1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2013 Steelers Draft Discussion Thread [No Spoilers]

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Apr 25, 2013.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Well it's not what I hoped for, but the run on QB's increased the perceived value. It is what it is.

2. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    no

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Moved up to get Thomas

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Interesting comments from John Gruden on Jones.

“I didn’t really like a lot of the plays he had to run at Oklahoma,” Gruden writes. “Last season, the Sooners consistently didn’t have any tight ends as options in the passing game, and didn’t do enough to give Jones the option to have easy outlets, which eliminated the opportunity to dump the ball off to tight ends or running backs. If I’m going to criticize anybody for that, I’m going to criticize Oklahoma. The Sooners often went with four-wideout formations, and I thought it stymied their QB. They lost balance and their play-action passing game. That put a lot on Jones, and it probably created a situation where he had to throw the ball too often.”

In Gruden’s opinion, Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops and his staff didn’t do a good enough job of running an offense that played to Jones’s strengths.

It looks like he's a classic Haley type of QB, accurate with a quick release. The kid was outstanding his first two years in college and many thought of him as a first round pick. If Gruden's analysis is correct we might have gotten a steal by grabbing him in the 4th and letting him develop a bit.

5. domaug

domaug Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Vikings picked Hodges... :\

i'm a big fan of Hodges

6. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    If that's the case, he'll be worth a pretty loaded compensation if we trade him after 1 or 2 years!

7. NashvilleCat

NashvilleCat Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    In other words, he's not a good fit for our offense.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I like the Thomas pick he hits hard and has good speed Landry Jones seems to shy away from the pass rush.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I wasn't a fan of taking any QB so not a real big fan of that pick. I don't however know anything about this guy so can't really trash it aside from just not wanting a QB. I would have rather taken a chance on Bray if we were going to pick one.

10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i think bw webb could have been the pick if dallas don't take him
    jones behind our line is ridiculous

11. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Trent Dilfer just said basically the same thing.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he's a perfect fit for what our OC wants our offense to be.:cool:

13. nwsteelerfan

nwsteelerfan Member

Feb 9, 2012
    How is he not a good fit?? We use the tight end and want to run the ball more.

14. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

What are you talking about? Did you actually see how many 2-3 tight end sets we ran with Haley? Passes to tight ends and running backs? He's a perfect fit for what Haley likes to do, accurate with a quick release.

15. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

DING DING DING

Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner!

16. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    115. Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma: C- Grade
    I usually like Steelers picks, so it feels weird to give them a bad grade. They needed a backup quarterback, but Landry Jones is barely functional. Many people I trust believe that Jones should have gone undrafted. After all, he wasn't even used in the red zone at Oklahoma

17. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Warming up to the Landry Jones pick a little bit. Value was there because of all the QBs going. I'm so fired up about the Shamarko pick though, love that guy and think he will learn a lot from Troy and ultimately be the man for us!

18. SteelerFanInKC

SteelerFanInKC Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Steelers reportedly shopping RB Jonathan Dwyer

19. antennaman1969

antennaman1969 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
  20. NashvilleCat

NashvilleCat Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Crawler on the draft today said we set a franchise record for percentage of pass plays in a season. What they say and what they're doing are two very different things.

21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Really?

22. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Are you being sarcastic?

23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    OUr number of passes went up, but under Haley they were significantly shorter passes. Far more passes to TE's and RB's which requires a qb with a quick release and accuracy. That fits this kid very well.

24. antennaman1969

antennaman1969 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Part of the "doing" depends on personnel, doesn't it? If we don't have the horses, we can't run the dream offense. We got our 300-carry guy, replaced Wallace, started backing up our safeties, and got a backup qb with clear potential. If the line gels together, then the dream offense gets run.

25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Alright I have calmed down a little bit ,as much as I like when we pick guys that can help right away and a part of me feels there were some other players to be had. I go back to a saying a friend if mine who is also a big Steeler fan says"It's better than what we got" as far as backup QBs.

Who do you guys feel are our targets from here on out?