1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rooney wants a game in Ireland

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rollers, Jun 19, 2024.

1. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    JMO, but I don't like the whole Idea of out of the US games. Yes....I know the don't care what I like, or want, and I know they want it all global, but it just makes little sense. Do they play in places in the USA that doesn't have NFL teams???? No....so why do it in another country ???

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    The money has gotten so big now the league no longer cares about catering to the fans. Fan contribution is so very small in the big financial picture. Corporate money, and the quest for international money is the business of the NFL now. Look at the money already being generated by individual sports leagues like tennis, golf, F1, etc. Now that the gambling sites have attached themselves to the NFL worldwide, it's only a matter of time before NFL Europe is a thing again. Butts in the seats means little to nothing as far as a revenue source.

We fans still have the 'on the field' product to consume and cheer for/against, but that is not how THEY pay the bills, so to speak.

• Like Like x 1
  4. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I would totally travel to Ireland to see a Steelers game. Been wanting to plan a trip there anyway. One more reason to go.

• Like Like x 2
  5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You know they sell Guinness and Harp right here across the pond right? :drinks:

I'd love to see the castles and countryside too. My Lady's daughter and boyfriend (who are a real nice laid back couple) just got back from Ireland (around Dublin) and they said the people pretty much everywhere were rude to them and seem to hate Americans. We have a few Irish fans on this MB who could probably chime in. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s great for the fans of the game that live outside the US but logistics its just a terrible idea for the teams. To try and actually establish teams in different countries would be a nightmare. The greed is off the charts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Of course Rooney wants a game in Ireland, Rooneio wants a game in Italy.

Mo money is all they care about.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    As a businessman, you can try to increase your sales by expanding your markets, or you can keep just trying to sell the same thing to the people that threaten to boycott you every time someone does something "woke" and hope the money keeps coming in.

9. UKSheffieldSteeler

UKSheffieldSteeler Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2020
    I would love this but completely understand why people wouldn't.

• Like Like x 1
  10. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    That’s a fair point, but I still like the idea

• Like Like x 1
  11. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Not really a fan of Guinness. Used to drink Harp back in the day. I'm sure there's plenty of places that don't like Americans but once I belly up to the bar, drink and sing like them, they'll have no choice but to accept me!:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  12. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    People in foreign countries tend to hate Americans who act, well, American. We're loud. We dress funny. We don't follow their customs. We expect to be treated with deference. We don't follow, or even care to know, local customs. We expect everyone to understand "American English", not the weird stuff the Brits speak.
    My one trip overseas I got to go on a bus ride full of Americans deriding the local "****hole" country and it's inhabitants. I wouldn't have blamed the "local" bus driver if he had accidently driven over a cliff.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    I went to a large music festival in Germany, traveled to Norway, Sweden, and Denmark and didn't encounter any anti-American sentiment. It's all how you carry yourself, I guess. Although I will say, some Germans had zero interest in speaking English to us.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I guess we will soon have to change the name to the International Football League. I am completely opposed!

• Like Like x 2
  15. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree wholeheartedly. We get a lot of that over here in California which is essentially a foreign Country of it's own. :rolleyes: The 2 people whom I referenced are not like that at all so I don't know what was going on. I have a funny story about when I took my family to Switzerland. My youngest daughter and I both love deli's and unique cheeses so we made a B line to the first deli/market we saw which was huge. We were scouting the cheese section and finally asked the lady clerk where the "Swiss" cheese was thinking that when in Switzerland, the Swiss cheese must be incredible. She looked at us puzzled and simply stated: "It's ALL Swiss!". I'm sure we would have gotten similar responses in other countries for Belgium Waffles, Italian Bread or Russian Dressing. And why on Earth did "American Cheese" become the household name for that processed phony rubbery slab of stuff people in this Country put on burgers and sandwiches? :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You just want to see Erin Go Bragh(less). :drinks:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  17. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022

Keepsumfrahangun

18. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011

Fahrvergnügen! :cool:

19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Correct.....the Ambassadorship Train continues!!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Yes I had to Google that. Yes I was hoping it would be a hot girl. Yes I was disappointed to find out that it wasn't.

21. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I was in Northern Europe in the mid 70's. To this day I tell young men with jet black hair to visit Oslo. To those Norwegian hotties I was interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  22. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Be better if Rooney cared more about playoff wins.

• Winner Winner x 2
  23. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Saw one of the most gorgeous women I've ever seen in a random gas station in Norway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Wacken?

25. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Whether we like it or not it’s coming. With the advent of what we’re using to communicate at this very minute, it’s truly a Global world. Local, is quickly and sadly becoming a thing of the past. For many of us, the world we grew up in is fading. At least I still have my Steelers, for now…

Go Steelers!

• Agree Agree x 1