1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

All time Favorite Linebackers (ILB and Edge)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, May 3, 2024.

1. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    1. Jack Lambert
    2. Greg Lloyd
    3. TJ Watt
    4. Kendrel Bell
    5. James Harrison
    6. Joey Porter
    7. Levon Kirkland
    8. Chad Brown
    9. Kevin Greene
    10. James Farrior

* I know I left Ham off. This list isn’t best all time Steelers LB’s but my favorite.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    you are on a roll

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Harrison,Watt,Shazier,Porter and Woodley

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I tend to like Hall of Famers. I don't understand leaving him off unless you are just too young to have seen him play. (That's why I left Johnson and Hoak off my running backs list.)

We did this a while ago. I think we ended up separating inside linebackers and outside linebackers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I vaguely remember watching him play, but I was just a young kid at the time. Jack Lamberts play transcends beyond that time with so many highlights etc. as a result I saw alot more of him.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    If your including Kendrel Bell you have to include Merriweather before he was traded, Merriweather would probably be #9 and Bell #10, for me

Last edited: May 3, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Myron Pottios

• Like Like x 1
  9. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Kendrell Bell was one of my favorites. I hated seeing him on the bench, injured, or playing... injured. I would have loved to see him stay here and stay healthy for a decade, and win those two Super Bowls.

He hit Jaguars Center Jeff Smith in a way I didn't know was possible. I literally didn't think hits like that could happen on a blitz. It was like a safety crushing a defenseless receiver. And here he is, a somewhat undersized linebacker, crushing a stationary, prepared center that has 75 pounds on him and was ready to engage. Bell wasn't even going full speed. It still seems impossible.

Here's the link. Play is at 2:35

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    You could add Hardy Nickerson too. There simply aren’t enough slots.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I was thinking about him too. My favorite Steelers linebacker as a kid was Bill Saul the oldest of the Saul boys who grew up in my hometown of Butler. Saul was a tough middle linebacker and worked in the coal mines in the off season before the players salaries went through the roof.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I remember Pottios from when I was a kid. He had quite a good career. He's in his 80s now.

• Like Like x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I remember the play like it was yesterday. Hell I felt bad for the center....because how many times that play was shown that game, and that week. LoL. I was like....dude has a family.

14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    1. Jack Lambert
    2. TJ Watt
    3. Greg Lloyd
    4. James Harrison
    5. Joey Porter
    6. Jack Ham
    7. Kevin Greene
    8. Levon Kirkland
    9. Jason Gildon
    10. James Farrior

• Like Like x 1
  15. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    This list is gonna be loaded !!!!

1. Jack Lambert
    2. Jack Ham
    3. TJ Watt
    4. James Harrison
    5. Mike Merryweather
    6. Levon Kirkland
    7. David Little
    8 Joey Porter Sr
    9. Andy Russell
    10. Kevin Greene

Last edited: May 5, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    One name I haven't seen listed yet is Dirt Winston. He could light a ball carrier up and enjoyed every moment up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I never actually tried this before. It was fun. For this, I don't feel like including anyone I didn't see play. Sorry old-timers.

1. Levon Kirkland - A little "before my time" in that I was old enough to watch, but not every week, so I only saw him a few times per year. This combination of size, speed, and grace shouldn't exist. So much fun.
    2. Kendrell Bell - I will always have a soft spot for him. I thought he was going to be an all-time great. It was painful seeing him get derailed.
    3. Lawrence Timmons - I always root for the guys that fans hate on who don't deserve it. He was so much better than people gave him credit for.
    4. James Harrison - I don't love him as a person, and that knocks him down the list. But he's the best I've seen. Watching him play was something special.
    5. James Farrior - I don't have that much to say about Farrior. He was just great. Solid. Likable. Leader. I don't have any special connection to him, but how do you not like him?
    6. TJ Watt - He's a little "after my time", because I don't watch much anymore, but he's pretty good.
    7. Jason Gildon - When I started watching he was the young up-and-comer. It was great watching his career unfold.
    8. LaMarr Woodley - Kind of a joke when it comes to conditioning (the anti-Harrison?), but boy did we have a few magical years.
    9. Clark Haggans - It's pretty nuts that Haggans made this list, since I was usually clamoring to replace him. But he always outperformed my expectations.
    10. Greg Lloyd - I didn't get to see much of him, I just remember what a terror he was. That hit on Brett Favre alone, wow lol.

And an honorable mention to John Fiala. I don't know why I always liked seeing him out there, but I did. Maybe it was the way he ran. Or because he was a special teams guy, watching him play defense was like seeing a little brother hanging with the older kids.

Notable absences:
    • Ryan Shazier, who would be on here if he'd been around longer. I was really enjoying watching him play.
    • Joey Porter, who I never liked.

Last edited: May 6, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You know when L. Woodley actually cared...before He got rich, and satisfied.....He was really good.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He also stepped up in the biggest moments. He had some huge games against the Ravens and was dominant in the playoffs for the 2008 Super Bowl champs.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Kendall Bell was a beast but unfortunately injuries piled up on him. On a far side note the guy narrating this segment sounds like he’s reading the little engine that could to a bunch of 3rd graders in a elementary school library.

21. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    2 sacks in each of his first 4 playoff games :eek: including the final play (except for the kneeldown) of SB 43. That's enough to make it on my list lol.

22. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    all the ones that won Superbowl's

• Like Like x 1
  23. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I came on here to say Merriweather.

Him and Kevin Greene ate probably my favourites

24. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    1. Ryan Shazier
    2. TJ Watt
    3. James Harrison
    4. James Farrior
    5. Peezy
    6. Lawrence Timmons
    7. Jason Gildon
    8. Levon Kirkland
    9. Greg Lloyd
    10. Bince

25. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    You can also tell what age group your in by not mentioning Jack Lambert our best Inside Linebacker of all all time. TJ Watt, James Harrison and Jack Ham best Outside linebackers.

• Agree Agree x 1