means nothing to them. When Ben was having his problems people were asking me if I was gonna defend him if he turned out to be guilty and I said that my true allegiance is to the black and gold and not a certain player regardless of how good they are.

20. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    It's the secret NFL Network doesn't want you to know: the players are no smarter than fans. They are 23 year old X Box and Playstation players, just like everyone else. They believe the garbage that comes out of Warren Sapp's mouth just like other morons. The players, the coaches, the pundits... most of them either don't know what they're tlaking about and take the word of someone else, or have an agenda to push.

Speaking of Donovan McNabb, he made the top 100 list even after he was completely washed up and backing up Rex Grossman.

21. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

If you want to argue that the Steelers have more than share of top100 players fine, I won't argue with you. But they did finish 8-8, and so if they are particularly talent laden how'd they manage that?

Anyhow, every yer the NFL sense a hundred players to the Pro Bowl, a top 100 list if you like. Timmons has not been on that list either, ever. So omitting him from this one is not disrespectful, it's normal

22. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Well, I would think it would be hard for any Steelers fan to attribute the poor 2012 record to a lack of talent. The 2011 Eagles "Dream Team" finished 8-8 too, and most pundits had them fitted for rings before the season started. That year, they had 6 players on the list, 2 in the top 20. We had 4.

23. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    What does the team record have to do with individual player talent? This isn't a list of the top 100 teams. Suppose we had the 10 best players in the league, and also the 43 worst players in the league. That could lead us to an 8-8 season, or a 2-14 season. But we should still have the top 10 spots on the list. You still seem to be having trouble separating player talent with team results.

How are "disrespectful" and "normal" mutually exclusive? When I say disrespect in this context, I'm not talking about being mean, I just mean not getting the respect deserved. Every single year Heath Miller doesn't reach the Pro Bowl, he's not getting proper respect. Same with Aaron Smith. It is/was completely normal for those guys to be totally ignored. I think they've each made it to one Pro Bowl as a reserve, and Miller's was only after like 4 other guys dropped out. Does that make it right? I mean, it's normal for them to be ignored. So it's not wrong or disrespectful?

24. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    RG 3 would probably rank Timmons as the number 1 inside backer after Timmons owned him in the last game they played......

25. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I know a guy who I occasionally see at work who is best friends from high school with Will James, formerly know as Will Peterson and current imprisoned felon, a 3rd round pick of the Giants in 2001. The guy I know was a former college FB player at Cal U and ran around with James/Peterson a lot in his days in NYC. Thru James, he developed friendships with a bunch of players over the years including Plaxico. Given his relationships, I figured this guy would have a lot of interesting insight into NFL life and offer a different perspective on the NFL. Not so. Talking to him and getting his opinions are no more enlightening, intelligent, and well thought out than what I get here on this MB. In other words, the guy is ordinary when I thought he'd be extraordinary. In fact he's said somethings over the years that have been real head scratchers, like not knowing basic rules about football.

I also have a neighbor who is a huge hockey fan. Played all the way to the college level and as a freshman was paired defensively with Pens coach Dan Bylsma. You'd think he'd be up on all of the rules and know everything about hockey. You'd think that he'd know the basic rules inside and out. Nope. During the Pens 1st round playoffs this year, they went into OT versus the Isles with a late goal. He was telling everyone watching the game about how OT works in the NHL and that they were headed for a shoot-out!?! Huh? (Playoff OTs are not decided by a shoot out for those non hockey fans).

Anyway, my point is that people that you'd think are in the know, people who are close to the game or even in the game, people who you think would have a valid and educated opinion on things are often just as clueless as us Joe-ordinary fans.

I think a quote by George Carlin can accurately sum up the whole thing:
    [h=1]"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”[/h]