1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

ok...I will say it

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by defva, Feb 27, 2013.

1. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't think k.lewis is worthy of a big contract. I like him and every now and then he flash potential but not for the amount of money we are about to shell out his way. I'm hoping that I'm wrong....but when you watch football...you have to trust and believe what you see on the field .

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If he's asking for 5/35 as reported, we can probably get 5/30 done. That's a pretty reasonable contract for a quality starting corner. By corner standards, that's not big money at all.

3. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    This

4. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I feel the same. I just don't get the over the top love fest for this guy. Ike covered the best opposing receivers. It reminds me very much of Bryant McFadden a few years ago, everyone on the forums were ready to crown him as the savior of our secondary and how it would be doom and gloom if we didn't resign him. We all know how that turned out.

5. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I don't think he would be the starting corner next year I think Allen will be. Allen showed he could be great when Taylor went down last year. If Allen started and crapped the bed then Lewis would be back. I think Allen will be a top 3 corner in the league within the next few years.

6. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I think it says a lot that lewis was the most targeted cb in the league this past season

7. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Well to be fair the Steelers had ike on one side and the best nickel corner in the league so teams have to go at somebody

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he's only shown this for one season out of four. no way i pay him that much money. we have made this mistake before signing these guys to much to early and then we're stuck with them. 2.5-4 mil. i can see if not we have allen, king,brown,vandyke,a few others and maybe a high draft pick if he goes. i'd like to have him, but with the addition of king and the play of allen, i don't think they will pay much.:cool:

9. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm not a big fan personally of Keenan Lewis and I think he benefitted some this season by Ike being hurt in the fact that they were throwing a lot toward Josh Victorian. But I trust the judgment of many of my friends on here and if they think he's worth it I can still feel comfortable with signing him. Honestly I've felt like we've not had a GREAT corner since Woodson. I'm a cornerback guy too because I grew up loving Deion so much. (except when he was a cowgirl of course)

10. Bristerfan

Bristerfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    C'mon man Allen had 2 really good games....Lewis played really well for most of the season especially in the 2nd 1/2.
    Any ways it's football in 2013 you can't get away with 1 good corner anymore.....Give Lewis a decent $ and it makes not only our base D better BUT if Allen is that good it makes our nickel that much better also...With the league being pass first we need as many quality DB's as possible....Also, keeping Lewis will make things easier after '13 when we start looking at life without Ike....Anyone think Ike could play S after '13?.......Just a thought

11. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Allen played great all year he was the tenth corner in the league for qb rating when he was targeted. Lewis has had one good year and Allen has rapidly improved each year. The great thing is he will only get better because he didn't play football until his senior year of high school.

12. Bristerfan

Jan 2, 2012
    That's one of those #'s are a little deceiving deals..............when he was in the game he was covering the 3rd or 4th receiver and i'm sure had a TON less balls thrown his way compared to Lewis.........Would you rather have Allen as the nickle corner or Victorian?

13. jenyeart

jenyeart Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2012

I would rather have a good pass rush with solid run support. We ALWAYS seem to have a defense in the top 5 or so...mostly without good corners.

BlountForceTrauma said: "Honestly I've felt like we've not had a GREAT corner since Woodson." --I would tend to agree with that. We are always clamoring for that "shut down" corner but never get one.
    People are debating our #3 CB? We spent the last how many years complaining about our #2 CB? Our pass rush and Polamalu have masked several average to questionable defensive backfields since the days of Woodson and Lake. Heck, even in those days the debate was "if only we had a stud CB opposite of Woodson, we'd be invincible"!
    I'm not saying that we should ignore our CB situation, but it's not any worse than it has been in the last 10-15 years. I would argue it's better overall when healthy because our pass rush has dropped off and our defense still ranks at or near the top.

14. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I want a shutdown corner really bad. When I watch the Seahawks play D I just can't help but feel a little envious because of how physical their dbs play. I know we are primarily known as a defensive tradition team but I'd say if you were more specific wouldn't you have to say a linebacker tradition team? You see a lot of Steelers linebackers in the Pro Bowl and being All Pro and all that but you don't see Steelers corners mentioned among those groups often enough for me. With the league moving towards this bombs away mentality I think a good corner could really be profitable. One thing I DO like about Cortez is that he does seem to have ball skills whereas Ike....well... I just hope Keenan is the next Deion Sanders because I'd sure hate to break the bank on him to see him really be another Larry Brown. Although if he would play his one good game in the Super Bowl I would be totally cool with that. LOL.

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    why victorian? why not brown or vandyke or king?

and yes i think ike could play safety. i think he'd do well facing the play. he tackles good. his speed , even at his age would be faster then any safety out there.

we have other options at corner if lewis decides to go.

i also expect victorian to play better this year too. give the guy some time. it's not easy to be thrown out there in our defense and expected to be all-pro in a couple of weeks.

we have some starting expierience back there and a fine coach, so i don't think lewis is a must have. sure i'd like it if he stayed, but if not, oh well. hopefully we get some good comp picks next year.:cool:

16. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Didn't we once judge corners by how many interceptions they had? Lewis had ZERO last year. I realize he did have some pass breakups and played pretty well in run support and is a solid corner overall, but I hope he doesn't hop on the diva bandwagon with his buddy Mike Wallace and want the Steelers to break the bank to keep him. It hasn't helped that Richard Sherman of the Seahawks recently pointed to Keenan Lewis as one of the best CBs in the league.

17. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think we have had a CB who can catch since the Rod Woodson days. But Lewis had a ton of break ups, and thats the next best thing. I think he will sign at a decent price, and the steelers won't over pay him because we can't afford to. I think next year Ike is more than likely gone, and they will want Lewis as the #1 and Cortez at #2.

18. Bristerfan

Jan 2, 2012
    I was just making a point...I actually like Victorian...I think once settled he played well and has good ball skills.....Maybe next year we will deff need a S. MAybe Ike could move there and open things up for Lewis and Allen.....that why i wanted to see Lewis stay...

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Lewis is only 26 and in his prime so pay the man he led the league in passes defended. You need 3 good cornerbacks Ike only has a 1 or 2 good years left and with Allen the Steelers would be in good shape.

20. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011

I tend to agree.

Lewis is good, and stepped up significantly last year. But in the preseason, there were a lot of calls for his head, as I recall. We're not talking about him showing the kind of consistent year-in year-out play that would warrant a huge salary.

We need all of our corners to step up (or step further up) next season, and then do something about getting pressure on the QB (and/or working on our LB's coverage) to get back to the "bend-but-don't break" defense of a few years back.

I'm not holding out hope for shutdown corners, 18 sacks a game and a return to blitzburgh for next season.