1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We will not finish above 500

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Sixpack, Mar 16, 2013.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Not me. I hope he flops like Flipper! The heck with the comp pick.

2. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    i say Wallace has more yards in Miami 2013 than he had this last year in Pittsburgh
    Tannenhill isn't Ryan Leaf

3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I can't finish my wish (don't want to jinx it). It involves the first play of his playoff game. We'll leave it at that.

And I hope they're playing us. :emperor:

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Your emotions just run you don't they :lolol:

5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Lets see....we could have a really good line next year, Will Johnson looks to be an above average FB. We (when healthy) have a really good TE in HEath and 1 good young receiver. And, we have 2 power running RB's.

This is like 1994 all over again!!!!!!!

6. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I can't believe how many folks are writing the Steelers off for the 2013-14 season. I say let the chips fall where they may & lets hope the Steelers hit a homerun with the draft. Its still way to early to assume 8-8 or worse.

7. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The Steelers could have a couple of down seasons as they re-build. My biggest concern is that by restructuring contracts the team is making the process more prolonged in the end.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think he'll get us a 3rd round comp pick even if he has an OK season. From what I've read of multiple sources, the single biggest driver toward determining the level of pick is the average salary of his new contract. Last year the Raiders received a 3rd for Nmamdi, who signed a very similar contract to Wallace, and he flopped big time in Philly that season. Also, there's this blogger out there - I can't remember his name - who has been very good at predicting comp picks, and projects that KC will get a 3rd for Brandon Carr, who signed around a 5/50 contract with Dallas. He was solid, but not spectacular last year. I feel pretty good about getting a 3rd for Wallace. To me the big question is whether we get a 4th or a 5th for Lewis. In the comparisons that I read through a few days ago, he could fit as either one of the last 4th round comp picks or one of the first 5th rounders. So, go to the Pro Bowl and secure us a 4th Keenan.

9. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    LOL! Actually I'm a pretty rational person most of the time, but not when it comes to the Steelers. :eek:

10. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    As soon as we draft Eddie Lacy we will have a blue chip back and then Todd Haley's offensive mind will click in and we will be the surprise of the NFL. Every year a team comes from non playoff status and makes that big run for the Lombardi. Next year the Steelers WILL.

11. jenyeart

jenyeart Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Hey....there's always worries at various positions. Heck, how many times over the last oh say FOREVER have we heard about our need for a "shutdown corner". Even one opposite of Ike Taylor, Rod Woodson, or whomever. There's always worries about whether or not the "next man up" will produce or not and we will always have hits and misses. I will say that I'm a bit worried about folks filling the leadership roles on this team as well as Harrison's unofficial role as the "enforcer" on our team. It seems like we always have a nasty-demeanor type of LB carrying on the Steeler way and I don't see anybody who fits the bill for that right now...unless you count Ryan Clark (and I don't).

I AM excited at the potential of our Offensive Line this year. It seems like we have either been injured, terrible or both for most of the past decade. This group could really jell and be something special for several years! If that happens, we could have Grandma Moses at running back and still get yards. Ben will have more time and trust to throw to our receivers. We are already scheming with short passes to get guys open and move the chains anyway. Sure, I'd like to get a true #1 receiver (BTW I would argue that we didn't have one last year...just a good decoy) and a more dynamic RB. Perhaps we still will in the draft and/or a reasonable FA.

I think the draft will have to be about youth movements at the safety and linebacker positions because those are our older and "thinner" positions. We have several young DBs and linemen who just need more playing time to develop. Several have shown flashes of excellence, but need "starter time" in practice and games for that to become more consistent. We're most likely not going to get one of those plug-and-play guys other than potentially with our 1st pick...and that's only if we get a RB or receiver with that pick. We need to develop for the future and hope some of our guys step it up or they will be gone after next year.

I'm even OK with it if we lose Sanders. He has had injury problems and is decent, but not great. Don't get me wrong...I still like him and his ability, but if we save his salary (1.3 million I think it was) AND get a 3rd round pick for our troubles it may end up better for us in the end.

I'm not calling this a "Superbowl Season" or anything because we do have question marks, but it's definitely not some kind of "doom and gloom" scenario like people are talking about. If you want to see that junk, look at the recent history for the Browns or half the other teams in the league with major holes and question marks on their rosters on an annual basis. Yeah, I'm disappointed that we have lost some players (Lewis for his potential and especially Harrison), but I was also crushed when we lost some of my favorites like Rod Woodson, Greg Lloyd, Kevin Greene, Peezy, etc. (the list goes on and on).

As long as we can do some solid work in the draft, we shall overcome.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That's especially hard to do on game day! I'm sure even I have had my moments in the game day thread :innocent:

13. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    For the 1st time in several seasons, we have an OL that is young, has some talent, and is actually coming together. People are forgetting that Ben was on a run to be MVP last year. We all know it takes 3 yrs to learn the defense. WHO better to bring in than some past players that know the system. The FO made some mistakes in past salaries and now they are having to deal with it. If we get Ansah or any other top defense pick, they still have to learn the system. They wont be an instant success and the save all player. Just like I said last year about DD, he may be great in the future, but he still has to learn the system.

Do I agree with Gay? Not really, I think we should have kept Lewis but I think Lewis wanted to go to NO. JH was cut, was it a mistake, I think so. But I also thought so about Porter. Plaxico? Hes hungry, he has something to prove, and the guy will help us. I'd take him over Wallace any day of the week and 3 times on Sunday, 2 times on Monday, and 1.5 times on Thursday nights.

As far as Wallace, I hope Ryan Clark welcomes him back to the 'burgh.

We will be ok, even during a rebuild. The only thing that scares me is we have no one behind Ben. Dont know what happened but that QB last year Johnson I thought looked pretty good. The guy they just signed, I dont know alot about him.

Actually, I m excited about this year. Got some players who are happy to be back, some players that has something to prove, and some young guys who want to make a name for themselves.