1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jaylen Warren cracks top 20 list.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jun 24, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm sure you have some nonsense theory why the coaches would give more touches to the guy you think is the lesser back, but they are nonsense.

2. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, not enough of that narrative. Ball security is a huge part of the job and that is just part of why Harris has a huge advantage in that area.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    LOL Presenting the facts is somehow exaggerating. You're funny.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    1154 yards for warren last year.

1205 yards for harris last year.

210 touches for warren.

284 touches for harris.

51 yards of difference but 74 more touches for harris. not really sure you can call warren the lesser back. maybe the more efficient back. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

glad I make you laugh. You have become the ENTERTAINMENT of opinions here on the board!!

thanks for the jokes.

6. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    It can be fixed with the right coaching. Tiki Barber comes to mind. Was a fumbling machine until he learned how to protect the ball.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Very much so exaggerated. The more accurate wording would be Harris is better at securing the football but by no means does Warren have a fumbling problem, thats just a silly narrative.

Just watching them both run you can see Warren is the better of the two. An UDFA that has gotten better each year and still hasnt reached his peak.

They like Harris so much they didn’t pick up a very affordable option. It’s not a mistake, they are telling you what they think of him.

I say the odds are good they end up extending Warren.

8. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

correct - PLENTY of silly narratives floating around here!!

Warren gets extended - for a good value. This will be Najee's last season here.

it is a business. some here act like FAMILY MEMBERS with these guys!!

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I like Harris, I really wanted him here long term but the writing on the wall doesn’t seem to indicate he will be unless he is willing to sign for a lot less. Fat chance given his comments last year.

They clearly are comfortable with Warren and will find a RB to pair him up with in 2025, might even be Edwards.

10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

I like Harris too - shocked they did not grab that 1 yr option.

But.....have to trust the Brass some in what they are doing , and where the see strength / weakness in players.

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Maybe....yet that is only one example against a bunch that never learned.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Again context matters....when You get the ball....what down....the yardage. You know this yet you skip it.
    Very Very simple example......If I hand You the ball on 3rd, and 2.....who do You think the D is looking for......now if I hand you the ball on 3rd, and 8.....people don't you see the difference???
    Another example: If we are already known as a running team because our Qbs suck.....1st , and 10....who do You think the D is looking for......now 3rd , and 10.

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So same amount of fumbles with 600 less touches is nothing.
    So if our Qb throws the same amount of ints with 600 less passes.....no big deal. LoL
    I know this is hard for some.....but we aren't talking 6 less touches.....60 less touches.....We are talking 600 less touches......do You actually know how many touches that is.....that's like two years more of playing time.
    Also so now if they don't pay Him that proves that the next guy is better.......they didn't keep Ben either.....was Trubisky, KFP, and Mason better???? LoL.

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    600 less touches....yet the same amount of fumbles....is an exaggeration???
    So if a Qb throws 600 more passes than another Qb, but has the same ints.....no biggie????
    You know dang well it would be, but it doesn't fit into the Warren is better than Najee narrative. Remember not 6 touches.....not 60 touches.....600 touches.

15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

this is true

in the end, we will see. for whatever reason, the FO feels good with where we are. and I like Harris, but if we are thinking Aiyuk or other BIG PLAY and expensive players, then Najee is not where I want a ton of $$ invested.

TIME
    WILL
    TELL

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

your point is understood.

the data points to more TO's with Warren.

Warren can change and improve.
    and he is (much) more explosive than Najee

most seem to agree with that, you don't

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree He's faster....., but I also agree Fields has a strong arm.....doesn't make Him a better Qb.....so You get My meaning.
    Difference is.....I like Warren.....I think He is great for what He is, but He is not an every down back, and people seem to forget what happened every time they decided to lean His way.....all of a sudden....stuffed in the backfield, and every game day on the game thread...I would point this out.....crickets. It was funny.....1st , and 10....Najee get 2 yards...."He has no vision"......1st , and 10....Warren gets dropped for a loss.... "Crickets "
    Yes some backs get better at holding onto the ball,,but many many many Rbs have shown that they couldn't.

18. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I might be wrong here but I thought in one of the previous multi-page debates about Warren versus Harris, someone did a deep dive into the down and distances for each running back. If I remember correctly, the results showed that Warren was not running on 3rd down or any specific first down distances any more than Harris was. Both backs were used primarily in the same situations.
    I've tried to look up specific stats such as those but don't necessarily know where to look and trying to go back and find that page would be a nightmare.

19. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Lets see how well Warren does as the featured back that defenses can key on!!! I am not saying he doesn't have more splash plays, but I can't hardly even begin to say he is better. Thats an impossible comparison based on the playing time, carries, situation etc. to when each has played. I do however agree that this is Harris's last season as a Steeler, I hope it's a great one!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes that would be great if they had the same amount of carries, but 106 less carries is never going to average out the same. If You , and I do the exact same things, but You do it 106 times more a ....there is a difference.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    So once again, Harris being better at ball security does not mean Warren is a fumbling machine. Perhaps you are familiar with our head coach Mike Tomlin, he hates fumbling, you get benched for it. Does Warren look like he is losing playing time? No, he’s not, in fact he continues to eat into Harris touches.

As much as you’d like 5 career fumbles to be some ungodly amount of fumbles, it’s just not. he had 1 his first season *GASP* and 4 last year, 2 of which came in that ugly Ravens game.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Warren had over 1,000 yards from scrimmage last season, I think defenses are aware of him.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Complete bs :bscow:

He had plenty of 1st and 2nd down carriers that he excelled at.

His 74 yard TD run came on 2nd down. How many 74 yard TD runs does Harris have? *crickets*

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Najee has 5 career fumbles in 834 carries, thats an avg of 1 fumble per 166 carries. Jaylen Warren has 5 career fumbles in 226 carries, thats an avg of 1 fumble per 45 carries, extrapolate Jaylen over the next 600 carries and thats 13 more fumbles or for the ones who think Warren isnt fumble prone, that would 18 fumbles to Naje's 5. Harris has had 1000 yards rushing his first 3 seasons, so whatever...

25. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    A fumble every 45 touches certainly isn't good but I think we can pump the brakes a little on whether it's going to be a consistent problem in the future or not.

If I'm being honest, I hate that we're even having this ridiculous debate because I like both backs and they've both been productive. I like a two back system but all of this petty back and forth about who is better gets trumped by what the team decides. Whatever reason they have, they choose not to pick up Harris' option. My guess is that maybe they feel they can get enough production out of Warren at a cheaper price if they let Harris walk.
    Who knows if that's true but I do know this, the guys that make those decisions are infinitely smarter about football than this dirty construction worker right here. I'm inclined to trust the way they do things.