1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

James Daniels

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, May 31, 2024.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    The team informed Daniels that they are not extending him after the season.... looks like Mason McCormack is gonna be groomed as his successor for 2025.... financially, this would definitely help the cap number (at least in the short term), but on field is still in question.... I'm very excited about Mason's addition, and I think he can be very good, but I feel the team is jumping the gun.... Daniels and Seomalu are among the best guard tandems in the league and McCormack hasn't played a snap yet...... pretty sure the F.O. and coaches should actually see Mason in live game action before anointing him as the future of the position

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    We don't know if Mason is the next man up, but I haven't seen anything out of Daniel's to pay him 20+ Million next year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Daniels is a solid player. Herbig's only signed through this season. McCormack will have a season to learn and will cost very little.

I'm not surprised. They will have to pay Wilson next season. If they trade for Aiyuk he's going to cost. And if they give Heyward a contract extension he is going to cost. Plus I believe they will extend Muth.

I'm not in favor of a contract extension for Heyward. Let him play it out and see what he has left but we will see soon what their plans are.

Daniels cap hit this season is 11,166.668 with a dead cap of 2,916.668.

Don't want to lose Daniels but you can't pay everyone.

They are fortunate they don't have to pay a QB crazy money this season.

• Like Like x 4
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    seumalo is aging before our eyes too. i expect we see some more o-line draft picks next year as well. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Yes, Seumalu is 30, but Daniels is only 27....
    I'm pretty sure not extending Daniels is a combination of McCormack's potential and the cap hit

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The writing was on the wall when they drafted McCormick, guards got paid this last free agency period.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree. next year they should draft another guard while seumalo is still here for a year. or free agency again. the two we have right now are probably the best tandum in the league. at least very close to it. maybe herbig gets extended. he doesn't have a lot of wear and tear on him. he can play center if needed as well and that would give him more time there as well by next year. of course he's not super cheap either. a 4 mil. a year backup right now, so that price would go up. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dreegking

Dreegking Member

Mar 18, 2022
    Guys Heyward’s age, but also his level of play, deserve extensions, but without much guaranteed. If they stay healthy, great. Plus it could help the cap hit this year with a lower per year salary, as it surely would be. Or should be. That could help get a pretty did oak player under contract for this one and done year.

9. Dreegking

Dreegking Member

Mar 18, 2022
    Good points it all depends on contract numbers imo. These dudes can go well into their thirties after all. Both are at an age that doesn’t matter. It’s the cost of business that is the future dilemma

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    The Guard market went through the roof this offseason so Daniel’s would want a lot of money if he was to sign a new deal, at least $15m APY. They probably want to see what they have in McCormick before making any decision. They can always re-sign or tag Daniel’s next offseason if they need to.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Interesting talk about about James Daniels being the center of attention in the San Fran trade rumors for Aiyuk or Deebo.

12. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Be nice to keep the online intact for a while once the new guys get up to speed. Giving Daniels a market deal next year might be necessary.

13. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Wow looking at Daniels highlight tape, he looks like an all-Pro.

Wow, looking at that 2023 highlight tape of Daniels, he looked like an All-Pro. Don't see many guards that can do what he does. A real mauler.

14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I wonder if James Daniels was asking for Kevin Dotson type money when the Steelers told him they were not going to extend him this year.

But you guys said I was better than Dotson when you made me the starter and sent Dotson to San Diego. Now I want my 3 year $48 million contract with $32 million guaranteed, just like Dotson got.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

What about Spencer Anderson?! He is supposed to be manning the backup guard duty correct?! In addition, who is to say the likes of Anderson and McCormick cannot be a tandem?! Not disagreeing with you regarding acquiring more Offensive Lineman (I'd prefer it actually) but if Spencer Anderson can do well and secure his place on the final 53, I would definitely entertain the idea of him of being a starter capable IOL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Crap hits the fan this season we may need Jack way more then James;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Why do you say that?

Seumalo is 30 and Daniels is 26, so I was thinking maybe they should have resigned Daniels, but then I checked the 2023 stats. I know their PFF stats, but Seumalo finished as one of the best pass blocking guards in the NFL, and an overall ranking of 14th in the league. Daniels finished ranked 20th

https://lacheeseweek.ca/luxury/odc1196589P0d41/
    The result was an overall PFF grade of 71.9, 14th best among guards and a season without allowing a single sack. He also only allowed 26 pressures in 2023, which translates to a pressure rate allowed of 4.8%.”

Watching the Steelers last season, it was clear that Seumalo was having a great season. His pass-blocking stats were even better than what was on the tape. Seumalo was sandwiched between Dan Moore Jr. at left tackle and Mason Cole at center, two of the NFL’s worst players at their respective positions last season. So it was sometimes difficult to see whether Seumalo was being defeated in isolation or simply getting stuck trying to catch up with his teammates. According to PFF stats, he wasn’t beaten one-on-one very often.

18. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I wonder if Daniels was part of the locker room issues they had last season? It seems Kahn has made a concerted effort purge some players that proved to be a distraction.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Anderson may be a value in another year. I think kahn has to look at value along with talent. If Daniels isn't going to be re-signed, and herbig is in his last year. Depth will be an issue for a swing guy.:cool:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It's more likely Khan doesn't want to pay Daniels, guards got paid this offseason.

21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I remember watching the Draft and ESPN announced us taking Guard Troy Fautanu. Crystal Ball????

If somehow James Daniels gets involved in the Brandon Aiyuk trade creating a massive hole at guard, do the Steelers think about sliding Fautanu into that position for a year? Mason McCormick coming from the Jackrabbits is probably a few steps behind Fautanu in being ready to make the jump to the NFL his rookie year.

My favorite OT in last years draft was Peter Skoronski, and I think he started every game last year for the Titans at Guard.

Steelers / 49ers Trade
    Get WR Brandon Aiyuk
    Give G James Daniels and a 3rd round pick.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2024