1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

the steelers draft process

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Apr 5, 2013.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    That's a great article, Mac. I really enjoyed it when it came out last year, because you don't get to read a lot of recent draft related articles from people that actually have inside info on how the Steelers put together their big board. Definitely a good read.

As a side note, David DeCastro was #7 on his board.

3. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Interesting article.

Couple of things I saw....Taamu and Fangupo are BOTH on that list. I don't know how accurate he is to where the board actually stood, but it does symbolize why they grabbed Fangupo when they could.

4. turkeysniper

turkeysniper Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    also he had spence and rainey crossed the steelers list, but at close to the value they went at

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i liked the part about just their thought process, to come up with their board. some people have wondered about who does what. it's a concenses of all the parts. then the rooneys come in and adjust it. i chuckled a little about that. dan and art jr. and art lll all know their stuff about it. they were all scouts growing up.

i thought most would enjoy this.

:cool:

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good read. This should put to rest that Tomlin is calling the shots, clearly says it's Colbert. I suppose people will still dump on Tomlin for every pick that fails though.

"Mike Tomlin will work with Kevin Colbert in terms of stacking the board, but it is my understanding that Colbert runs the show."

Also, while the Rooneys do make adjustments, it seems that they do in regards to character issues and not talent issues.

"The Steelers do care about off-the-field character and the Rooneys will either drop players down the list or remove players entirely based on character issues."

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i take it as clearly they both stack the initial board, and of course colbert has the final say, he's the GM.

i'd have to say they go position by position on our team and break it down, by age,output,money,signability,cap room in the near future, and then break it down to player by player. then look at which positions we feel needs added to or can afford to be taken away from if need be. which position needs an infusion of talent added.

then they start disecting the college players, then the college players at certain positions over other positions, plus a ton of other stats and medical and every other thing one can imagine go into it.

it sounds like they make the initial board together, so yes tomlin has tons of input to what he wants. other input is injected by scouts, position coaches and the rooney's.

i'm sure colbert doesn't send the pick to the stage that he alone wants, or goes against the rest of the input, nor does MT. i'm sure colbert could if he wants to be an azz, but would probably be fired soon after by the rooney's.

i think colbert trusts our scouting department. he learned his job under one of our scouts. colbert and tomlin get educated by alot of people doing their jobs well first. they already know things like we need pass rush, we need turnovers, we need less injuries, we need to run the ball better , we need to catch the ball better, we need less sacks, we need better ST's play. i'm sure it's information overload at times. they need more hits this year though. cross your fingers.:cool: