1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

official 2024 draft day thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Apr 25, 2024.

1. RipTydz

RipTydz Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    That was something i picked up on when Mims was drafted, Nick Saban on the one network was talking about him and mentioned that Mims took himself out of the championship game. Wasn't sure it was injury or conditioning and said there needs to be more consistency and didn't seem to be too keen on the Bengal's pick at 18. That other network analysts weren't too big on the pick either at 18 due to how raw he was.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    well with fields i can see a lot of those here as well. or fumbles. :cool:

3. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Guy has the most upside of all the OT’s but also the most downside. He could end up as another Bechton. Alot of these really big guys end up being injury prone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I was disappointed we didn’t draft one of the top CB’s but I understand why we drafted Fautanu. I really hope we can land a solid wr with a trade today (3rd or 4th rd pick) and draft one of the two centers and a CB. Its going to be tough, hopefully they can pull it off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Roster looks good. Let's hope C, WR, CB, DL are the 2,3,3,4 picks. Good value out there.

6. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    and they did not spend a 8th overall pick for the other QB....

• Like Like x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Trade Moore for a late round pick, he's not going to play RT, the young guys need to start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    When Rapoport does that crap saying something could happen, he knows who the pick is already, but he doesn't want to come out and spoil it.

9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah, Moore is such a Tomlin favorite that they drafted two tackles in the last two drafts to replace him :rolleyes:.

10. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    This is Khan the GM,not Tomlin....I don't think Khan was a happy man during the season last year when Jones was on the bench for like 2 months.....

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe Jones wasn't ready he was only a one year starter in college, newsflash: Khan doesn't dictate who plays :shrug:.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Won’t be paying them that much. Situation is vastly different. Really bad ownership in Atlanta.

Unless there is some medical reason going on, this is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen. It’s not even a Jordan Love situation, Penix will be 28 if Kirk plays out his contract.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I heard that by 2026 it would be easier for Atlanta to move on from Cousins as far as dead money goes.

14. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022

Atlanta has a "Tomlin" problem at both HC and GM. Apparently they have two guys fairly clueless about their own team, how the cap works and how to judge talent.
    They have more holes (mostly on D) than Steelers do, they had NO LUXURY to pick a very old college QB that will either site for 2-3 years or he'll play and they'll have a massive cap hit next couple of years for the top backup in the NFL in Cousins.

They could have SORELY used the top DE, DT or CB. Penix didn't move the needle the next couple of seasons, even if he's fairly good and Cousins gets hurt, he wont' be an improvement over Cousins, so sideways is best case scenario.

At least the Steelers have Khan and Weidl to override Tomlin, AND they picked for one of th several need/holes in the roster. Can you imagine wasting a top 10 pick like that? Arthur Blank should be livid, but maybe his age has him losing some of his many marbles?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Michael E

Mar 2, 2022
    The cap hit will be MASSIVE (dead money), so if Penix is starting 3 seasons from now, the Falcons will be crippled to improve via FA...and as the current players age they'll have MORE holes each of the next three eyars. So they'll be Penix and a bunch of junior varsity surrounding cast. They have a good OL right now, won't be good in 3 seasosn when a few leave via FA when Falcons can't afford them. London or Pitts or both will be gone. I just don't get this, it doesn't work out well in any fashion UNLESS Penix becomes an all-pro (a chance, but he couldn't dominate in college until he was 23+ years old...that is a BAD sign).

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  16. Michael E

Mar 2, 2022
    The reasonin by GM Fotenot is they didn't want any furthe QB issues like the past two years. They had the same problem as we did, absolutely awful QB play and poor OC plans and usage of talent available.

I vote Khan handled it 99% better to Fotenot's 1%. We got two viable (should get average results at the least) QBs on the cheap with little future cap risk (can start over if needed), while the Falcons blew up their cap at some point in the next 3 years AND wasted a top 10 draft pick. I'd argue that Cousins is just marginally better than our QBs and we have NO idea if their OC will work well with Cousins, London, Pitts and Robinson. I love the talent the Falcons have on offense, but wasting that top 10 pick and NOT getting a defensive stud (had the pick of ALL the DT, DE, CB in the entire draft). They should have traded BACK, gained another day 2 pick and still could have nabbed the top DE, DT or CB. Sad.

I gotta go find an active Falcons fans message board, can't be a pretty site this morning. LOL. Make me feel much better about my Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Michael E

Mar 2, 2022
    6'8" with injury history...pass. I will say though, he could be worth it on his rookie contract. I would NOT want to put a lot of money extending him at that size, unless he proved durable and misses less than 20% of snaps over his rookie deal.

18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I assume that is the idea, that they gave Cousins that money to get him to play there for two years, then they move on with Penix.

19. Michael E

Mar 2, 2022
    and they did not WASTE a 8th overall pick for the other QB....

fixed it for ya. ;^)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Michael E

Mar 2, 2022
    Trade Moore for a ham sandwich, just get him off the team if he's bad AND can't eve be a swing OT. No room for that crap on this roster. Find a UDFA OT to be swing OT and last OL on depth chart on minimum deal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Michael E

Mar 2, 2022
    No, but he has a say who is the HC. Tomlin had better get in line or he's toast.

22. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
  23. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I wonder if the Falcons asked Cousins to send a congratulatory text to Penix?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
  25. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    If Cousins plays 3 years, his cap hit if he is cut in 2027 is only $12.5 million, and in 2028 is 0. Yeah, if they cut him after two years you're in "Russell Wilson territory", but after 3 years his cap hit is minimal if he's cut.