1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TRADE TOMLIN

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelpens65, Aug 24, 2024.

1. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Maybe you should make yourself somewhere else. I know what the hell is "Great" and it's not this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Give me an example of even one of these people

Go ahead just one

Go ahead

I’m waiting

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I didn’t say he was great.

4. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

Not by me. I loved Cower for years, but was ALWAYS also very critical of his boring but effective ball control ground game, and safe playing by getting “the points” with field goals close to the endzone and late in games. Games we lost! Games we lost to the Cheatriots!!! Drove me and my wife nuts.

Then he phoned in his final year after winning the SB. I was ready for a new thing.

But all we got was a very similar thing with great results for a while. Then we know how it’s unfolded after 2008 - 2010.

I’m ready for change again.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. GtownNCSteeler

GtownNCSteeler Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2018
    The game has changed. I dont even think that Coach Cowher would be a successful coach nowadays. KC and these other teams that dominate the game now does it through the air and having a versatile QB that can scramble and make things happen outside the box which means you have to have a stellar defensive back field or you will not succeed. The game is played fast and you have to have speed, offensively and defensively to thrive. Now that the ravens have Henry and the speed on the outside, they will be hard to handle this year and that sux because I absolutely hate baltimore.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I thought about starting a separate thread about the Ravens but I’d be interested in what folks think about Harbaugh compared to Tomlin. They have an MVP QB and no success. They are fighting a monster in KC like we did in NE. The same goes for Buffalo and the bengals to a certain extent.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    A lot of similarities, that's for sure

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Thanks for bringing up that point which was a thing I personally was VERY vocal about way back when Kordell Stewart was the QB1.

I hated then how Cower wouldn’t adjust to Kordell’s skill set, the one they drafted him for mind you, and then tried to turn him into a strict pocket passer of the era.

I never bought into the fact that a QB or offense couldn’t expand and adapt to the option style game narritive that was the ONLY opinion until Michael Vick hit the league.

BS! Randel Cunningham was a very effective and dynamic runner AND passer of the same era and a great example that having a versatile QB skill set with legs and arms could be extremely potent.

But Mr. Spitty Chin was too old school to adapt and I think ruined Kordell’s Career.

Change my mind, nobody has been effective at it in all these years. Slash had it…

• Like Like x 1
  9. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Honestly I like Harbaugh a bit more. Even though we have owned them in the last handful of years, I think some circumstances have played a roll in that more than coaching battles. End of season games where tgg go eir record is better and resting players. Their running first QB being injured from that style of play. Being two big ones.

While they haven’t won a lot more in the playoffs, they still have won games when Tomlin hasn’t in the last many years and they certainly have more ability to do so.

Harbaugh wasn’t owned by the Patriots like Tomlin too.

10. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    It seems like Tomlin has bested him a lot. In fact, I can send you pictures from section 126 in Heinz Field were I watched the AFC championship game in which the Steelers beat the Ravens on the way to the Super Bowl. The fact is, if you luck into to a special QB, you win. When you lose him you don’t. Jackson has not proven to be “that” guy. MaHomes is a special talent that will take his place in NFL history. The teams in the AFC are going to have to go through Missouri for the next 15 years to get to the Super Bowl. There will be teams sprinkled in there that will get a bowl or two but, that road will go through KC, regardless of who the coach is. Bradshaw, Montana, Brady, Aikman, MaHomes are the benchmark. Teams in their eras had to navigate around them to get there.

• Like Like x 1
  11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Years ago a high draft pick (forgot name) was asked what he thought about the NFL after his first few games. He said something to the effect that if he knew the huge difference in how fast the game is played in the NFL, he'd have stayed in College.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    We need some young genius who studies every aspect of football. Then I'll be ready for a change. Until then --- guess ----- it's Mr. average:blink:

13. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Big difference

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    What QB will replace Mahomes for this 15 year reign? Mahomes would be 43 15 years from now. I can't see Mahomes style of play lasting as long as Brady's did. He is so gifted he'll probably become a fantastic pocket passer who gives up the running and does a George Blanda.

15. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Even though the steelers have the ravens number right now, that doesn't mean much since the ravens have gone further than the steelers 5 times in the last 6 years, since 2018 with 2021 as an exception when a lot of the ravens roster was on injury reserve that year,not just Lamar.The ravens won 3 division title since that time with 2 number 1 seed

For the steelers, don't blame the pats for their lack of success in the playoffs,since in the 2010s, they only played against the pats in the playoffs once.... It's not as a situation like the bills who lost to Mahomes 3 times in the last 4 years, with 2 very close games in that

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Just once....just once....go back, and read all the stuff You excuse the Ravens, Harbaugh, and Lamar Jackson for, and use that same exact stuff for the Steelers.
    Here are the facts.... against anyone in the playoffs, the Steelers (their long time rivals in the division....no matter how you want to twist it), and KC......they are 4- 12 with the so called MVP starting as their Qb, and You don't even want to see the Td to turnovers.
    Yet in your eyes this means nothing. LoL

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Yes they struggle against the chiefs and steelers but still more successful than the steelers since that time despite that...You can choose every stats you want and if you are happy with that,good for you but it don't matter much if the ravens have gone further than us every year since 2018 outside of 2021

With this mentality, it's like the Browns fans who prefer to beat the Steelers and the rest don't matter....make no sense...I hope the Steelers haven't reached this low point

Last edited: Sep 7, 2024
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This makes no sense. Why.....because the Browns don't own the Steelers the Steelers own the Browns 14-5-1. So.....you can twist it anyway you want....being owned 7-1 by your division rivals is not a good thing. At the very least it shows they are in your heads. There is a reason that the Ravens are great against everyone until they play the Chiefs, the Steelers, and anyone in the Playoffs.....again against the Chiefs, Steelers, and anyone in the playoffs with Lamar Jackson as the Qb ...they are 4-12.......4-12.....so someone one on that team is choking every time they play a game they consider big.

20. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Every team seems to have their matchup issues against a certain other team. The Chiefs seem to struggle vs a healthy Bengals team(whenever that happens), Ben had a crazy win ratio vs the Ohio teams. The Pats always had our number under Belichick. The Packers went 24-5 vs the Bears with Rodgers. Every team.

21. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    For the Browns case, it was just an example,I know our record vs Browns

For the rest, everyone has their own tastes, I prefer to play longer in the playoffs and have at least a chance....

• Like Like x 1
  22. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    We ALL want to go further into the playoffs and be competitive. The failings to do this have been a real issue. The reasons for those failings is what we fans argue over year in and year out. I think...during the 'Killer B's' era, we actually had them all healthy for 1 playoff game. Talking about Ben, Brown, Bell, and Bryant. 1 game. Also, one point we all seem to argue over is the loss to the Jags in which our offense put up 42pts but we gave up 45pts. I still say losing the turnover battle in that game was more to blame for the loss than anything else. But the debate will continue. 2019, Mason and Duck were not going to lead us to glory. Then in that Browns' debacle, the wheels just came off so early we were never able to use our game plan and had to play to climb out of a hole.

Some will call these excuses. Fine. But every game has a story and all these playoff losses have their own story too.

• Like Like x 1
  23. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022

All by the same author obviously

24. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    The raiders had our number in the Roethlisberger era.I would even say that they did more damage to the steelers in the Roethlisberger era than the steelers did to the ravens in recent years, since the raiders cost the steelers a playoff spot at least in the 2009 and 2018 season....But I don't think the raiders fans are happy with that, even if some raiders fans hate the steelers like crazy because they have been garbage for over 20 years now and the steelers have always been better than the raiders since that time, outside of maybe 2021

25. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    I could said the same thing for the Jaguars and this is even worst that the raiders!