1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The current WR Situation

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chinchilla, May 6, 2024.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

the clown show continues......you know, b/c CA was in such a STELLAR offense......

2. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    New season. New offense. A lot of new names on the roster. We'll see.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Talk of Austin having this breakout is very very optimistic, and it would be reckless for the team to base their plans for the season around this. He is small and will be easily hurt even if he shows to be better than what we have seen from him so far, which is that he is fast and can make a big play now and again.

They are going to be in different personnel sets than what we have been used to and we will see two tight ends a lot more, and perhaps even Harris and Warren both on the field together a lot more as well so you could argue that WR depth is slightly less important than it has been but even still, I’ll be concerned if they don’t bring in a proven WR before the season.

I don’t think they need a superstar, just somebody who knows what they are doing and can get open. Tyler Lockett would be ideal if he becomes a cap casualty in Seattle. He had a great connection with Russ and might welcome the opportunity to play with him again

• Like Like x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You sound like Pirates' fans trying to justify Bob Nutting forcing the team to constantly play the scrap heap.

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He had a four-game audition with Johnson out of the lineup. He caught six passes. Six. That's good enough for you?

6. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    It's possible that Austin won't be good for us, but our offense was so dysfunctional under Canada, it's hard to put a huge stock on that...

7. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    no - but Kenny sucked and so did Cana-duh.

CA had 2 solid years in '20 and '21 at Memphis

you don't think he is any good. I am not sure yet - YET, I said. He might be a dud. We will know after the 2024 campaign.

I want to see him in a PRO offense, with a PRO QB and OC.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I never wrote that Austin isn't any good. Please don't put words in my mouth, especially those far from the truth. I liked the draft pick. I defended Austin when he got hurt as a rookie, pointing out that it was inaccurate to point to a foot injury as evidence that he is too small to hold up in the NFL. My point is that it is foolish to count on him given how little he has done as a pro, especially given how he mostly disappeared during the four-game stretch when the Steelers were desperate at receiver. Not even the incompetence of Canada and Pickett's struggles justify so little production in four games as one of the team's top three receivers. He simply wasn't good.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It wasn't that he struggled a little. Other than one big play, he disappeared during that four-game stretch when Johnson was out. The dysfunctional offense doesn't entirely excuse that.

10. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    CA3 is 160LBs. That is what needs to change. He needs to bulk up to at least 180, IMO. 160 makes it too easy for DBs to re-route him.

I honestly don't think 20-30LBs will slow down an athlete that has run track his entire life. At least not enough to notice over the course of a game. I imagine with his technique already ingrained, getting stronger may actually make him faster.

11. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    This is very possible he will have by far the second most receiving yards for the steelers this year

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
  13. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
  14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Pickens might be making the miracle more possible....
    what a clown he is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    Maybe just my loyalty to our guys....I think Pickens will be just fine come gametime. He seems to be one of those players that will consistently have us wondering friend or foe with his antics. I don't think he is punch out a kicking net crazy(OBJ), or take off his uniform and run off the field in the middle of a game bonkers(AB), but we may see him stalking his QB on the sideline letting his QB know he is ALWAYS open(TO). As long as his on field production out paces his off field crazy I still believe we have a gem with Pickens.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  16. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

yes, some of it is yours / our loyalty to guys

he has shown a PROPENSITY to HIMSELF. he MUST BE on a short leash.

IF he keeps acting like a fool the next few weeks, do not be surprised if Khan deals him. Don't be shocked.

what a waste of talent he appears to be. Garbage b/t the ears.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    If Pickens was a Stallworth type: quiet, no-nonsense, actions-speak-louder-than-words kind of guy, i dont think we would be reading that article about shopping for a receiver but here we are. We are giving this guy everything a young receiver could want (new OC, veteran all pro QB, #1 receiver leadership role) and it it seems not to be enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Pickens is a very good player but he is still not close at the level that Owens or AB were in their prime....He is not close right now to be in the top 5 in the current NFL....Jefferson,Lamb,Hill,Chase,etc

Even if he has a big year,I would trade him in the next offseason since his value will be higher....I would not paid him over 30 millions per year with this type of attitude.....He would be a bigger monster in the locker room....

19. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    It seems the cost of a WR1 is $30M+ now. If Pickens has a big enough year to be considered a WR1 across the league, even if he is not considered top5, that is what some team will need to pay him for his next contract once that time comes. I don't understand wanting to get rid of a WR1 talent in the hope of drafting someone that may develop into what you currently have. The cost of having that level of talent in the NFL is already set. The money should not make the decision when talking top level talent.

Flip side is he never rises to that talent level and this conversation is moot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Because his attitude will be a major problem and the locker room will be toxic once again....This is the last thing I want....The steelers need to be careful.I don't want a repeat of the 2018 season when the locker room was a true dumpster fire at the end of the season

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Being fair.....that was not a good opportunity all around for Him to shine....between everything that was as it was. Also....I did see Him open on a few plays that the Qbs didn't. This doesn't mean He will be great,,but it means I'd like to see him get another shot at it.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I have no problem giving him another shot as the No. 3 receiver, but No. 2? It isn't reasonable to count on him in that role, but all they have in the mix with him are collection of rejects from the scrap heap and a rookie who was take n in the third round.

I'm not saying he should have put up huge numbers in those four weeks, but aside from one big play, he disappeared.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Tyler would be a fantastic but he just restructured his deal a couple months ago. I seriously doubt he doesn't play in Seattle this year. Next year is another story.

• Informative Informative x 2
  24. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    "Disappeared" is barely sufficient to describe his season. Minus the play you referenced, he had 128 yards for the year. And he dressed every game.
    As Joe Biden would say:
    [​IMG]

25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I still want Free agent Michael Thomas for under $5 million for our WR #2. I prefer Thomas over a cut JuJu before the season starts. Just sign Michael Thomas and get back to work.

I am hoping the Steelers don't sit on the crapper too long hoping to see a deal for Aiyuk. forcing them to do something really, really stupid with a 1st round pick before the season starts.

And Stop with the Metcalf talk, why would Seattle get rid of Metcalf. Tyler Lockett will be 32 years old when the season begins this year. Lockett's Cap cost for next year at age 33 is going to be $30.8 million.