1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on the draft rd 1....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Apr 26, 2024.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    1. Never thought I would see 6 qb's drafted in the 1st 12 picks

2. Speaking of qb's, Atlanta reached quite a bit

3. Shocked that the 1st cb came off the board at 21

4. Even more shocked at how offense dominated the 1st rd

5. Thank you for your service Dan Moore, but you are now a backup swing tackle

6. With the rumors of Pitt trying to move up for Quinyon Mitchell, it was a bit of a surprise to see us pass on him at 20

7. I see a run on cb's in the 2nd, which should push either Powers Johnson or Frazier to us at 51

8. Don't be surprised if we make some moves tomorrow

9. Everyone and their mother knew the chiefs were snatching Worthy

10. Carolina made a great move getting the last pick of the 1st and then dropped the ball with their pick

11. There was no world within the multiverse in which a tackle that never gave up a collegiate sack would last past 15.... Fuaga was always a pipe dream

• Like Like x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Looking forward to 8 personally. Team does need a Center but how high is the team willing to go. Hell, what about WR?!.... assuming any are there for that position is being gobbled up left and right.

Could someone like Cooper DeJean be the wildcard?! I seriously doubt it personally but one never knows with the draft. He was a Top 12 Prospect for me and, for whatever reason.... didn't even get consideration.

3. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    1. I bet there are quite a few 'first round picks' that are right now thinking....WTH? I am going to the second round?

4. Might the new hip drop tackle have anything to do with it? That rule change is going to put running offenses into a much happier place. Support the run with some good blockers and you will likely see a lot more yards by RBs because of penalties on the tackle or a lessened ability to bring down a beastly RB. Strong physical running backs (like Najee) are going to benefit from that rule change.

4. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    My knee jerk first thought:

The huge focus on offense in the first round this year speaks volumes as to how irrelevant defense has become.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Steelers had TF rated high on their board, we have to trust the scouting department and evaluators.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Yep, teams know that the NFL is castrasting the ability to defend anything so why invest in it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Or that there wasn't that many first round talented defensive players as we thought?

8. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    A) No one was left in the Green Room last night. Last person out was Darius Robinson at #27.

B) Kirk Cousins is going WTF? Spending $120 million on him and drafting Penix in the first round.

C) SF grabbing a WR? But they're really, definitely not trading Aiyuk.

D) Rating before the draft- Fautanu- NFL.com- 16. ESPN.com- 15. Walter- 16. PFF- 15. We didn't reach. None of them had Mims or Barton rated higher. The only CB rated higher was Cooper DeJean on PFF, and no one even mentioned him as a possible pick.

E) Lots of talent on the table today. Only drawback is we don't have Penix and Nix in the early second round to drive players down to us. Maybe Rattler? Only teams that desperate for a QB in 2 are probably the Raiders and Saints.

• Like Like x 3
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    would the steelers take a guy like blake corum somewhere on day 2? i know we are fairly loaded at RB for now but ........ year 4 for najee, year 3 for warren and have to sign him after this one. corderell is getting up there now as a RB. most RB's start to decline after a while. smith uses them heavily.
    :cool:

10. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    The next 2 times the Steelers are mentioned better be with Center or WR or CB.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

ohhhh yes - C for sure, UNLESS the Wizard of Khan is still up to tricks for a BIG NAME WR.

We can get a (starting) C in Rd. 3 with maneuvering and draft capital, I think (?)

• Like Like x 1
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    True. And yet we are still living in the past offensively. They want to rely on the defense but lets look at the lack of playoff success from said defense for years now.

Hoping that Smith can have a balanced attack. Run first mentality will only get you so far in todays high flying NFL.

13. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    If he is working that trade, which is somewhat supported by the 49ers pick.... then so be it, it could be a good one.
    That trade will come at a cost too - so my only advice is; don't screw up the 2025 draft.
    I think Frazier could drop into the 3rd... and there's another, name is slipping me just now, so it is possible.
    So, you can grab a top CB and maybe even trade back into the 2nd /early 3rd to get more help.
    Lot of chitter chatter this morning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. RipTydz

RipTydz Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    We need a ball control offense and that starts with a strong run game. Keeps the chains moving, ball out of those high flying offenses hands, wears down the D, and gives our defense a breather instead of those 3 and outs. But a balanced attack for sure.

15. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I also echo the sentiment that Kirk Cousins wins the 'WTF" award.
    The Falcons pretty much suck at everything.
    Cousins screwed himself by just looking at the pile of money and not the franchise as a whole.

16. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Yet We Do?!?!?!?

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Not even a knee jerk anymore. How about the truth. Example?!

Both Raheem Morris and Antonio Pierce, two defensive minded coaches, nabbing the likes of Micheal Penix Jr and Brock Bowers should be very telling. Hell, dont discount the Patriots potentially making a play for Brandoj Aiyuk either for the Pats have both the Draft Capital and Cap Space to make that happen.

• Like Like x 2
  18. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    5. Thank goodness, it's about time.

19. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I don't think you can call the contact he got as having screwed himself. For that money, you can put up with a lot of crap. At the end of the day, you are at for life with generational level wealth.

20. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I think you missed the point.
    Cousins looked at the contract, or other words a dump truck full of money. - In other words, he went for money not quality.
    He signed with a team, that more often than not, screws itself.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I understand what you're saying. He gave up the chance at a championship for a bunch of money. But you have to look at it from his possible point of view. What is more important, your name on a trophy and a ring, or enough money to set your family up for life and several generations to follow? He took what is going to be the path that sets his family up forever.

It's the same thing for a lot of players who refuse to structure contracts to benefit the team a few years into that contract, or things like that. This is a business. It's a business for the players and the owners. I don't doubt that the vast majority of NFL players would love to win the super bowl, but if there was no monetary incentive, you'd have a weekend pickup match instead. These guys are there to make money first and foremost in my opinion.

22. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Well you can’t say the guy wasn’t rated high on their board. They literally passed up all the CB’s a top tier WR and the best Center to draft this guy. I did not want a tackle I know we needed one but I wanted Barton. With that being said I think he is the fourth best Tackle. I would rate Alt, Latham and Fashanu ahead of him. I think he is better than Fuagunu or whatever his name is. I think he is also better than Mims right now but Mims has the potential to be the best tackle out of all of them. Mims went to the perfect situation where he can sit and learn and develop. I think it would have been a big risk for the Steelers to take him. He has a ton of boom or bust to him. The thing with Fautanu is if he doesn’t work out at OT we can always move him inside. As a result I see a high floor for this guy at minimum as an OL in general.

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If Khan drafts Corum on day 2 he should be fired.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Cousins has already made over $280 million. At some point, it stops being about taking care of your family and it is just a player using money as a way to keep score. I was great because I made all this money.

25. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    WEll you can't win any games if you don't stop the other teams offense at least once, so there is still reasons. The need for creative and unpredictable DCs is greater than ever. We don't have one of those sadly. CAn't hardle tackle anyone legally, but you can get pressure, get interceptions and cause fumbles. Have to have the QB guessing where the D players will end up, need a chaotic defensive system to really stop offenses now.