1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

end of jan. try.....

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Jan 30, 2013.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    for what it's worth and that's not much, here goes............

1a. matt elam SS fla. 5-10 202 4.53.................... 1b. kenny vaccaro FS tex. 6-1 218 4.49

2. brandon jenkins OLB fla.st. 6-3 260 4.69................. i'm with huge snack on this guy. he was hurt last year and could be a steal. he's got the size,speed and resume'.

3. jon bostic ILB fla. 6-1 246 4.73.......... solid player against the run and pass.

4a. kejon barner RB ore. 5-9 188 4.39 has shown ability to run inside too and handle the pounding. quick through the hole, homerun threat. ...................4b. stephan taylor RB stan. 5-9 216 4.57 feature back possibility. built well for his hgt.

5. hugh thornton OG/OT ill. 6-3 313 5.18....... position flexible. has played LT,RT and LG. he's got long arms and a similar player to kelvin beachum with LG expierience.

6. cory fuller WR v.t. 6-2 197 4.43......... track speed,taller, was held back some from V.T.'s passing attack. could be a steal this far into the draft.

7. joe madsen C/G wvu 6-4 301 5.25........ has been very solid in morgantown and held his own well at the Sr. bowl at both positions. a better version of legursky.

7.(comp) quanterus smith OLB w.kent. 6-5 248 4.74........... under the radar guy that beat alabama's fluker to the tune of 5 sacks. he get's after the qb well. a hidden gem we seem to find.

ok guys and gals have at it.
    :cool:

2. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    i would be happy with that. maybe swap a lb or olineman for a dlineman

3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Not too bad, except that I don't think that safety is a first round need, only because the position is truly 3 rounds deep. Personally think that (pre-combine, when everything can change) that Jenkins and Bostick are 1 round too early, and Smith is two rounds too late.
    Same positions, different order:
    1) ILB- Minter (preferred) Te'o or Ogletree
    2) Safety- Reid (preferred) Rambo, or Jefferson
    3) OLB- Jenkins (preferred), Lemonier, or Thomas
    4) RB- Lattimore (preferred) Barner, or Taylor
    The rest I'll give to you, although I don't know if we'll be taking two OLBs.

4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Looks pretty good, but I really believe the Steelers will draft a quarterback somewhere in this draft.

5. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I like it. Not a huge Barner fan but he does bring somethign valuable to the table - speed!

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like your positions you picked Mac, this is where the needs are.
    These players you mentioned, MUST BE ABLE TO SEE THE FIELD IMMEDIATLEY.
    What are their mental make up? Are their any head cases, drug problems with these guys?
    Do they want to work to improve their ability? Will they come into camp in shape?

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Based on what I know now, I'd be pretty good with that draft as long as the R1 guys is Vaccaro and not Elam. Bostic has been a pretty productive player at ILB, but I don't know much about his ability as a leader and defensive play caller, which we'd really like to see at the 2nd ILB spot with Timmons. If Taylor is there in R4, I think he's a no brainer over Barner. Taylor is a 2nd round caliber 3 down back. He won't blow anyone away, but he is steady, shifty, has good vision, decent power and can pass protect. We can probably get another Barner-like player a bit later in Kerwynn Williams. My guess is that Taylor goes before pick #80 anyway.

Jenkins is a guy who should be on everyone's radar. He was great in 2010 and 2011, and if he hadn't gotten hurt this past season he would probably have been in the mix with Jones and Moore for the best 3-4 OLB prospects. He's a steal at #48 if he clears medical screening.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think with more and more teams going to the 3-4 , stockpiling some of these OLB'ers is a good thing for down the road.:cool:

9. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Or it may be time to think about moving to a base 4-3 where there will be less competition for players that fit the scheme. It served us well in gathering talent for the 3-4 when the 4-3 was in vogue.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't know about that, we still run the 3-4 as good if not better then any team in the league. remember we always had the next star waiting in the wings to take over at OLB. same at ILB. we just seemed to have missed on those spots lately or let it go to long before we reloaded it.

carter and worilds were not of the class we usually had waiting to take over.

foote was not that stud in the middle to take over, he is part of the guys on their way out and sly was not it and we had nobody else ready. we need to hit on a couple young guys and not wait until they are to old to remain without that next guy ready. that has pushed us behind more then anything.

what we have to pay starters kind of hurts us in having good replacements ready. nobody behind our starters has stepped up and we keep them on. mundy is a good example. he was never going to take over, so now we are up against the wall at safety. we brought him back to often. we kept sly to long.

unless worilds take a major jump this year, we will be in the same boat with that position. i don't think taking two OLB's in this draft is to many this year while worilds is still here. one early and a under the radar guy like smith late, keeps the pipeline full for the time when we need to replace an older player or underpreforming player.:cool:

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Without a doubt that is why we are having more trouble finding those stud players, the more teams pick from the pile the less options you get, and with us picking so low in the draft every year, makes sense that we are left with slim pickings. I'd be all for going back to 4-3, for the reason you stated plus, I'm just partial to it because of those great 70's teams. Plus, depending on who you ask, we have players that are suited for the 4-3 now, better then they are suited for the 3-4. I think we will see the switch made once DL retires.

12. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree that we do have alot of the pieces on the current roster that would make a switch to the 4-3 base an easy transition. As soon as DL retires I believe we will change our scheme. MT is a Tampa-2 disciple and I think we'll see him put his stamp on our defense.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think our scouting department isn't as good as in those days either. they are not finding players like they used to. we have one complete draft since MT's been here without one starter out of it. you can't completely whiff and expect to maintain excellence. :cool:

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we have 12 starters out of the last 50 draft picks. that's also expecting adams and DD and sanders becoming starters next year. i'm not sure of the league average, but that seems low. many are role players more then star playmakers too. it would be nice to hit on a handful this year. :cool:

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    WE need PLAYMAKERS not SAFE PLAYERS. Here is hoping they find
    these type of ball players. I concur with you Mac,our scouting dept.
    is just not finding these hidden gems no more. Like the Lloyd, Silverback
    Donnie Shell type player. We need to find them.

16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree with the idea we need playmakers. I would love to see Tavon Austin in the second round if he's there. I know about the whole big receiver thing but with the uncertainty of E. Sanders future with the team and how we have seen our WR corp. go from strength to weakness in a hurry, he is someone we should consider. He is a PLAYMAKER and would fill alot of holes,PR,KR WR and just be an all around weapon for us. We could bring Plax back for a year and maybe take a flyer on a late round pick with size. I'm looking at about a 5yr window with Ben and I think we need to be aggressive and take some chances in fielding the most dynamic team possible.

Ideally I'd like to see us trade back in the first round still manage to select the best possible safety or pass rusher available. Hopefully the trade will net us another second or third round pick. I like the second and third round depth and talent in this draft. Please, no more first round DL not with the style we ask them to play.

17. turkeysniper

turkeysniper Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    there are 20 teams that play a 4-3 and 12 that play a 3-4. while we may fight for picks a bit more than we used to, switching to a 4-3 would gain us no value. 4-3 teams are starting to take the tweener picks high and find ways to use them. teams are playing less in base defenses where positions matter more, and playing more in rush and cover defenses. maybe DL needs to create an all new defense. who knows maybe find a way to make the 4-4 compatible with modern football

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree right up to the 4-4 part. I'm guessing that part was a bit tongue on cheek. However, you're right on the mark regarding the tweeners. A lot of guys go to 4-3 defense who would previously be thought of as 3-4 rush LBs. Look at how Denver uses Von Miller - as an OLB on running downs, and as a rushing DE on passing downs. Those kind of versatile athletes are being sought after by all 32 teams, regardless of scheme. They want guys who are going to get to the QB - some way, some how. With the rules being what they are, it seems like the only way to disrupt a good passing attack is with pressure.

19. turkeysniper

turkeysniper Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    the 4-4 part was hyperbole. DL was ahead of the curve with his implementation of the 3-4. we have guys playing solidly that obviously could play at a high level in a 4-3 or some sort of hybrid system. i would love to see some new wrinkles in our defense. maybe shifting woodley to end with ziggy as 3 instead of a 5, actually that not that much different than some of what we do. would love to see something truly innovative and fresh.

20. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    "4a. kejon barner RB ore. 5-9 188 4.39 has shown ability to run inside too and handle the pounding. quick through the hole, homerun threat."

Barner could be good - I am from Oregon so I watched him annihilate the competition. I certainly think he is better than Rainey. He is similar to Lamichael James (49ers).

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    if jenkins preforms well at the combine he could move up to rd.1 very easily and i'd have no problem if we took him.

if e.j. manuel is there in the 2nd or 3rd, he may be hard to pass on too. i know most don't want a qb that high but he could be a guy for the future that brings alot to the table to build off of. he will take a few years to develop, but we have openings at the spot.:cool: