1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

No Sanders , No problem

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Badboy212, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Originally, I was against the idea of this happening, but the more I look at it, I am ok if he walks. He will want more money after this year, and a 3rd round pick is what we get in return which is better than nothing if he walked after next year. Here is how this may all play out- Sanders walks we get the Pats 91st pick. We trade down a few spots in the draft and snag another pick in the first couple rounds which would give us 5 picks in the top 100 selections. Think about that. Doesn't mean all picks would ever pan out but this would go a long way in "retooling" this team. We sign Bradshaw to shore up the RB spot and now things don't look so bad. Trading down for an extra pick makes plenty of sense, and even cash strapped as we are can be managed as well. Maybe this is the draft we could use to fill in some of the craters left from the 08 , 10 draft classes

2. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    same here. an extra 3rd round pick this year can be very valuable...this is one of the deepest drafts there has been in years!

3. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    And if we get someone of equal caliber (not hard to do IMHO), he'll cost us less/year and can't be a FA until what, 2018? CYA

4. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    yup!

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think either scenario, him staying or leaving are both ok. Only if we sign him to an extension though, if we are going to lose him at the end of next year anyway, then I definitely let him walk and take the pick.

6. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, let him walk and use the extra pick.

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Not hard to do... in Madden...

I appreciate the draft is deep, but that doesn't mean every WR will end up being a starter in the NFL.

The only reason I can see for letting Sanders go ultimately is to get someone who doesn't have the nagging injuries. Ability-wise, he may not be a HOFer, but he's certainly not someone we grabbed off the street. He's a bona fide quality receiver.

I can't help thinking that Sanders is rapidly becoming the new scapegoat now Wallace and Mendenhall are gone.

8. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    It's not hard to replace 44 catches and 1 td. My thing is he signed and it was his decision so if you don't want to be here see ya.

9. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!:

He may be borderline or average as a #2, but people act like that means he's nothing. Dude is a very good slot receiver. That's not something you just find in any round. And even if you could snag a perfect replacement, it's not something you want to have to waste a pick on if you already have it on your team. I liked him a lot, and I don't even care about his foot problems. The only thing that eases my mind about this at all is the fact that we might have been unable to re-sign him after this year anyway. In terms of the field, this is a loss bigger than a 3rd round pick, and the Patriots got a bargain. On top of all that, they are 100% going to use him better than we did, and they'll look like geniuses.

Here are the receivers drafted in the 3rd round from the year Sanders was drafted, plus the year before and after:

Derrick Williams
    Brandon Tate
    Mike Wallace
    Ramses Barden
    Patrick Turner
    Deon Butler
    Juaquin Iglesias
    Damian Williams
    Brandon LaFell
    Jordan Shipley
    Eric Decker
    Andre Roberts
    Armanti Edwards
    Taylor Price
    Austin Pettis
    Leonard Hankerson
    Vincent Brown
    Jerrel Jernigan

How many of those guys are better than Sanders? I don't think it's so easy. Besides, we already needed a WR through the draft anyway. Now we need two.

10. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    :this!: exactly, I hope we really do well in 0ur pics, this draft,... Colbert just needs to run this draft.. and not be influinced so much bye others,.. . I'M also thinking that alot of the younger guys we have drafted, doesnt seem to want to be here... JMO

11. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

This is a great post. I'm on the other side of the fence but I'll admit this made me go hmmm...

The thing that's getting me stuck is the 1 year deal. If it were a longterm deal I could get on board, but I'm taking the pick over the uncertainty of him walking next season.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It's not like fans are chasing him out of the burgh with pitchforks, NE created this situation and most of us are just trying to see what our best option is moving forward. If they match, great, we retain a proven product, if they don't, well they picked a good draft to lose him. I'm not losing sleep over it either way.

13. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I'm on the fence with this one... Another 3rd rounder would be nice, but an already proven receiver in our system is tough to let go. I'm sure if they match the offer it will be on a long term deal. I just can't see matching it for one year and potentially ending up with nothing after this season.

