1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

OL Troy Fautanu

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Apr 25, 2024.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I to like the pick but I disagree about them not trading up to grab either JPJ or Frazier.

They are not trading Muth. He should be able to flourish in Smith's system.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I don't know that it is cut and dry yet.
    But I do agree, that is probably the plans, at least that is what I hope.
    It looks like we can grab our Center with 2 good ones on the board still.
    I am pretty sure Power-Johnson will go first (We'd probably have use our 2nd, or maybe use that to grab one of those WR's and trade back into the 2nd)
    Or Frazier may drop to early 3rd... I'm not all that confident in that. It's a risk.

3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Trolls really don't rate a response. But here goes:
    Fautanu was rated higher than Mims on every single board out there. If you think "during any other year Mims would have been top 15", then any other year Fautanu would have been top 10. Mims has 8 starts in his career, and may have a slightly higher ceiling, but would have to be eased into the year. Fautanu is plug and play, and yes, he can play right tackle. He's a right tackle version of David DeCastro.
    You may not be a troll, but you are a Karen. Would you like to speak to the management?

• Like Like x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Wasn't high as some were and glad the (purple crows) took him

I mean the bungles :lolol:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    So we’re calling the Bungles the Purple Crows now? I’m confused.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. RipTydz

RipTydz Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    Bengals you mean. ;) I didn't really look into Fautanu to be honest because I thought he would be gone. I thought we'd reach for Mims at 20 because of his upside and traits. The board fell the way the board fell and maybe they wanted Mims because he projects as a great Right Tackle at that length/size/long arms but he was gone and we had the opportunity to select a another great left tackle that was higher rated, and now can keep Jones on the right side. Thats probably whey Tomlin during the media presser, when asked where Fautanu projects, he just went with a generic answer...Tackle.

7. Tanker65

Tanker65 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    I would also add that for the most part the Steelers are getting anywheres from a B to A+ and PFF which doesn't do Letters gave it an above average on the pick not C+

As for Mims the grade i see is lower because he is a project and some are not even sure he is a Day 1 starter and more for 2025.

8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    My bad the bungles :lolol:

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

The team isnt gonna have much of a choice.

Only two starting caliber ones remaining for Day two. Technically three if accounting for Sedrick Van Pran but who knows?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Getting back to Mr. Fautanu, the reason I didnt have him among my three is due to the fact that I was for sure that New Orleans or even Cincinnati would have taken him. However, given the fact that neither showed much interest (more so in NOs case in the form of Taliese Fuaga), it seemed inevitable that the Steelers would nab him. Cannot believe he fell though.

Had him ranked as my second best OT in the class; Joe Alt not being moved. For me, Joe Alt vs Troy Fautanu will now come down to what teams value in an OT Prospect; Size vs Length. Joe's arms are shorter than Fautanus; 34.5 vs 34.25 but such differences are negligable. Alt possesses a superior size profile but being 6'8 does have its disadvantages. Troy being lower to the ground, with the reach he possesses, gives his an edge as his leverage is much greater; him being moved being much more difficult to do.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I personally think Van Pran is a day one “OK” starter with average center upside. That’s decent value in the 3rd.

I do have a bit of a concern with him moving laterally in an outside zone run. He’s not a great athlete. For me Frazier is much better suited for that, and worth using our 4th round pick to move up for. Maybe our second 3rd rounder if necessary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    My thoughts exactly. My not very bold take is that Broderick is our Right Tackle now. I know what Omar said. But forget what they say and watch what they do.

Amarius Mims was taken by Cincy. Anybody really think a deal was gonna get done in a move up?

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

If that is what it takes.... so be it.

Team desperately needs one.. in the worst way. Frazier has likely been a Steelers target anyhow. Dude loves football and competes his ass off. Add in his wrestling background, something Andy Weidl covets, and you have a fine Center.

Major reason I bring up Andy is that he has been far more influential towards this rebuild than others are willing to admit. Hope to see him at the podium today and hope to hear from him.

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I like the Fautanu pick if:

1. He can play RT as effectively as LT, or
    2. Jones is cool staying on the right, and having Fautanu at LT doesn’t spur unnecessary stress, or
    3. The pundits saying that Fautanu’s best position is center are correct, and we do that.

If none of those 3 things are true, then I’m not a fan of the pick. I think chances are good that at least one of those scenarios pans out well.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Day 1 starter.

Nuff said.

HUGE need filled.

I know some here say there is no such thing as a Day rookie starter. I say HOGWASH. it is 2024. Rookies have to start. Tomlin has been rookie averse, but that is because he is stubborn. Jones SHOULD have been starting day 1 last year.

I hope DAN MOORE never starts again. He may have to , due to an injury, but NEVER again, other than that!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

IF he can be a SOLID C (too), THEN we have even MORE options with our #2 pick. this draft is deep with OL and there are still good C's left.

17. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I think it's a good pick. Of course time will tell, but I think there's a lot of upside.

18. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Great pick imo. Fills a need and arguably the best player on the board.

What I don't like is the center situation. Are we in a “must draft” situation at center now? If that is the case we may end up reaching when theres better talent on the board. That is when mistakes happen. My hope is if we dont get a center we can find one in FA or via trade. Players get cut in camp. We do also need a WR and corner. Id argue we need a SS as well. We need D line and ILB depth as well. So I hope we draft the best available player vs drafting a position.

19. RipTydz

RipTydz Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    Some more insight on Fautanu in regards to what draft experts thought he was rated and where he would be drafted and how athletic he is:

Attached Files:

20. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    If we can trade up and its not too costly I would do it and grab Frazier! WR's can be found in later rounds we've done it countless times.

21. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Here's what I think people have gotten themselves into a panic thinking we ought to overdraft a center because Mason Cole was so bad - I get that because it's a natural reaction when to fill the most glaring hole first, but that just didn't make sense with the run on tackles and with tackle being clearly a more premier and sought after position.

8 tackles went in the first 29 picks and 1 center. That says it all.

If we had taken Barton we'd have been moving up try and grab Tyler Guyton rather than a having a chance at 2-4 more centers. I'd have have Fautanu salted away now. Last year we were able to get our two top guys because we basically had 2 1st rounders, we did not have that this year - it's just the way it is.

I think they had used somewhat limited resources this year wisely so far.

You want to see bad use of draft capital? look at ATL with Penix and Denver panicking to overdraft Bo Nix.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    good in pass protection but maybe his best attribute is being on the move for these screens to warren and possibly patterson. both do well running them and troy does well getting out to block them. i like these island boys. he and seumalo will do well here. i'm looking for a mobile center as well. we will have one. remember it's not just about this year. nice build for the future as well. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I don’t want to see Muth traded either but there are some valid points to why they would.

1. Last year of his contract if your not going to resign then get something for him.
    2. Wilson doesn’t throw to the TE. He will be underutilized in this offense.
    3. Poor fit for the offense as Smith desires TE’s who are good blockers. Muth is not a good blocker.

With that being said I would rather see us trade Dan Moore and or Demarvin Leal and package them with a draft pick to move up in the second and get JPJ or Frazier or get a WR.

24. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    A real fan would have edited, put in Bengirls for the flying rats, and the “WTF”Ed everyone who responded

25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Dan Moore beat him out, but jones should have started anyway. :facepalm: