1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Khan making his mark

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, May 6, 2024.

1. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    Speed = the Al Davis school of drafting WRs. What did it ever get the Raiders?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    stop playing holier then thou scribe. you and i both know the reference to a bunch of hills was the way he plays the game and what the team does with him against defenses. speed is his game. the defense has to account for his speed. if you have that type of speed in every receiver you put on the field it makes the defense have to be aware of it. which in turn can keep the defense from stacking the box which will be the bread and butter of the offense. pretty simple. i figured a guy with your so called intelligence as you want the board to believe would see that and not think this reference was per each player being a direct comparison to tyreek hill. wow i'm surprised i have to spell that out to you yet again.

there are several write- ups on the steelers trying to do just what i have described to you but you seem still butt hurt that they didn't pick the guy you think they should. similar to the linebacker from indy that you clamored about for years. the one no longer playing and hasn't played much for a few years. contrary to popular belief some players actually get better. austin could be one of them. sometimes you can be like that skipping record. on and on and on and on. there is more ways to do things than just yours. the steelers seem to have a plan with the group they see every day. i'll trust they seem to know what they are doing. ok i'll wait for the twisted response that i know will be coming. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't need to twist anything, but I will try to show you the courtesy of sticking to the content of your post, a courtesy you did not extend to me.

I was right about Leonard, too. That guy who you claim hasn't played much for a few years started 12 games in 2023. Injuries can always sideline a player, but Leonard was a four-time All-Pro before he got hurt in 2022. That would have been a hell of a lot more valuable to the Steelers than Edmunds. It would have likely spared them the disaster of trading up for Devin Bush.

The comparison of a stable of scrubs to Hill was laughable. The idea that the Steelers could use Van Jefferson or Quez Watkins the way the Dolphins use Hill is even more laughable. Hill is a terrible person, but on the field, there is a lot more to his game than speed. He is a tremendous route-runner. Hill isn't just a threat to opposing defenses due to his speed. He is a threat because of what he has shown he can do with it. Speed is great, but it is worthless if the guy can't make plays. Remember Darrius Heyward-Bey?

I never suggested that Austin can't improve, but based on what he has shown so far, a team in win-now mode should not be counting on him as a No. 2 or No. 3 receiver. The Steelers' moves, especially at quarterback, are those of a team in win-now mode. I have explained that before. Perhaps the issue with understanding was on your end of things.

Last edited: May 28, 2024
  4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...S&cvid=5916ba39b47d4ed58e759bfb14acd44f&ei=29

the head coach and GM seem OK with this group. he has also said he wanted to add speed to the team. seems he has done that. the league is full of good route runners. the speed along with those routes is what will make teams have to defend it beyond the ten yard chain moving route runners. they will double guys like hill and in our case pick your poison. do you double pickens and leave austin or watkins or jefferson or mims or miller or wilson single covered with a second or third corner or safety? any of them are capable of going over the top and running by those 2nd or 3rd corners and most safeties. :cool:

Last edited: May 28, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Dont forget coaches. Canada canned mid season. That doesn't happen too often either. Maybe Mikes turn is approaching. I don’t think he outlasts Khan.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Austin has not showed much because......never mind. I think even you can figure out why. I have explained plenty of times. They see him as a #3 or even 4. Jefferson might be the #3. Yes - relying on a Rook is risky. But will be done with Wilson. They are even moving Muth to the slot as a semi WR. Big bodied, slot WR. We will see AS cooks up.

watch this season.

it all blows up if this offense does not produce........

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Actually, you weren't right about Leonard because he wasn't a first round type of player.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm quite certain opposing defenses will take their chances. I'm just shocked that the coach and GM are defending their roster. Shocked, I tell you!:roflmao:

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He was rated higher than Edmunds, the guy they did take. That was easy. Got anything else?

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The advantage of a guy like Freiermuth is he gets a tight end's matchups, which is lost if you play him in the slot.

You can repeat your excuses all you like. They left themselves without a No. 2 and they did so unnecessarily.

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Why can't you just admit you were wrong about Leonard going in the first round?

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I wasn't. The Steelers should have taken him ahead of Edmunds. This is inarguable among the sane.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Is it possible they just didn't want him?

Frankly, We have Tyler Boyd's on this team already. Let's set the bar higher.

14. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I mean, if you're right in a way. Instead of taking a 3rd round guy in the first in Edmunds they could have taken a 2nd round guy in the first in Leonard.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, they don't. Boyd is far better than any veteran receiver they have other than Pickens.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Instead of taking a scrub, they could have taken an All-Pro. Of course, that is hindsight, but they could have taken the better player at a position of need and likely spared themselves the disaster of trading up for Bush.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    thank God colbert isn't picking anymore mrs. leonard. :cool:

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I would have been just as happy with Nick Chubb, who I argued they should take before they selected Edmunds, but you do you, Mrs. Edmunds.

19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers won a Super Bowl with Hines Ward, Antwaan Randel El and Nate Washington as starting WRs.

Can anyone name the 3 starting WRs for the Super Bowl Champion Kansas City Chiefs?

• Like Like x 2
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That 2005 team also had Cedric Wilson step up big in the playoffs and they had Heath Miller. Pat Freiermuth is no Heath Miller. That said, I'd happily take Randle El over any receiver on the current Steelers' roster other than Pickens. That was also nearly 20 years ago. The game has become even more pass-happy.

Regarding the comparison to the Chiefs, the Steelers don't have Travis Kelce, who changes things. That said, Rashee Rice, Valdes-Scantling, and Moore were the starters much of the time. Justin Wilson was part of the mix, too. That limited receiving corps is what made the Chiefs look vulnerable during the regular season. A big part of their improvement in the playoffs was Valdes-Scantling started holding on to the ball.

• Like Like x 1
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't believe I ever mentiond edmunds once in this thread. Just work in on you a little scribe. ;):smiley1::cool:

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I bet Roman Wilson will have better stats this season than Boyd.

23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers were trying to extend LeVeon, and drafted Conner there was no need to draft Chubb :facepalm:. There's a lot of hindsight going with your posts :rolleyes:.

24. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I kept complaining about drafting Oline, and they did not disappoint. I currently love both Khan and don't forget Weidl who is playing more behind the scenes.

Imo pay these people as players come and go you need good people that can evaluate players and know how to wheel and deal a bit which is what I've seen so far.

Focus on the team culture and let the primidonas play elsewhere.

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    No team was going to draft a small school ILB who has average size and speed in the first round :facepalm:. I once asked Alex Kozora if there was any chance they would've drafted Leonard in the first round, his answer was no. Lolley and Williamson was laughing at fans like you with the hindsight about Leonard.

• Agree Agree x 1