Maybe the team likes what Gilreath can do? He's a very similar WR to Sanders.

14. fansince40s

fansince40s Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    I am against the idea of Sanders leaving, here we have a franchise QB with no big time reciever to throw too, not saying Sanders is a big time receiver but Ben needs all the experience and help he can get and all that seems to be happening is all our experienced and good receivers are leaving or have left. The front office isn't doing this team much good right now whether its the cap or bad planning but in the real world the people in charge flunked.

15. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I've just got a feeling that Sanders is getting ready to come into his own as a number 2 / slot receiver. I don't think we've seen his best yet, and I'd hate to see the Pats be the beneficiary of his talent when he does finally breakout. Incidentally, I don't feel that way about Wallace, who I think has already seen his best statistical seasons.

16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I completely agree with this. It's not just losing Sanders, it comes down to having a revolving door of players surrounding Ben while he is ultimately in the prime of his career.

17. Steelmac5

Steelmac5 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I am ok with him leaving if we take Patterson in the 1st round to replace him and sign Bradshaw as a RB. That frees up our 2nd round to go LB or DL.

Mike

18. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I am sort of along Steelmac5's plan, but I see it like this.

1. Sign Bradshaw if he is healthy to help our running game.
    2. Sign Breaston at WR. He is only 3.5 years older than Sanders and has accomplished much more. He also knows Haley's system. He averages 42 catches a year and at 30 it isn't like he is over the hill, just a vet. Sanders averages 31 catches a year as of right now. Is he ready to break out? Maybe, but you just never know.

3. Use the draft picks to get an extra guy at each of these positions as well in the draft. I see our positions of need on O as WR and RB. Draft one of each.

4. Look to upgrade S, CB, OLB, and ILB positions in this draft.

19. antennaman1969

antennaman1969 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    How dare they? ;)

I know...as a fan, I want 7 to have as many weapons as possible.

In reality....this is business going forward in the NFL. People moving around between teams like crazy. We may never have what the Steelers of the 70's and 80's had- multiple guys who play their entire career here. The teams will have to stay under the cap, YET spend the majority of their cap space.
    Until teams perfect a new way to (1) structure monster contracts, (1a) wind down existing monster contracts; (2) stay under the cap, and (3) keep/sign everyone!- we will see FO's all over the league struggle to keep all of their impact players, sign FA's, and lock down promising role players.

I still agree that this is merely a disruptive move by the Pats to weaken the Steelers. They are retaining Edelman, so why steal Sanders?

Oh wait...if another contractor offered me a tender to pull levers for more money, should I turn down a raise and not sign it? Yes, I might be perfectly happy where I am now; but do I turn down the opportunity to parlay this into a raise either way?

20. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    ok heres what i think... we get a longer term del.. 3 or 4 years .. whatever.. go to sanders with it .. if he signs it then we sign the tender.. do the long term deal and its done... if he only wants a one year deal we show him the door to NE and take the 3rd round pick that we can have for the next 5 years... put the ball in sanders court. tell him hes got till sunday night to take it or hit the road.. but no way i give up a 3rd rounder for a one year deal .. cyaaaaaaaaaa manny

HINES

21. bettisfan

bettisfan Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I say let him walk. If he is willing to sign with another team then his heart is not in Pittsburgh. He is a good WR and that is not good enough to pony up the dough to keep him. The 3rd rd pick will pay dividends in the long run.

22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Our players should play for free, of course, otherwise they clearly aren't Steeler material.;)

23. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Seriously. Which one of us should tell him that all of our players would leave for enough money?

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I know that's tongue in cheek but you have to wonder his desire to play here over such a small amount. Especially when he knows our cap situation and that we still need to sign draft picks as well as the effect it can have on bringing in any FA's like Breaston and Bradshaw. Sorry but I see a lot of me me me in that decision and not much towards the team. If they can work out a long term deal then I'd be happy to have him back but no freaking way for just one season.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Dwyer signed his tender right away, didn't wait to see if he could get more.