1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Any gun guys here?

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by blountforcetrauma, Jun 20, 2013.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I've got a lot of old guns that my papaw left me that I never use and I was curious if anyone here could tell me what some of them might be worth. I've not hunted in probably 10 years and just don't foresee myself doing it again. There are really only 2 guns in all of them that are absolutely off limits. There are some REALLY old shotguns and a Remington muzzleloader. The two that I wouldn't sell are a 30-06 and a 30-30 which is what my papaw got for me to hunt with and I killed my first deer with it and those two guns are just really sentimental to me. I just don't plan on using any of the other ones and every time I try to look online to figure out what a gun is worth it always just brings up forums and stuff like that. I'm trying to rebuild my Ninja Turtle action figure collection and I was gonna use the money I might be able to get from some of the guns to help finance that. Any ideas on where I can find a good price guide or anything like that? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Can you list the year, make and model of the guns you're hoping to get a value for? That would help you get some results. I think I could probably get some approximate values just through google.

3. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah they're across the yard over at my Auntie's house and after I get home today I will go over there and take a look at them. I also have a lot of old pocket knives. I wonder if those are worth anything? A lot of Case and Old Timer knives. My papaw swore by Case. Are there certain things that people look for in a gun to place value on it or does just the fact that it's really old make it worth something?

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Condition goes a long way in determining value.

5. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    This. I suppose you might call me a gun guy, but determining value isn't something I could even guess at. I'm not a collector.

Your best bet may be to go to your closest gun show and find a collector there if the guns are old, have a very low serial number or seem like they may be rare(er) or special in some way. But talk to more than one. ;)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  6. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

From a financial standpoint he would be much better off selling privately even if a FFL is required by law. We still need a list of what he's got. By any remote chance is there a barrel for an HK P2000sk chambered in 357sig?

7. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  8. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    So I went and looked at the guns and got the serial numbers on them and now I can't find a place online to tell me what they are. There's a 12 gauge that's over 100 years old. There's a Remington 1100 Semi-Auto shotgun which apparently from what I can tell goes for like $450-500 online. There's a PSE-XB 300-MAGNUM Crossbow with a scope, crank, real tree soft case, and a quiver full of arrows and some broadheads. There's also my Marlin 30-30 lever action that's probably about a mid 60s model. There's also my papaw's Remington 30-06 that I'd never sell because of sentimental reasons. But there's a Thompson Muzzleloader and I wonder what it would be worth. I've got the serial numbers for them all but when I type them in online it literally responds in another language. Does anyone know how I can check those numbers?

9. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
  10. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I don't know what you'll be able to do with just the serial numbers, personally. Depending on the year and condition, you're probably pretty close with the 1100 value. I can give you some approximate ballpark guesses, just based on glancing at my Dad's Firearm Catalog.

Marlin 30-30 - probably in the $300-400 ballpark depending on condition.

PSE-XB 300-MAGNUM Crossbow- between $300-400.

What type is the 100 year old shotgun? How old is the Thompson? I imagine somewhat newer like '90s or '00s, right?

Those are just starting points...take them with a grain of salt. If you can't get solid valuations, you may want to look into getting the most recent Blue Book of Gun Values~ http://www.amazon.com/34th-Edition-...&qid=1372080872&sr=8-1&keywords=gun+blue+book

Maybe your local library has a copy you can borrow?

11. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    No that Thompson is REALLY old. It's probably at least 30 years old. My father-in-law said that muzzleloaders are real spotty when it comes to valuing them because hunters change their minds about what kind they would like to have so often. I personally always liked to use a Knight when I used to hunt all the time. There was also an Eastern Arms 16gauge that's REALLY old also. I couldn't find the serial number on it and didn't know at the time that the serial number didn't really help you all that much. If my wife doesn't go in to labor tonight when I get home I plan to go and get the guns and take them to his house to let him look them over. A guy I work with will probably buy the crossbow. I got some good pics of it and it's in really good shape and PSE is a pretty popular brand from what I can tell.

12. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
  13. turkeysniper

turkeysniper Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    cabelas and bass pro both give quotes on older and antique firearms. most local gun stores could give you a pretty good idea too. manufacturers sometimes have a place to track serial numbers on their websites. really the serial numbers will just give a good approximation of age most of the time. i know you're not planning on selling it but, the marlin will be worth more than your estimation if it really is manufactured in the 60's. rifle guys feel like long guns had a better feel and were more accurate before manufacturing process changed in the late 60's and early 70's. by the way i have a shotgun of grandpa's over a hundred years old thats worth about 50 dollars. supply and demand, reputation of manufacturer, willingness of the buyer to spend money, those are the factors for the collector market.

14. turkeysniper

Sep 11, 2012
    by the way those case knives will be worth quite a bit too if they're from the 60's or so. while you're at it look for box calls made by neil cost if you're grandpa was a turkey hunter.

15. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    He DID used to make those! I don't know where they would be but he would make the box with a piece of wood that would slide across the top and put chalk on it to make the noise. Is that what you're talking about? He never did turkey hunt but he did used to have those calls though. There definitely are some Case knives that are that old for sure. I'd have to get them out and look at them though. They're over at my mamaw's house I think.

16. turkeysniper

Sep 11, 2012
    yup, those are the ones. neil cost calls are all signed and normally have some sort of memo also. if you have any of those they'd probably be worth more than any of your guns, maybe two of them.

17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Oh. Well they aren't that specific brand. He actually made them himself with his own hands. I'm sorry that I misunderstood you about that.

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I was just wanting to get an opinion on whether or not I'm asking a fair price for this. One of the things I've wanted to sell was a PSE Magnum CrossBow that's in very good condition and still has the scope and crank and Real Tree soft case. So I listed it on Armslist for $425. Do you guys "in the know" think that's a fair deal or am I wasting my time and should I just take it down?