1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers have the NFL's smallest 2024 coaching staff

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jun 24, 2024.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  2. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Yes but this year it's the smallest, not just one of the smallest

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Did t care last year. Or the year before. Or the year before that. Or…

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s not the size, it’s how you use it.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    But mediocre Mike got more $$ ,

Last edited: Jun 24, 2024
  7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I checked cowher’s coaching staff in 2006. Including him there was a grand total of 12

• Like Like x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    just because they are small? they can't help it they were born that way. take them out for some barbeque or to premanti's a couple of times a week they will get bigger. not sure how this translates to them coaching though. they are not so small the players can't see them. :shrug::smiley1::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Everything's bigger in Dallas!!!

How 'bout them Cowboys?!?!?!

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    How are they going to see over the big players on the sidelines?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Less is more. Quality over quantity.

12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    This has been something for decades. In the 70's we had one of (if not) the smallest staff. Noll was not only HC, but sp. teams coach, he loved it and did not want to give it up. When the other teams were expanding staffs, we still won SB's. Not sure when the official transition started, but eventually we did hire and expand. A couple of years ago I looked and some teams had 30 plus on staff (this included weight room and some other behind the scenes things). Personally, I think you can go overboard, but we do need 3 guys for challenges, one to caal for it or not, one to grab the flag and throw it, and another to hold MT;s arm from throwing it. That alone is worth a few brews after the game.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
  14. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Quality over quainity.
    Less is more,
    It’s not the size of the staff, it’s what you do with it.

Ok, their small quality coaching staff hasn’t won a playoff game since the Obama administration. 10 AFC teams have won playoff games since the Steelers did. And that quality small staff had the wily offensive genius, Matt Canada, on it for 4 yrs.

Yup, no reason to question staff size! at all!
    The enduring ability of Yinzers to trust ‘Da Stiller Way’ without question is a modern sports marvel,

Last edited: Jun 26, 2024 at 8:43 PM
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    If we were playing well and didn't have a bottom tier offense this wouldn’t be an issue. But since our offensive output has been atrocious this smallest coaching staff size has to be looked at and criticized. Belichick could overcome it because he was capable. Tomlin……?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    How would having a larger staff help? I want good coaches. Not "many" coaches. Tomlin does not have a good history with making good hires. A larger collection of bums, is still just a collection of bums.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Maybe another coach would have had enough time to teach KP to read a defense

18. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    Really?? NE with the smallest staff in 2022 and 2023. Their record was 8-9, and 4-13 those seasons.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    smallest, in mind - in brain capacity??!?!

LOL!!!!

20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Amazing isn't it! :lolol:

21. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    upload_2024-6-27_10-19-8.jpeg :cool: (For Strummer - at least it's not Boston or Journey.)

22. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah, possibly a major contributing factor to us being stuck in mediocrity. Maybe if they had a couple more sets of eyes OR some gem of a coach developed we wouldn’t have botched the Dotson situation. We just let a young player like him walk because he’s not noticed or shown signs of being good and then goes to the Rams and IMMEDIATELY balls out as a top Guard in the league.

Even Kendrick Green played far better with the Texans than he ever did here.

The last two years it took 3/4 of the season for the O-line to start to function like an NFL front 5.

Maybe the staff is spread too thin and can be some of the reason that I hear EVERY YEAR for at least the last 5 that we have communication issues on defense.

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So do You think those Guys going to play with better Qb might have helped some???
    Mason is not a great Qb, but He was better than what we were using, and look how much better the OL looked with Him as Qb......now think about how much better the others Qbs were.
    JMO, but a Qb can make any OL look better, or worse

24. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I thought that was the job of Mike Sullivan? You don't need two people telling someone the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Obviously everyone one a team benefits from better players around them. I think the fact that Mason Rudolf, a better option, being right there in house and under the nose of the FEW coaches that we had/have only strengthens my position. He’s just another great example (thanks for reminding me) of *possibly* another reason he was so over looked and his skill growth was so unrecognized for so long.

Mason certainly looked and operated the offense better than anyone we had and likely who we now have (another mistake coming). Maybe someone could have said, “hey, I’m relegated to working with Rudolf and the practice squad for a while now and he’s made some serious improvements and showing a better player than we all remember AND far better than Tribisky. But Tomlin would likely screw that up and brush it off anyway. I bet Tomlin has a pretty large ego behind closed doors.

I don’t think any reasonable person in America of the world would believe that a school classroom isn’t better with a lower teacher to student ratio. Why would coaching be any different?

I think that any reason that someone could present about the benefits of a smaller coaching staff vs. a larger one could be trumped by arguing for more tutelage and instruction. ESPECIALLY one that has been mired in mediocrity for so long.

Look, we have all seen the evidence of poor game planning and schemes for a long time, I don’t know how anyone could say otherwise. Opposing teams have commented on it as well as unbiased football talking heads outside of the Steelers black and gold bleeding fan base. If the scheme and plans are medicre I would still lobby for more coaches to help the players skills and fundamentals be supported at a minimum.