1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Allen on the Steelers problems in 2012

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 30, 2013.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    After he signed with the Cowboys he talked about how the season went and he said the defense was close because of all the injuries. But the offense some of the players weren't drinking the kool aid and was worried about their free agency and the adjustment to Todd Haley's offense, I think there was some complaining from some receivers about not getting the ball enough. We know Mike Wallace didn't give 100% on the field he was too worried about getting paid.

2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Allen needs to shut his trap. I grew up despising two teams above all others. The Raiders were one and now Will Allen plays for the other. Shut up, Mr. Cowgirl, and go congratulate the most overpaid player in NFL history and say hello to the most senile owner now that Al Davis has kicked the bucket. The Steelers and Todd Haley's offense will be just fine!

3. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    :rolleyes: I could care less what allen says, i have nvr been a cowboys fan and nvr will be,........ B ut what he said if he did say that prob ain far frm the truth... ..

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Touchy touchy, screw Mr Haley, I want to know what went down last year behind closed doors that helped derailed our season. Makes sense what he said considering it was the offense that struggled, I bet 2 of the trouble makers are off the team, I hope Sanders wasn't part of that clique, maybe that's why he hasn't signed his tender yet.

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :applaud:

6. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah...I never quite understood the switching teams and deciding to run your mouth about the team you left. I will defend players, I guess not defend but don't bag on them for leaving for whatever reason, but I can't stand when they run their mouth about the team they left. I guess I miss the time when football players were just...football players!

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  8. Dick Shiner

Dick Shiner Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2012
    I absolutely agree with you.

I have no problem with what he said. To be honest, it didn't need to be said by anyone. It was painfully obvious to anyone familiar with this team what the problems were: 1.) Todd Haley and 2.) Mike Wallace. Perhaps if Haley was a better leader, Wallace would have given him more of an effort. If Haley was a better leader, perhaps ALL of the skills players would have bought into his system. Or, maybe his system is so obviously bad that the players just checked out. Whatever the case, Wallace wasn't professional last year and Haley flat sucks. It wasn't too hard to envision this team having problems offensively coming into the '12 campaign. Some of US called it the moment it was announced he was the new OC. The disappointing part is that Haley had a great group to work with (Ben, Heath, Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Mendenhall) and still sucked. The Haley apologists need to take a long walk off a short plank and take their homemade 'Fire Tomlin' signs with 'em because that schtick is getting old too.

Tomlin is accomplished. Haley is not. Haley is a problem . . . again (#arizona #kansascity).

9. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    its a funny thing. the offense was leading the league in third downs and starting to move the ball and score until ben got hurt. he is a backup saftey. not to concerned with any thing he does

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    when your franchise qb, your offensive leader doesn't buy into it why would the rest of the offense?

:cool:

11. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    DS, I'm a proud Haley apologist and I don't carry any 'Fire Tomlin' signs around. I've been critical of his coaching style at times but have not been a proponent of his firing. Now let me ask you a question. Did you really just blame Mike Wallace's pathetic excuse for a season on Todd Haley??? :facepalm: If you did, hop on up here on this short plank that you've condemned me and other "Haley apologists" to because that kind of ridiculous assertion doesn't need to go unpunished.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think it was the other way around, I think Ben made the effort early and his WR quit, we all know what Wallace said, I have a hunch Sanders had a problem with it too, Mendy definitely did. Shiner is right, Halley better figure out a way to get these guys to buy into what he is selling, it's his job as the leader. A place to start would probably be stop trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Maybe with the improved line he won't have to try and turn Ben into a dink and dunk QB.

13. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!!!!! We have a WINNER!!

You nailed it there, mac!

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't care much for haley either, but ben was leading the league in 3rd down conversions last year in that dink and dunk style. haley didn't build that pewtrid O-line the steelers have tried to sell as good, for far too long. haley walked into a bad o-line, a hurt starting RB, a disgruntled wr, and an almost embarresed other wr becasue he got paid and a qb that lost his best bud off the team. sanders played well, i thought. i'm not sure why you are talking about him TE. he got injured trying to make things happen.
    oh, and by the way, i do believe will allen should just shut up.
    :cool:

15. Dick Shiner

Dec 17, 2012
    Yep, that was a walk-off. Game over.

