1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

New rules

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 12to88, Mar 19, 2013.

1. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Runners can't lead with their helmet :applaud:

No more chop blocks. :applaud:

I like both. Lamar Woodley is the first player I remember arguing the helmet as "battering ram" issue when he wrote a guest column for Sports Illutsrated, and what he said made sense. Just You Tube the Vikinjgs game when Peterson lowered his helmet and plastered William Gay. This wasn't okay. And I'm glad the league is taking this away from the offense.

2. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with the chop blocks. But the lowering of the helmet isn't going to sit well with any running back in the league. Its something that you are taught to do if you are a RB and its an initial reaction. Even though they can put their head down and try to run through someone, I think its just the same as a stiff arm, and they aren't changing that rule. They are using their head to create seperation. And I think there will be more injuries to the RB if he has to keep his head up trying to run in open field.

3. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Enforcing the rule for a RB not being able to lead with their head is going to be a flustercuck. Flags are gong to be thrown left and right and they'll sort it out after the fact.

4. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Chop blocks/etc awesome news! But the other...complete BS. I forget which RB said it...but I remember reading how RBs are taught to lower their shoulder to protect themselves (and obviously to try to break the attempted tackle)...and he's like how can you lower your shoulder without lowering your head? While I DO see the reason behind it...I feel its a little bit different than the defenders leading with their head while trying to tackle someone. The RBs are not launching themselves at anyone in most cases like the defenders can/do. They need to leave this one alone.

5. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    And weren't DBs "taught" to lead with the crown of the helmet, too? We can argue all we want about whether or not the rules are good for the game; but it's a separate debate. If the NFL says "leading with the crown of the helmet" is dangerous and takes that away from defensive players, then by all means it must also be taken away from the runners. Period. Emmitt Smith and Marshall Faulk are already crying about this. But it's a fairness issue. If offensive players want to whine about this that much, then allow the defense to start hitting with their helmets too. (Guess what? The RBs and WRs will whine about that too.)

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    how many runners were there through the years that they talked about running to straight up? these guys will be in high demand now. LOL

casey is probably saying WTF, now you change the rules about chopblocks. LOL

and GP they can still lower their shoulder without lowering their head but they are going to look funny running now.:facepalm::lolol:

my how the game is going to change in coming years.

:cool:

7. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    In the words of my pap, "Just throw flags on all of them, and let them play in shorts and t-shirts because thats what the game is coming too"

8. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I wish they would change the pass interference rule to the way they do it in college. Love the chop block rule. Denver and Baltimore probably don't like it much.

9. Stiller3

Stiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    So are RB's going to be complaining like defensive players used to when the H2H thing was introduced?

I can't wait for that.

10. Dick Shiner

Dick Shiner Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2012
    This is horrible. Are there seriously NFL fans who appreciate all of these 'safety' changes? James Harrison hates 'em. Troy Polamalu suggests it's becoming a "pansy league." The players don't even want 'em! I can't imagine any Steelers fan would be on board with this kind of pussified nonsense.

Chop blocking is another story. That's not physical, that's just dirty. Trying to cut someone at the knees is bush league.

I agree with the above. I hate, with a passion, the 'spot foul' for defensive pass intereference in the NFL. The counterargument would be picturing the end of the Denver/Baltimore game and the defensive backs just purposely tackling the wr's as little fifteen-yard chunks were marked off while fifteen seconds elapsed. It would make it nearly impossible for an offense to go 75-80 yards in 30 seconds.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Chop Block: Aye
    RB not allowed to lower helmet: Nay

They're killing the game :mad:

12. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    The RB can lower his head. He has to in order to lead with the shoulder. He can even lower his head and hit at the LOS. He cannot lower his head and hit after the LOS and he cannot hit with the "crown" of his helmet. This is what they're trying to stop, hitting with the crown on purpose.

Cajun-

13. turkeysniper

turkeysniper Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    what is the actual new rule on chop blocks? chop blocks have always been illegal. do you mean cut blocks?

14. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    GROSS YUCKY who wants to see that
    lets put them in the Lululemon yoga pants that are being recalled :smiley1:

15. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Chop blocks are legal. On running plays, offensive linemen can chop block (go low while another lineman is engaging high) when the player engaging high was originally lined up next to him on the LOS. If they weren't lined up next to each other, they can still chop block if the play is moving in the direction of the block.

16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    It will only be a matter of time til a RB breaks his neck by playing too careful as to not draw a penalty.

17. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    It passed today, overwhelmingly.

18. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Are you serious?!

That's one of my favorite plays of the past several years. You know why? Because I'm a football fan, and that was a great football play. If Jonathan Dwyer did that to Ed Reed people here would be down on their knees saying we're not worthy.

It also could've been avoided by Gay if he had gotten low. It was stupid on his part to think he had a chance at bringing down Peterson standing straight up.

[video=youtube;KmrAyU3HcU0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmrAyU3HcU0[/video]

19. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    The Steelers were the only team to vote "nay" to eliminating the Tuck Rule.

20. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I wonder why,?? they have never benefited from it. in fact last year they kinda got screwed buy it

21. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    I think it's pretty simple... Our quarterback pump fakes, and tucks the ball back in about 50 times per game... The rule would've previously protected him in the event of him dropping the ball.

Previously it was an incomplete pass, now it's a fumble.

22. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    thats right , what the hell was i thinking earlier, my bad

23. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    It was a great play, but yeah he's right. Under the new rules thats clearly a penalty.

24. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    Yes it's a penalty, but I don't think it's "wrong" as the OP stated. I think it was a great play.

25. bignasty92

bignasty92 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is just crazy! They say lower your shoulder not your head?? How the hell can you do that, try it. It wont be long before a RB lowers his shoulder, tries to keep his head up and takes an impact at just the wrong spot and snaps his neck. The NFL is putting them in a very awkward position! Its football, its a f'ing contact sport. Stop pussyfying the league and let em play!