1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I can see drafting 2 o-lineman? Not 3.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Smokestacks23, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Smokestacks23

Smokestacks23 Member

Mar 18, 2024
    Are o line will be a huge upgrade from last year! But are secondary is not elite! I think we should of drafted another cornerback. There were still some good corners left. Just my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it's not just for this year but the future. i do believe arthur smiths system goes well with pat meyers. there will be a place for these guys to take over at some point. we have many young corners but what we really need is a vet i think still brought in to help these young guys. jackson is it right now. i do think they still make a move at this spot. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Smokestacks23

Smokestacks23 Member

Mar 18, 2024
    I really wanted t.j Tampa I think he would of been great for us. Ravens took him six picks later.will see what happens?

• Like Like x 1
  4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think they see darius rush or cory trice already being a TJ tampa. slot guys were needed more. beenie bishop and i just saw JPJ's couisin may be brought in for a workout. plus we drafted watt, so we have young. i kind of expect a vet free agent to be signed. :cool:

5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

It was pretty widely recognized that we had too many holes to cover everything in one draft...... pretty sure the defensive side of the ball gets addressed next draft...

PS: please learn the difference between are and our

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Smokestacks23

Smokestacks23 Member

Mar 18, 2024
    I'm here to give my opinion! Not win a Grammer contest!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Smokestacks23

Smokestacks23 Member

Mar 18, 2024
    So next year they will take care of the defense? Thanks for clearing that up for me!

8. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I agree with you but I think the Steelers went with BPA available on their board. The OG provides depth and it may enable us to let Daniels or at minimum Herbig walk next year. Were finally getting to point where we are building depth and towards the future. I understand we still have some holes but the team is vastly improved on paper at least after the last two drafts.

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There is a very good chance that Tampa won't even play corner in the NFL. He is slow for a corner, so he will probably end up at safety.

There were defensive backs I would have preferred over McCormick, but there were a few ahead of him on that list.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Khan said after the draft about picking McCormick in the 4th because Daniels and Herbig are both in the last year of their contracts.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    next year we could very well see 4 out of 5 good O-linemen on rookie deals. would help the QB situation for a signing. najee 5th year option. signing warren.
    free agency in general. future thinking.:cool:

12. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Or spelling for that matter

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  13. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    You do know we have like 99 million next year in cap space I believe.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    and zero qb's signed. we will need it. :cool:

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    As others have alluded to OP, the draft is not just about building for the now. It is about building for the future as well. Doing both exceptionally can greatly decrease the amount of holes a team has at certain spots for the future. Pittsburghs Offensive Line has been nothing short of a reclamation project since 2020. Kevin Dotson and Kendrick Green were played out of position (doubly so in Dotsons case), Dan Moore is simply not a starting Left Tackle (though him playing as many snaps as he has done is something note worthy), Chuks was a diaster and James Daniels has been the only consistent player out of the five.

Fast forward to today and it is a complete 180; a far superior Offensive Line group the team has had, on paper, since the 2010s group. Keywords here are *on paper*. Part of the reason is the new starting five. The biggest reason is the depth behind the starters; now one of the deepest in the entire League. This is due in part to the investments on the Offensive Line in back to back seasons; five Offensive Lineman taken in 14 picks. That is nearly 36% of the picks being put into the Lineman.

To conclude, Omar Khan and Andy Weidl both have made a point to heavily invest in the trenches... and this isnt by accident either. To win in todays NFL, whomever fields the best Offensive Lines and Front Sevens has a much better chance of success than those without. Pittsburgh has had the Front Seven figured out for years but let the Offensive Line atrophy into porous play. Not the case anymore.

Long story short?! Steelers Football is back!!

:herewego:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That or Punter, you just never know who will be available.

17. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I loved Dotson, it turns out he was not a bad pick, just out of place, he was good enough in another system to get a nice payday. Brought in Daniels and Cole as fairly inexpensive FA's, Daniels worked and will likely seek a deal that they may or may not choose to match, Herbig will be a FA as well, Seumalo iwill be 32 and has 2 years left. It's not sexy to fill the trench's, but with the QB situation still in flux after this season, having a line in place sure makes fitting that piece a bit easier.

• Like Like x 1