1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kaboly: Camp winners and losers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jun 17, 2024.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

No surprise he had Muth as the biggest winner. As many of us thought, he should thrive in Smiths offense. He could also be why they go into the season with the WR group as it is even though Kaboly still thinks something will get done there.

Had Wilson on the list, says hes been great and his leadership shines through. Doesn’t think there is anything Wilson can do between now and the start of the season to lose the starting job.

Which leads to one of the players on his losers list. Fields, not so much because of anything he did, just that he has a lot of obstacles to overcome and has to refine his game still. Too much first read and run.

Another player on the winners list is Sutton. Said he instantly makes the defense better and Detroit never should have moved him from the slot.

Nick Herbig was another winner, said the biggest problem he sees with him is getting him snaps but he came to camp with a bunch of new moves.

Another guy on the loser list was Washington. Said he is never going to much more than a blocking TE, not going to be a 30 catch guy.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Washington might not be a 30 catch guy, they need to use him more than Canada did especially in the red zone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Not worried about Washington at all. He’s a 6th offensive linemen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

of course DET never should have moved him from the slot, BUT that is WHY Det signed him - as an outside starter. Steelers Fans knew better.

Muth should flourish here, provided he can stay HEALTHY. Concussions and knee / hamstring (?) have held him back. He is very talented. Kenny and Canada did him no favors.
    and yes - he is why they can move forward w/o any wild move for another WR, has been stated before here.

Herbig will get his snaps.

sorry to hear this on big man Washington. But 25 - 30 is good. Move the chains with him.

• Like Like x 2
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So....just curious....what's that say about the difference in the HC,GM, and President of Football operations from Steelers to the Lions. Before You answer.... We can guess if it was done the opposite way it would have been.....see how stupid Tomlin is. LoL
    Also...I still believe we will see more out of Washington than we did last year

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I read, and watched a video that said Fields is looking pretty bad on ball placement....they are saying some are terrific, but , many are not close....like one was described.....3 feet above even Pickens reach. ...now of course I'm not there....so Just going by what other are reporting.

7. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i don't think I would have said 'see how stupid Tomlin is'. I have said Colbert was a failure his latter years here, a colossal failure. I have faulted Colbert (and Tomlin) for Steelers failures over the years. Ultimate blame is on Rooney.

We will see if Khan and Tomlin are a better match.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    The only reason Washington won't be a 30+ catch TE here is because of all the other weapons we have on the O...
    Muth is obviously TE1 while Pickens is gonna eat his fill.... Najee and Warren will be involved, if for no other reason than to keep defenses honest, and the other wr's are burners in their own right..... there's only so many balls to go around...
    That said, there is absolutely no good reason for Washington to not be the main focus in the red zone

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Darnell Washington averaging 30 catches this season is going to be far more massive that Mark Kaboly believes. The fact that teams will now have to account for him more than his rookie season will create opportunities without question. The RedZone though, is where Washington will be at his most dangerous.

Not seeing the likes of Broderick Jones on the list is disappointing. Then again, it is behind a paywall.... so I am not sure.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I hear Herbig just ate the rookie FAUTANU for breakfast during the drills. Fautanu was listed as one of the losers on many peoples board, because of how much Herbig dominated him. 2nd Team vs 2nd Team. Should be interesting to see what happens with this battle when the pads come on. :)

We will know what is up with Russell Wilson when training camp starts. Training camp is when the wheels came off for Russell in Denver when he brought his circus to town. And when I say circus I literally mean "CIRCUS". Under the big top in a private tent, set in a private area, where he brought in his own security to check people at the entrance. Denver reporters were always making jokes about when they tried to get into the private area Russell had setup and they were not "On the List" (Family, Friends, personal Coaches and Trainers along with his security detail there was about 30-40 people on the list under Russell's Big Top.

What are the odds that Russell actually stays at the college during training camp and not somewhere private?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    It is really hard for an O-Lineman to dominate in shorts.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. LoneHorseman

LoneHorseman Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    In that situation, the real loser was the shorts themselves

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    No kidding! That’s 510 catches!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
  14. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Better move him up your fantasy draft board. You've got a title to defend.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Just realized how I worded that statement.

Wow... :blush:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    President of football operations is the true key to everything.

17. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    If their plan for Washington was for him to be strictly a blocker, for me they wasted a draft pick. If he doesn't get 50+ receptions, I will be very disappointed.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I’ve seen it written that the criticism of him is warranted.

What I think will happen is Wilson starts this whole season and if he plays himself into a big contract the Steelers will move onto Fields. Give him a year to work on his game and see what he can do. Probably draft someone as well.

Of course if Wilson really is washed up then we will see Fields this season. I have no idea what to expect out of either of them. They got them dirt cheap for a reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Washington will primarily be blocking. He’s not that guy. Nothing special about him as a receiving TE other than being tall. This was argued by some of us when he came out of college.

Gentry was just as tall and did nothing, was not some big weapon in the endzone. I suspect they will get the same type of production out of Washington.

• Like Like x 1
  20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Wait, hold on a second. You mean to tell me a rookie in his 1st ever OTA's and mandatory minicamp, learning an entirely new offense was unable to stop a smaller high motor outside linebacker in his second year where he is trying to show the coaches he is ready to split time with TJ and Highsmith? My god what is football coming to? In all seriousness there is one thing I care about in the offseason programs, well that's not accurate there are two. First is team building activities and second is no one gets hurt. So nobody trying to prove draft status by throwing other guys around, that comes in Latrobe.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    You guys are just jumping the game on Washington way too early.

Washington is not a 1st or 2nd round pick coming out of college he was not asked to catch the ball in college. Give him a few years and you may have yourself a very capable TE, especially if they are going to start moving Pat outside to the slot. Look at the Pittsburgh GOAT 1st round pick TE Heath Miller, who did not crack 50 receptions until his 5th year.

Funny Stat for Washington on his receptions... He leads the team for the highest percentage of receptions for a 1st down; 57% of his receptions going for a 1st down.

• Like Like x 2
  22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    not worried about any of these guys right now. they are all learning each other and the offense itself right now. there are many moving parts and weapons to this offense that may emerge once the games start. washington, patterson, heyward, pruitt. i believe at some point we will see all these guys make plays for this team this year. not as main role guys but as players that defenses sleep on. they are all capable of playing that role and it will at some point come up big in games. this may be quite fun to watch. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I can't say that I'm worried about Fields, but my eyebrows are raised. I'll give him through camp and if the reports are the same, I'm definitely going to hope that scouting looks long and hard at QB for next year's draft. If he has a solid camp and starts to improve some, then I definitely work out a 2 year prove it deal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    That’s concerning. If he has trouble knowing where to throw AND lacks accuracy, well, that’s a pretty bad double whammy for a QB. But, hey, he can run!

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Man Heath and Washington couldn’t be further apart in ability.

Heath hit the ground running his first season, 39 catches, 459 yards and 6 TD’s. Only similarity between them is they both can block.

Where did 50 catches come from, Heath only did that 6 times in his 11 year career, thats a high bar man. Guarantee you Washington never cracks that number, won’t come close to that.

• Agree Agree x 3