1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Khan making his mark

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, May 6, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You started your post with fiction. I understand Smith's offense just fine. Just because you don't understand that Smith likes physical receivers doesn't mean it isn't true. You basing your view of Boyd on watching him operate in an offense with Higgins and Chase, so I guess your latest errors is somewhat understandable. I'm not saying the guy is a star, but a reliable veteran is exactly the type of complimentary player they need for Pickens.

The approach you just described for yourself regarding Harris is trolling, making arguments you don't believe in just to be difficult. Given your lack of rhetorical skill, I shouldn't be surprised.

You do realize that for all of your fawning over Warren, he was unable to unseat Harris as the starting running back last season, right? You also still have no argument for what we saw in the rain in Baltimore. Warren showed us he can't handle poor weather. Harris showed us he can thrive in it.

2. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I’m not the one living in fiction. Just because the facts and the truth don’t match up with your distorted views doesn’t make them fictional. I never once said Smith doesn’t like physical receivers. I am quite aware he likes physical receivers, quite frankly it was one of the reasons why I was happy to see DJ go because I knew he would not be a fit in this offense. But again let me educate you. Smith, Tomlin, Khan all desire that physical receiver to be playing on the perimeter. Boyd can’t play the perimeter so what exactly are signing when you sign the guy. Others on here have said the same thing. He is a number three. We already have that slot filled. But since your so smart you tell me who has Khan not signed that was available in Free Agency at WR? From my perspective he has turned over every rock. They wanted Williams and he signed with the Jets before we could even get him here for a visit. So not sure who you wanted him to sign that was going to make a big difference on the roster over what we already currently have.

I said regarding Harris I can see it both ways but when debating somebody as rigid and ridiculous as you it makes one want to take the opposing view. You are so far up your own a*& you can’t even see your own hypocrisy. You use one single game to judge Warren and Harris on to the exclusion of all of the other games previously in the year and you draw your whole argument around that one game to defend why you think Harris is better than Warren. If you don’t see the hypocrisy in that then your just not a very logical person. I find it comical that your talking about Warren not being good enough to unseat Harris and yet here we are with the Steelers not willing to commit to another year with Najee on a relatively cheap 5th year option (according to you) and it looks like that money is more than likely going to Warren. If you can’t read through the tea leaves I will explain it to you. It means they have more faith in Warren than they do Najee.

But you won’t listen you will just repeat yourself to hear yourself talk and have the last word. By the way if your so convinced we should have signed Boyd why don’t you start a thread and ask everyone should we have signed Boyd and could he play on the perimeter? Then ask everyone do you think the Steelers were looking for a slot player or a perimeter player at WR in FA? I think you will find out that your wrong on this one.

3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    One game in the rain. One. That's your argument?

And pray tell why didn't they give Harris the 5th year option?

And you really think that Warren is just a 3rd down back?

4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016

I posted my theory of why Khan hasn't signed a veteran receiver. He is too busy bargain hunting, trying to make every deal a huge win instead of taking the sort of solid acquisitions that most teams have. That theory also applies to the Harris situation. You assume it is about committing to Warren when it might just be Khan thinking he can get Harris to re-sign cheaply or find a bargain replacement.

There is no hypocrisy in my position on Harris. That is a false statement on your part. So is your claim that I am only writing about one game. That one game is part of my argument because it so perfectly showcased why Harris is the feature back over Warren. It is also evidence that you can't argue. You have proven that by the way you avoid it.

You are making two false assumptions regarding Boyd. One is that he can't play outside just because the Bengals moved him there when they got Higgins and Chase. The other is that the Steelers don't need a slot receiver, too. Right now, the Steelers have one proven receiver. Pickens. That's it.

5. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Good Morning Sunshine. Thats your new nickname.We just have to agree to disagree on this one. Only time will tell who was right. I will say Khans moves are certainly more risky but honestly I welcome it instead of the same old safe boring moves that got us a bunch of mediocre seasons with non losing records.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Warren is more than a third-down back, but I do question the idea of making him the featured back. That one game was a perfect illustration of one of Harris's primary advantages over Warren, which is ball security. That game doesn't have you concerned that Warren can't handle poor conditions? Be honest.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Good morning, Rain. That's your new nickname. It's an ironic one based on the subject you don't want to talk about.

8. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    What subject is that? Were disputing two (Najee and WR’s).