Oh, by the way, it's Haley's JOB to get Ben to buy into it. If Haley can't lead, he doesn't need to be in a leadership position.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah but the 3rd down conversion was Ben being Ben, not dink and dunk and I didn't mean to imply that Sanders didn't play well, I like Sanders, I was just wondering who else on the offense may have had a problem with Haley. It's a little curious to me that Sanders hasn't signed his tender, Dwyer jumped all over it, it's not like Sanders is going to land a contract like Wallace did if he signs with NE. Perhaps the reasoning is, he's not happy with Haley, lets face it, Haley isn't the most lovable guy.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    same can be said for mike tomlin.:cool:

18. Dick Shiner

Dec 17, 2012
    Haha. Nope. I said the TWO (I even numbered 'em to help with the comprehension) were the major contributors to our offenses' problems (as validated by an actual member of this team -- let that marinate -- kind of removes our armchair hypotheses, doesn't it?).

As a coordinator, you utilize your players and put them in a position to excel based on their skill sets. You don't try to force your system onto a collection of individuals who are trying to earn a living doing what they do best. You're going to lose them. And he did. It's SOOOOOOOOO obvious that it blows me away that there are some who still can't see it. Actually, I believe they CAN see it but probably choose not to. A lot of egg on face around here after the whole 'Fire BA'/BA Coach of the Year debacle.

I remember busing tables in high school and worked for the worst restaurant manager in the history of food. It was an upscale restaurant right on the water and this bozo had me . . . ME!!!!!!!!!!!! . . . cooking Sunday brunch. I can't make toast. I screw up cereal. He had me making omelets, crepes, banana fosters . . . You don't have Mike Wallace running the routes of a possession receiver and you don't have me cooking Sunday brunch. Discover your strengths, utilize them, lead them to success. Todd Haley is the antithesis of a "players' coach." Again, I don't even have to worry about winning any arguments on here, we'll just let the players themselves make these easy points. What else 'ya got, Will? Nobody liked Mendenhall? Weird. You don't say!

19. Dick Shiner

Dec 17, 2012
    Yup. That was Ben BAILING HALEY OUT. BA was bad for his first few years here. I'll admit to that. But . . . he got a feel for Ben and the offense and did the best with what he had. Haley just bombed with a fine collection of skills players. And, unfortunately, I don't think he has the humility/flexibility to adapt like BA did. Remember, he's the "my way or the highway/screw everyone/I'm not Mr. Nice guy/etc" guy. It's not in his nature to change his ways.

20. Dick Shiner

Dec 17, 2012
    It would be poor leadership for Tomlin to micromanage Todd Haley the way Art II did with Tomlin when he forced him to get rid of the future NFL COACH OF THE YEAR and replace him with a guy Kansas City couldn't get rid of fast enough.

21. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    ben is an *******

oops
    wrong message board

22. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah, you're right, DS. I'm sure I totally misunderstood your surmising above about how if Haley was a better leader, MW would have made more of an effort. Give Haley a few hours with Dale Carnegie or Zig Ziglar, and I'm positive, as you suggest above, that Wallace would have fought the DBs for the ball, run better routes, actually jumped for balls over his head and dove for balls on the ground. He would have flat been a different player had Haley been cut more in the General Patton mold and simply been a better leader. All of the payers would have made more of an effort, I'm sure of it. Why, I'll betcha that Mendenhall would have even shown up for the SD game had Haley been the kind of leader he should have been. It's all so clear to me now, Dick. Thanks for enlightening me.

We all are quite aware of your utter disdain for Todd Haley, Dick, you've made that quite clear. But I don't know, the Rooneys seemed to see some redeemable qualities in the guy in order to give him an opportunity to become the OC of THEIR TEAM! They have proven themselves over the long haul to be pretty good talent evaluators when it comes to coaches, don't you think? Or was that Tomlin's hiring? I'm not sure.

23. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Ben's a big boy, Dick. Had he been the kind of leader he should have been he would have been the first one to buy into Haley's system instead of copping the kind of passive aggressive behavior that would have made a middle school girl proud. One of the marks of a good leader is that at times they are willing to FOLLOW.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Steelers actually have a bad track record when they hire outside the organization for OC's and I think that trend is going to continue. Hope I'm wrong but Haley is going to have to be a little more flexible to fix this thing. The Chin was a hard ass but also a players coach, Haley should take note.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yes but it is mikes team, when chemistry is hurting the team, he has to step in and fix it or we end up with seasons like we had. he can't allow haley to destroy his team. or anyone else in the lockeroom.

i think it's going to be a very long year this year. we had a high power O with a low power approach, now we are going to have a low power O with a low power approach.

maybe we should ask for a ticket price reduction. 30% like they ask a certain player to do. YEA right!! LOL :cool: