1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Howard Draft Watch

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Born2Steel, Aug 17, 2024.

1. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Or another trade. Not that there's anything really attractive in that direction

2. Chucktownsteeler

Chucktownsteeler Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2022
    You have to be extremely luck to draft a franchise QB. Even a high draft pick guarantees nothing. I like Ewers but not sold on his arm strength. Howard is as big as Ben and Josh Allen but doesn't have their overall ability. He does have high QB I.Q. but just transferred to Ohio State for his 5th year. Allar of Penn State looked bad last year when i watched him but he was raw. This will be a big year for him.

However if the Steelers goals are only never to have a losing season I doubt we will ever draft high enough for a true franchise QB. I have no faith in Wilson or Fields (the fumbler).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Probably should take a good look at Beck and Sanders as well. Weigman could be an outside shot too.

Is it just a PSU thing for everyone looking at Allar? Admittedly, I only watch 2-3 Penn State games a year, but he looks like garbage in every one I've seen. Is he a prospect being talked about in the first 3 rounds?

4. Chucktownsteeler

Chucktownsteeler Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2022
    I agree, Allar looks like hot garbage.

5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Howard's a big boy, no doubt... I like what I've seen from him so far, but this season would have to go horribly wrong for us to be looking at a qb early in the next draft

6. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    I'm not so sure. I really do think the plan was to bring in Russ and let Kenny 'bake' behind him until it was time to bring him back in. But then things happened. Fields is a great athlete but I don't think he is an NFL QB. That's my opinion. I see him as a Taysom Hill type.

We bring in a rookie next draft, and doesn't necessarily have to be round 1. Not a ton of teams looking for QBs right now. Re-sign Russ to 2yrs if he works for us. Let the rookie take his own time without the pressure.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree..
    At the very least they are usually more prepared,,but there are always outliers.... didn't Help D.Bush. LoL

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Winner..

9. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Howard looked really nice today. Big guy that can take off, but will keep his eyes downfield. Showed a strong arm and good accuracy.

The ND/Texas A&M game has a couple of QB's that look like nice prospects to watch.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    A lot of what we do next year just depends on this season... so it is hard to speculate.

If one of our QB's looks like a player this season we could continue to roll with that guy and its a moot point. If neither of them look good, then we could look to the draft in the first round. We could also look to Dak Prescott as well (which I think is a great option).

I think it is fine to have that same plan mentioned in the first sentence with Fields as well. He's a whole year younger, is every bit the passer Kenny was (and wasn't) and has the athleticism to boot. He's gotten better every year and we will have a full season to make a decision on whether or not we want to keep him around.

Too many variables to even start speculating imo.

11. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    Absolutely!!!! I am not even sold on Will Howard. I just thought I would watch the guy QB this season and see. He has great size, he seems to improve every season. I don't care so much how 'GREAT' his arm is vs how well he can see the field. I will be keeping stats and opinions on several college QBs on this thread.

12. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    We will see with Howard. I know he isn't considered a first round prospect yet, but that could change if he continues to look good. What other guys are you specifically interested in?

13. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    Naked stats do not tell the story, but gives us a starting point for conversation. I did not watch any week1 college football so I have zero context to go with the numbers. Those of you that do have some context, please give your takes and opinions. Week 1 is typically a warmup game but there were a few fun matchups.

Will Howard: 17of28 for 228yards and 3 TDs. 4Rushes for 18yards.

Jalen Milroe: 7of9 for 200yards and 3TDs. 7Rushes for 79yards and 2TDs.

Shedeur Sanders: 26of34 for 445yards and 4TDs/1INT. 6Rushes for 17yards.

Quin Ewers: 20of27 for 260yards and 3TDs/1INT. 1Rush for -6yards.

Carson Beck: 23of33 for 278yards and 2TDs. 3Rushes for 19yards.

Seth Henigan: 22of30 for 308yards and 2TDs. 4Rushes for 0yards.

Add in any others you want to keep up with. I will try to keep up and post updates on Sunday mornings.

14. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I'll tell you what, Cam Ward got my serious attention on Saturday.

His, size, movement, and rocket arm are all great. But, it's his poise and improvisation that really impressed me. He doesn't have happy feet and pat the ball. He uses a bunch of different arm angles to shape throws in. I'm watching you young man.

Weigman is another guy I got my eye on. I'm throwing that performance out against the Irish. He played terrible. I know he wasn't feeling well. If you watched the game, you know. And he was playing a very good ND team, and it was first game.

Allar, had my Lions looking GOOD! He is very intriguing for next April.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Riley Leonard?

16. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023

Riley Leonard: 18of30 for 158yards, 12Rushes for 63yards

• Like Like x 1
  17. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    Will Howard vs WMU: 18of26 for 292yards and 1TD, 1Rush for 6yards

Jalen Milroe vs USF: 17of27 for 199yards and 2TDs, 12Rushes for 2yards and 2TDs

Shadeur Sanders vs Nebrask: 23of38 for 244yards and 1TD/1Int, 8Rushes for -30yards

Quin Ewers vs Michigan: 24of36 for 246yards and 3TDs, 4Rushes for 0yards

Carson Beck vs TNTech: 18of25 for 242yards and 5TDs, 3Rushes for 18yards

Seth Henigan vs Troy: 20of32 for 161yards and 1TD, 2Rushes for 24 yards

Riley Leonard vs Northern Ill: 20of32 for 163yards and 2Ints

• Like Like x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I am still holding out hope for Drew Allar personally. Granted, his game against Bowling Green wasn't good but it also highlights what I said about him heading into this season; Drew Allar is playing with little to nothing as far as Receiving Options go. Put him on a team with those options a la Carson Beck and the results would be much different.

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He needs to return to PSU, he is not remotely ready for the NFL.

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

So the 2024 is over for Drew Allar then?!

Didn't know we were in November.

21. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Other than a few mop up snaps in blowouts, we haven't seen Arch play. In fairness, he is behind Quinn Ewers, who has paid his dues and earned the starting spot and is currently looking very good. I'm gonna need to see Arch Manning take some 1st team reps in meaningful games before I get on the bandwagon. If you want to promote a QB from his class who is actually playing and balling out at the same age (just turned 20 a week ago) take a look at Nico Iamaleava. Yeah, I'm a UT Vols homer fan, but Nico is the real deal IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Nico was 22 of 28 for 314 yds and 3 TDs in week 1. And... he only played the first half. Nico won't be draft eligible until after next season but if he continues to grow and play to his capabilities, he will be one to watch for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    I have not seen the Vols yet this season. In the old East/West SEC days, I always rooted for Ole Miss (West) and UT(East).

• Like Like x 1
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Jaxson Dart :thumbs_up:

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Are people still using that excuse for Allar? They got WR Julian Fleming from Ohio State, and Wallace had a good game against WVU.