1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cam Sutton suspended first eight games

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jul 8, 2024.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

the NFL is littered with nuts - some get caught, some do not.

I have said all of my life - about 10% of these guys might be serving prison time if they were not in the NFL. they'd be on the streets, doing God only knows what. They are young, testosterone filled young men, many from deep dark places. It is ..... what it is. listen to their stories, their documentaries, their upbringings. add hundreds of thousands of dollars to a 22 yr. old bank account, alcohol, pot, etc. , fast cars, women (ALL the vices...) - and yes, things can get ugly FAST.

It's not the Choir, although we are seeing much light of day now these days even coming to the Choir.....:cool::cool:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This news doesn't change much. Did anybody believe Sutton was innocent?

I thought it might be six games, but the accusation of choking and the time he disappeared before turning himself in are ample reasons for two more games. The Steelers probably need to bring in another corner as well as another receiver before the start of the season, but I'm not sure they will get someone who moves the needle for either spot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I probably would have been under the prison of I had that much money in My 20s, or way more STDs. LoL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    Before the Sutton signing, and with Cory Trice standing on the sideline for the offseason Camps, Bishop, Watt and Rush were getting high praise on a lot of the reports coming out.

Not sure if a Suspended player counts against the 53? I was thinking they will probably add a player right before the season after teams have to shrunk down to their 53 man roster. (There is a good chance 1 of these Free Agents could see Mike Hilton pop up if the Bengals decide the Cap savings is too great. Cap Cost $1 million if cut, with a savings of $6.4 million.)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The whole thing is ugly, as a first time offender he was able to enter a deferment program, but honestly surprised he only ot 8 week suspension.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I expected it. Still think it's a good signing I think Cam is going to stay in football shape and make a contribution.

I think he made a mistake maybe went throufj some tough times. He's paying for it now, but I think he will show he's worth giving him a second chance.

Hopefully he'll get the help he needs. He had no issues while he was here. We deal with people at the end of the day and I think Tomlin should be commended for how he handles these situations as I think it's one of his strengths.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Did he ever admit to it? Interesting that it got bargained down to a misdemeanor. Loved the guy when he was in Knoxville but if the reports are all accurate, that is some really bad stuff.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    He doesn't count against the 53 man roster during the suspension. Also his salary for the 1st 8 games won't count against the cap. He'll be a fresh body just when the schedule becomes brutal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    But will he count for the final 53 man cut down before the season starts? Before the season starts the Steelers submit a 53 man roster to the NFL, and all players not on the 53 are released that day. Later the released players can then be singed to the Practice squad.

I have seen where multiple players make the 53 man roster before the season starts, and then the very next day they are put on IR, and then the team is allowed to sign players to replace them for Week 1. I don't know if this is the way a suspension works.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2024
  10. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I could see Sullivan or maybe even Peterson. Sullivan we know can do it. But Peterson really wants another Crack at being with us in another position.

11. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Bishop does have issues. So the question is, can he get that worked out.

12. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    That's what I would like to know.

13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He had to plead guilty to something, but I doubt we are getting much more confirmation of specifics.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Hopefully not. Hope he is sitting at home or with another team so we won't have to see:

upload_2024-7-11_11-2-48.jpeg

He is to slow to play the outside or the slot. They are going to stick with the players they have I believe and see how it works in camp. There will be camp cuts or just releases. That's how they got Joe Haden.

• Like Like x 2
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    from the reports i have heard is that bishop was a steal as an UDFA. they also talk about him being a very good fit for the slot position. we shall see. there are some options. will free agents want to come and play for half a season and then have to give way to sutton? that will probably arise in the signing of anyone.

tells a little about him here.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...S&cvid=d6c6a9bb2b5049c4817d35c07a8fe62e&ei=75

:cool:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 2
  16. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Good point

17. 78steelers

78steelers Active Member

Nov 15, 2023
    Cam will not count against the 53 man roster. He is allowed to practice in training camp and play in the three preseason games. August 27 at 4 pm is when his suspension starts.

• Informative Informative x 3
  18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I expect we’ll see Chandon Sullivan come back again. He’s a guy I wanted us to upgrade from (and Sutton is that upgrade), but he is a passable nickel in a pinch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    My thoughts on who is the Starting Slot CB to open the season.

I believe Mike Hilton will be the starting slot corner for the Steelers in Week 1. It only costs the Bengals $1 million to save $7 million against the Cap and the Bengals could have Hilton as CB #4 on their roster when the season starts. If 2022 1st round draft pick Dax Hill is ready to start for the Bengals this drops Mike Hilton to CB #4. Jamar Chase and Tee Higgins could use that extra money for their new contracts.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2024
  20. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    He's better than Patrick Peterson or Witherspoon if that means anything.

21. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    I have a really hard time with saying what Cam did was a "mistake". A "mistake" is something you do unintentionally. What was described sounded very much intentional, in fact, criminal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
  23. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I think everyone agrees. He did wrong and is being punished accordingly.

Definition of 'mistake'

'an action or decision that is wrong or produces a result that is not correct or not intended:'

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/mistake#google_vignette

Cam is out 8 games. It's up to him how this proceeds forward.

• Like Like x 1