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The subject is what we saw of how Harris and Warren handle playing in poor weather conditions, specifically in the rain. (So much for agreeing to disagree. lol)

10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

don't waste your breath, CK.

11. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I showed your hypocrisy on that one already. Your just reaching now in an effort to have the last word.

12. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

Jaylen Warren fumbling often isn't some fictional tale. Jaylen Warren has had some fumbling issues his entire career. He had fumbling issues in college and has fumbled from the time he came to the team during rookie camp. It's a real issue and something that is a legit concern if you want to hand him the rock a couple hundred more times a year in a cold northeast city with bad weather that plays in an outdoor stadium.

www.steelersnow.com/jaylens-baby-how-the-steelers-want-to-fix-jaylen-warrens-fumbles/

I sincerely hope he can conquer his issues, but until he shows he can carry a huge workload and not fumble at a high clip it is a very real concern.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, you didn't do that at all. What you did was make a false claim that I was basing my entire argument on one game. I have made other points beyond that one game. That one game simply showed us an aspect of the issue that you have no answer for, specifically the very real concerns that Warren can't play in poor weather conditions.

Repeating your false statements does not make them true.

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    With 226 carries Warren has fumbled 5 times.
    With 834 carries Najee has fumbled 5 times. You do the math.
    Some love averages.....that would average about 18 fumbles in the same amount of carries as Najee had.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Sunshine why are you so enamored with a rainy game. Is it because when you mix rain and you, you get a rainbow? Everybody debunked your weak explanations for why Najee should be retained. Wether it is his running for a thousand yards (over a 17 game season) etc. Like I said I think there is more to it than just the contract dollars. If Najee goes and Warren strays I don’t think Warren will be the sole RB. I think it would still be a rb by committee. Lets see how this plays out.

16. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

i did not research - is that fumbles or turnovers?

• Like Like x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Fumbles. I don't look look at if someone else jumped on the ball, and saved it ....not for either of them.
    Example: If I fumble the ball 20 times, and my teammates save all of them.....doesn't take away I have a fumbling problem.

18. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

i agree - I am just wondering if this is actually putting the ball on the ground or a turnover stat?

putting the ball on the ground is a bigger problem.

but sure - this is a concern, putting the ball on the ground, always.

I'd add that Najee is slow (er) and Warren may actually FALL ON / recover more of his own fumbled balls :cool:

So - turnovers is WORSE.

i just peeked......
    5 and 3 for Harris
    5 and 2 for Warren

• Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Thank you. I noticed that, too, but I had been too lazy to do the math.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Fumble recoveries are so random that I'm not sure the speed of the player matters that much. The issue is failing to protect the ball in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Ho
    How much do you think they'd have to give up for Metcalf?

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Didn’t most of those fumbles come in that one game?

Given how much Tomlin hates RBs that turn the ball over I’m thinking this is pretty much a non issue. Kind of like how fans exaggerated DJ’s drops.

• Like Like x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No 2 came from that game..., and nothing is exaggerated. Those are the numbers. Yes DJs drops have been exaggerated.

• Informative Informative x 1
  24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    kahn did have a plan. it was the need to get this team faster.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...S&cvid=6405e294a2d8408ba2a3bd59861b3bd2&ei=34

nice read. explains some about the WR spot too. if teams don't respect the deep speed they will pay. keeps them out of the box for the ground and pound too. looks like a nice plan even though most don't like the receivers brought in but one thing is clear, they can run.

it's almost like miami, yes they have a good run game but they have to respect hill's speed too. if you throw several hill's out on the field, it will make it much harder to cover and so will it be to stop the run. seems like a pretty good plan to me. defensively it sounds like we have finally added some speed to the middle of the field and both sides of the defense. :cool:

Last edited: May 9, 2024
  25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I understand the concern. We will have to see what transpires this upcoming season. But its one game. Do they think Warren can be the feature back in 2025? IDK. But he seems to be getting more time for sure. He is a violent runner and needs to learn patience. But I believe that Harris benefited with the split time with Warren and visa versa. Harris wants the big payday and I feel the Steelers won't be in play.

They will draft a running back in 2025 in the later rounds.

The rumor is that Harris didn't want the 5th year option to head into FA in 2025. And if true the Steelers obliged.

Still no iron clad reason from the front office why they rejected the option.

Last edited: May 9, 2024
    • Like Like x 1