1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Najee’s 5th will cost 7 million

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 24, 2024.

1. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    If thats all that it is I would hope Tomlin would have thicker skin than that. I think Najee was trying to be tactful about the whole thing. You wonder if all the attention Warren has gotten and the success he has had has bothered Najee? The national media and all the analysts love Warren. Just from a human nature perspective you wonder if it gets to Najee and it comes out sometimes and we as fans just aren’t privy to that stuff. Its conjecture but perhaps the FO and Tomlin see a storm brewing in the future there and they see the two RB’s being on the roster long term as conflicting and not good for the team. So much goes on behind the scenes that drive these decisions.

2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Right now I see the Giants as the #1 trade partner for Najee Harris. I could see a trade with the Giants for Darius Slayton. Both players are on the final year of their contract and may be wanting to get out of town.

I still find it hard to believe that Arthur Smith did not want to pick up Harris's option for his offense.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Tomlin does run a loose ship. If he can't handle hearing that criticism by now, he has an incredibly thin skin.

To me, the key was that Harris did play the good soldier regarding the C. I haven't seen any evidence that he even cares about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    T
    This is what I wondered, if Najee told the Steelers to decline his 5th year option as he will not play under it. I am assuming Najee is going to want a lot more than $6 million next year

I don't think this has anything to do with not wanting to play for the Steelers next year, and everything to do with Najee wanting to play for $10+ million per year.

Last edited: May 9, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That's an interesting take. Najee is 26, will be 27 as a FA next year. A year may not seem like much, but realistically he has one shot at a big contract, and RB's are not commanding the biggest bucks around. If he has a good year he can explore the market and likely get more than that one year option and get a bigger pay out over a 4 year deal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
  8. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Or it could be this.https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...o-decline-fifth-year-option-jaylen-warren-nfl

Maybe Najee wants out and wants to get paid sooner. I had heard a rumor he wanted to play closer to the west coast. Honestly at of everything this one makes the most sense. Najee already complained that RB’s were under valued in the league. If his mindset is on the money and not staying with the Steelers long term then why not get the long contact a year earlier? The goal is tollways get to that second contract and for RB’s especially. It bothers me a little to see that from Najee because as a fan you always want a team first player but I completely understand his prospective. I am sure the drama the last few years, the bad offensive line play and QB play and scheme have certainly helped Najee to make this decision if the rumor is indeed true.

9. Utpittsburghfan

Utpittsburghfan Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2018

Don’t agree at all…his YPA was atrocious. He is a slow, north south runner.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

All righty then!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Went over to his twitter account and he puts it to some of the reporters for their BS stories.

Also found this clip that made me smile. Beast mode baby.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Now you are jumping in on poorly-sourced reports and rumors to try to back up your nonsense.

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not saying this story about Najee is true, but Chad Johnson said a little birdie told him Russell Wilson was going to the Steelers, and this was before free agency started.

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  16. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Apparently so. However the difference between you and me is I admit when I’m wrong.

17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i want Najee here for 2024 and beyond, if possible - at the right price and performance. he and jaylen are a great tandem. that is all I will say. if Najee jetted before 2024 season, that would create problems with RB depth for 2024

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Sometimes when people throw **** at the wall, it sticks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There you go spreading false information again. I have admitted to being wrong about things in the past.

At least you admitted that your argument is nonsense. We are making progress!

20. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Kind of like grasping at the Steelers not signing Boyd because of comments he made a couple years ago. It fits your narrative in floating stupid reasons on why the Steelers wouldn’t sign him instead of the real reason of determining his skill set was no longer commensurate of spending alot of money on. I said it in an earlier post ... The Steelers signed Ogunjobi whom was involved in the whole Garret vs. Rudolph fiasco. Him and Heyward almost got in a fight on the field. It’s ridiculous to suggest they wouldn’t sign him because of words etc.

21. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Nah I was only agreeing too being wrong about assuming Najee requested the Steelers not to offer the 5th year. I am not admitting I am wrong about the whole argument at all.

22. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    I like Najee and I like the Steelers. If a divorce is needed to make both sides happy then go for it. I’d rather it happens sooner where we can get something in return via a trade and have time to adjust

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Now try reading these threads again. I never suggested that the Steelers passed on Boyd due to comments he made in the past. Others brought that up and I wrote that it was nonsense. This is where you admit you were wrong again.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is already too late to adjust for this season. Trading him now would be a terrible decision for a team in win-now mode.

25. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    You alluded to it or that must have been another Formerscribe.