1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

OL Troy Fautanu

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Not sure why so many Debbie downers. All mocks had him going around the mid-teens. Solid pick. Now go out and get JPJ, Frazier or maybe even Van Pran and this OL will be solid

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    This has arthur Smith most wanted pick written all over it. Arthur knew our line needs to be set up for helping the run system like he coaches, and we did not have that.

Something that helps Arthur's system was way more important than a center.

I think we could see van pran-granger as our #2 pick.

I think we still would have went with Troy, even if mims was there.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    when does tomlin get the axe with this clown ?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  4. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I wish we had a cry baby emoji.

I get it, not liking the pick. But some of y'all straight up make me question if you kicked and screamed and threw your pillow at the 32" TV your mom bought for Christmas.

Troy is a solid player. He's just not what position majority thought we needed.
    - if not for his knees, he was a top ten pick. That's why he was projected top 15. Also his knees are not a concern asap. It's the question of how will they be in 6 years from now.

Furthermore, you really don't want to go center round one and tackle round 2.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 4
  5. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I like the pick. Preferred him over Mimms. And with the way this draft is shaping up, I don't think we need to trade up for a C, if we're going that route in the 2nd. If we trade up, it's for a CB or WR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Was protecting a left handed throwing QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is where Freirmuth comes in play if we have a trade partner?

8. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    About the same time your momma takes your pacifier away.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. jasper04

jasper04 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    The way the board broke you're right. At least we have a chance at a day one center. I really thought 2 centers were going in the 1st, still way too many teams still need a center to make me feel all warm and fuzzy!

I started to think I over rated the centers, but not by much, JD has Frazier ranked at 34 with JPJ ranked above him. For me it will be another night of biting my fingernails!! If you are going to pass up drafting the top 2 rated corners, then you have to do what ever it takes to land a day 1 starting C and finish the line re-build. making the line a then point of strength. It is what's needed more than a WR2, and will help the D out. just scared at how fast the top WRs came off the board and one of Frazier or JPJ making it to 51.

We trade up for a C and we lose a player. The cost is too much to trade up for a rookie WR using next years picks for who is left at WR.

At this point trade up in the 2nd for a starting C day one, don't really care witch one. Get it over with already and go get Ayuik using next years picks. The O would be set up very well with him, way better than a rookie WR, and GP's mental(immature) issues.

Spend rest of this years picks on highest SCB left, then BPA at DT, ILB, S, even a Double dip at CB or WR, as long as it's BPA. After trading up in 2nd, and SCB best case we still have our 4th and the two 6ths. Best way I can see us filling our bigger holes and making as many strengths as possible. This would for one slammer of an off season, and draft. One I have NEVER see in all my life

Get it DONE OMAR!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Scout Matt Williamson talking about him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    this is a legitimately awful comment. Troy is a legit talent and listed as a top-10 push by many. Love or hate the pick by position, the player is a good get for Pittsburgh.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    They got the OT I wanted.... well, not really.
    But what they got is a versatile OL-man.
    It is very possible they will move him to Center if they can not find one.

Jackson Powers Johnson and Zach Frazier are still on the board.

My issue is, they still need WR and CB with 6 picks left.
    With a 2nd and 2 3rds, it is possible.
    A 4th rounder is a good spot to get some OL depth.
    The 2 6ths, I'd package to move up. They won't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    He's going to play LT. Hes now the most technically gifted tackle we have.

Broderick may want to play left but he showed too well that he is a fine RT.

Center will be addressed some other way, and fine centers can be found of course at round 2 and even later.

They now have two high pedigree Tackles on rookie deals. This was a no brainer A+ type pick.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    The difference is Troy was projected by pretty much everyone as a top 15 player in the draft, Edmunds was not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. M2K

M2K Active Member

Mar 10, 2019
    In any other draft, Mims would have been a top 15 pick. Troy Fautanu is another "safe choice"... kind of like the Steelers having a 9-8 or 10-7 record... a choice of living in mediocrity. We need a people mover, monsters making up our OL... and the fact that Broderick could have been joined by Mims... would have helped with the development of Mims and the chemistry along the offensive line. So, instead of having two massive dominant run blockers and above average pass protectors along the offensive line for the next decade... simply by trading up a few spots, we end up with an undersized player, with less power, who isn't a road grader but is technically strong as our answer at LT. I read somewhere... someone commented about this being another Troy Edwards and Artie Burns pick... sounds about right. If Tomlin had any balls... he would have drafted the better physical talent, with a higher potential for dominance, and believed in his coaching staff to develop Mims. Instead he does nothing settling for a guy with a lower ceiling that will struggle moving people and stopping bigger, more powerful bull rushers. This is a C+ grade...when it could have been an A grade by moving up a few spots. I sure hope that pick at #119 that could have gotten us Mims... turns out to be something special.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. uncblue012

Aug 11, 2017
    The trolls (or dinguses) are out in full, I see.

17. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  18. M2K

M2K Active Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Yawn... try climbing out of your crib and countering my points. What are you, in 3rd grade?

19. uncblue012

Aug 11, 2017
    Wait a damn second, do you think the average third-grader is still in a crib?

Also, I'm in the fourth grade, thank you very much.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

I like this. I agree.
    I see him as versatile; he can play any spot.
    Most see him moving to the interior, with some saying Center.
    Preferrable with 2 good centers still on the board, they can wrangle 1.
    If they do that, then the knees you mention might be extended a little longer.

There's a lot of value in his ability to move around.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Are you sure that they didn't try to trade up? Who would you have traded up with? How much precious draft capital would you have given up to convince them to move down if they didn't want to? If they were only interested in going 9-8, why wouldn't they just stick with Dan Moore? They passed up on three other players that were ranked in the top 15 at positions of need, does that sound like desperation?

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Melon Head :lolol: He will not be our center.

He will be the right tackle moving Jones to the left where he belongs.

I believe he fell a bit with a knee concern which Troy said their is no issue.

Now to draft our center. Going to have to trade up which is fine with me. Might cost a 4 and a 6 and possibly a pick next year depending who they target.

• Like Like x 1
  23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    VERY HAPPY!

24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Kiper is a dolt

good centers are there.

this is the Timmons / Woodley draft alluded to weeks ago.....

25. RipTydz

RipTydz Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    You make it sound like the Steelers had a choice between Fautanu and Mims? Mims was off the board. At least the posters that wanted a #1 corner had a legit reason to be upset if they wanted to go that route. As you mentioned to another poster to counter your points...my 1st counter, and the biggest counter, is that it takes 2 to tango in a trade and depends on assets and draft capital you are willing to give up. Maybe no one wanted to trade back. 2nd counter...Fautanu was rated higher than Mims by every draft expert (Top 10 to 15 type of player). 3rd counter...you can see by the video breakdown someone posted that Fautanu is a skilled tactician and athletic. He may not have the length, but he has the long arms and looks to be a great pass blocker. He will also get stronger when he gets into the NFL weight room. We wanted a Right tackle to move Broderick Jones back to Left but we drafted maybe a better Left tackle than Jones as far as pass blocking goes and we can keep Jones on the Right. Jones seems to be a better run blocker and more of a mauler and did well there in that position when he came in. Both are nasty and want to exert their will on the opposing player and both are nimble and quick for the zone blocking scheme that Arthur Smith deploys. Day 1 starter.

• Like Like x 3