1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If defense sucked, would you still be wanting fields?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Sep 24, 2024.

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I just spit the last of my coffee on that. LoL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This

3. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Fizzled like a dead sparkler… you dont have copyrights on this saying do you? If not it’s going into my data bank

• Like Like x 2
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What some fail to realize is some Qb/players just aren't ready yet, and yet they are picked 1st, or picked in the 1st round, and they never should have been, and people will be mad at a owner/GM/ HC for supposedly failing them....when in all reality.....they should not have even been picked in the 1st round....because they can't help the team yet, but once they are picked that high.....the clock starts on the GMs, and HCs, and people don't realize that if the HCs, and GMs don't win games it's their a$$. It's like Carolina, and B. Young.....will he ever be good??....who knows, but yes in 4 years He will be better than He is now...if He can stay in the NFL....,,but by how much is anyone's guess... The problem is....the HCs, and GMs don't have 4 years if they suck during that time.....especially with people saying they didn't surround him with what He needed, and so they show....with average Qb(Andy Dalton)play they can be competitive. The problem is a Guy like B. Young shouldn't have been drafted in the 1st round to save any team....he's not that guy yet, but by picking him there ....he basically has to be.. It's not the teams failing the players.....it's taking a player in the 1st that isn't really worthy of the 1st round at that time.
    Sam Darnold for instance (I still have Him on pumpkin watch)..., but let me play devil advocate...., and say....He's all good now, and some will say it's just because of the team he's on now, but if You , or anyone had really watched how He played earlier in his career, and how He looked at the field.....had that Sam Darnold played for the Vikings today....they would suck. Players get better...if they can stay in the league. It's proven. Hell everyone that's not handicap in some way.....knows that the more You do something, see something, and are around something....the better you get at it....the problem is how much better, and if You are 1st pick....in most cases it will have to be quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    damn!! I'm living in the past yet again!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    not mentioned much, but:

that first TD on Sunday, was so great. Great play call, great design and execution. Justin goes in from the 4 untouched. We have not been able to score from the 4, for 3 years!

What a GREAT play and his athleticism gives us that.

I am a Russ fan and think he could do well in this offense, but what AS drew up THERE w FIELDS was fantastic!!!!!

• Like Like x 3
  7. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    if our def :steelflag: sucked we would be:emperor: and :noose: and be the F--N--- PIRATES So who cares who starts. If our def sucks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Screenshot_20241007_051120_Chrome.jpg

I see a lot of y'all saying, "offense sucked, fields sucks". Yet he produced similar numbers like he did his first two weeks.

So do i need to do a new poll? Because all of y'all acted like you wouldn't blow up like this if we lost games and fields continued to do similar stats.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    All of y’all?”

10. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
  11. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    You just don't like a, "i told you so".

I like fields but he's not a top 10 QB people were making him out for weeks. He makes some throws, but he misses some and he also misses some wide open players.

The announcers pointed it out several times last night of him missing targets and not even throwing to wide open players. They said a few times how harris was wide open and would have took it to the house.

Tomlin should have used time outs better, but arthur Smith had a lot of plays last night that were missed on and it's due to fields.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Dude, no one, not even me is touting Fields as a top 10 QB.

What he has down though is shown improvement. Another improvement was leading the team to a go ahead TD in the 4th. Something he hasnt been able to do in the past.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    All it took was for him to be out scored and people are calling for him to be yanked. Fields is just a solid backup. Play wilson and let's see these plays that arthur drawn up actually work.

14. SteelLion69

SteelLion69 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2023
    The truth is neither Fields nor Wilson are the long-term QB of the Steelers. They are band-aids to keep this team mediocre and give the fans enough of a dopamine hit.

The Steelers are going to have to start drafting QBs starting next year. This team won't contend until it finds a franchise QB and likely an offensive-minded head coach who is innovative. That could take several years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Don’t agree. People say sticking with Fields to see what they have in him is throwing in the towel but I think the opposite is true. Turning to a 36 year old Wilson who would be nothing more than a game manager is throwing in the towel.

The only hope for competing with the big teams come playoff time is to hope Fields elevates his game. So far he has played better than when he was in Chicago. The offense looked better last week when they had to let Fields sling it.

As long as Tomlin insists on playing conservative football it won’t matter much who is playing QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    That's honestly truth. They are bandaid. Even if wilson can get us on the board with more points.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I semi agree with you. But we're not playing conservative. If we we're playing conservative the announcers would not be saying how x player was wide open and able to take it to the house.

18. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    If the defense sucked i wouldn't want fields, and i wouldn't want Wilson either. Id actually put Allen’s little brother in there cause i actually think he’s best suited to push the ball down the field and is young (durable). And then plan to draft a Qb and some defensive players in the upcoming draft.

and one last thing; fire Austin, and if Tomlin doesn't like it he can go too.

19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Who is touting Fields as a top 10 QB?