1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cam Heyward does not plan to attend OTAs as he seeks a contract extension.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, May 15, 2024.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I was wanting to compare Von Miller to Cam, because of that crazy 6 year $120 million contract he signed 2 years ago that has him covered until he is 40 years old.

And then I saw that Von Millers cap hit for 2024 is only $15 million and thought... "WHAT THE HELL???"

https://overthecap.com/player/von-miller/2
    Miller accepted a pay cut in 2024 reducing his salary from $17.5 million to $8.885 million per ESPN's Field Yates.
    In 2024, Miller will earn a base salary of $1,500,000, a roster bonus of $7,000,000 and a workout bonus of $100,000, while carrying a cap hit of $15,154,000

Talk about Put up or Shut Up. A tip of the Hat to Von Miller for lowering his Salary and putting it back into Incentives he has to earn on the Field.
    • 2024 Sack Incentives (non-cumulative)
      2: $1M
      4: $2.5M
      6: $4M
      8: $6M
      10.5: $8.645M
      15: $9.645M

I would have no problem if Cam wanted to reduce his Base Salary and put it all back in incentives like Von Miller did for the 2024 season. :)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2024
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree, it is not like the Steelers have not paid him great money since he has been here. Put up or shut up.

3. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

i was in part , in favor of cutting his butt in the winter.

I am becoming more and more in favor of what I was in favor of, each day.

what a clown, he is becoming.

he better be careful. Fans in this town will remember how he ends his career here.....and that will last the rest of his life.

what a child

rich kid, getting greedy now.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Be fair with his contract, but if he wants top money make it incentive based as was mentioned for Vonn Miller.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    This is the last year of his current contract. He's getting $15M salary, $4M signing bonus, and $2.5M prorated from his renegotiation last time. He's only making $500k over what he made last season. Just let the contract play out and that be the end. As posted before, fans will remember how he ends his career, and that will be his legacy.

I love Cam Heyward and he's been one of my favorite players on this defense for a long time. He's only 35yrs old with a lot of life left after football. $130M earned over his career should help that transition.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Screw all these players. These big salaries only help line their pockets, the owner's and a big FU to fans. Prices increase every year and continue to rise, shutting down any possibility for fans of modest means to attend games. Don't get me wrong I support capitalism but its gotten out of hand. We are all dumb to pay the money to support this scam. All of the ticket pricing and nfl gear are overpriced.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Loyalty is a 2 way street, I hope Steelers and Cam can work something out!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Greed kills

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Do you say also “screw all these owners”? They take more from taxpayers than the players could ever dream of. Free Stadiums, $50 parking,$20 beers all come from billionaire owners.

10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

he is too weak to do this.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I do. Anything or any person responsible for this and complicit is just taking advantage of the little guy. There is no need to gouge people at any level.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Its both… the owners and your favorite players. If an owner pays your favorite player 100 mil a year, fan is helping pay for salary.Owner is like any other business man, if he is spending more for his employee, less profit. So now he has to raise prices. Plus, you do realize nothing is free.. i. E. free stadium you mentioned. Not only do fans pay with taxes, I am quite sure the city is also collecting revenue from the owner. Once again nothing is free, but advice.
    Closing this novel out, I am a business owner, yes I want to make a profit, but like @Busman said, no need to rape or gouge your customers. Greed kills… Plus God is watching

• Like Like x 2
  13. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    Advertising/TV deals. Don't believe your $50 parking and $20 beers, even a stadium full of buyers is not even a drop in the bucket. The 'little guy' is sticking it to himself believing the NFL is anything other than a business. How much are 50 yard line, lower tier season tickets? 9 'little guys' could all chip in to share the season tickets and still can't afford them.

The Disney business plan is currently to make everything just expensive enough to make themselves inaccessible to a certain percentage of the public. The money they save in not needing to hire the extra employees makes it worth it in the business model. Yet people still go, stand in line, and shove money into the Mouse's pockets.

All you really need to do to see what the NFL really is, is visit Jerrah's World in Dallas or Allegiant in Ls Vagas. Go to a game in L.A., Miami, or Atlanta. It's a whole lot of people there to be seen, not to watch football.

This is why the Steelers fans are universally considered the best fanbase in the NFL. Every stadium around the league becomes full of Terrible Towels when the Steelers are in town, AND they're there to watch, talk, and live football. Even though we all know it means next to nothing to the NFL, it still means a lot to our guys in Black&Gold. THAT is why we do it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Greed is running rampant all over this country, In every industry So very sad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    Again, it's not greed per se. It's just business in a free market. YOU choose what you spend your entertainment dollars on.

• Like Like x 1
  16. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    His run from 2018-2022 was a HOF type performance. A 5 yr run of excellence is about the max you can hope for in the NFL (excluding Quarterbacks). He's not the same guy...maybe for a game or two you see the old Cam...but no longer on a consistent basis is my guess. Incentive deal or...play this year out and thank him for his service.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

this is it.

shut up Cam and play out your final year IN CLASS.

you have made about $80 million dollars playing a child's game

18. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I would love to spend my entertainment dollar on seeing
    the Steelers play in person. The price is out of my range
    must pick and choose at this point Only so much entertainment
    dollars in my budget.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    I agree. Thus my post at #213.

20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    If they give him an extension it should only be for one season. They will draft another DT/DE in the 2nd next season.

Heyward's career earnings are $115,582,735. I don't know if that includes this seasons 16 mill. He had a major injury last season. As the player gets older he slows down and could be suspect to reinjury. Can't throw a boatload of dough his way with the uncertainty how he will bounce back.

Benton is the future. They will build like they have done with the Offensive Line.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
  22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

CUT
    CUT
    and
    CUT again.

teams have to do what is right for the TEAM.

NOT for an INDIVIDUAL

I don't care WHO that individual is.

the world has gone MAD

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Cam is washed anyway. If he doesn’t want to stay loyal when he has already made a boat load of money see ya. Let some other team waste cap space.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    Kahn seems to have a different opinion, at least publicly.

Within the last day or two, Kahn was asked about Cam and he said something to the effect “he has a lot of high quality football left”. You can never read too much into things, but I do believe they will rework/extend Cam’s deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Cam Heyward may need to pull a TJ Watt and sign a cheaper deal to keep his brother on the team.

Jack Colletto is just running over people creating huge holes as FB 1.
    And don't sleep on Arthur Smith's personal TE from the Titans and then the Falcons Mycole Pruitt who seems to be putting together a nice camp from reports and making his claim on the TE #3 role.

I could actually see Connor Heyward getting sent down to the practice squad this year.