1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

official 2024 draft day thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m starting to think they like an in-house player for center. They had their pick of the litter there and didn’t pull the trigger. Don’t forget they still need a WR which I think will be pick 2. Then you are already into round three for a center.

2. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The high school flag football player sounded more articulate than Goodell has tonight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    ... and according to Tomlin... Troy Fautanu is a tackle.....

... soo... is Broderick Jones gonna be effed up like Kevin Dotson was...?!

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Or they could keep building up front. Maybe they trade up in the second round to get Frazier.

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Playing right tackle didn't seem to screw anything up for Jones in 2023.

7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Higher than Barton? Sure.

Higher than Arnold and Mitchell? Sorry. I'm just not buying it.

8. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    K, lets start taking those second round tackles.....

9. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    maybe with all those corners on the board the steelers may do some horse trading in round 2

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Didn’t realize they met with him so much.

• Like Like x 1
  11. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    In some rankings, yes, in some rankings, no. What matters is the Steelers' rankings.

12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Maybe, I doubt it though. Our in house guys are Anderson and Herbig. Neither would be upgrades over Mason Cole since both were Steelers last year and played behind Cole. Unless our plan is to re-sign Cole for cheaper?

We still need a WR, true. Are we going round 2 though? If we don’t we pretty much have to cave to Boyd’s contract demands or make a trade. We still need a C-WR-CB. We have 3 more picks tomorrow. Wouldn’t be shocked to see all 3 of those positions taken.

13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    God I hope not

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    Just a reminder for all of you who said all three top centers would be gone in the first round.....
    You were wrong.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They would clearly think one of them is an upgrade over Cole if that in fact is the plan.

I would rather see them trade for Sutton than bring Boyd in and then they could focus on center with pick two if they still want one.

16. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    They were determined to take a tackle. That's what they did.

He's a Steeler. So I am hoping it's a great pick. I just think there were better options. How often can you draft the top corner in the draft at 20?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    lol me either. I was just trying to find Blast’s idea of “in-house center”. I’m not certain we have a center on the roster, let alone one we are confident trotting out as a day 1 starter. Maybe Anderson can be a high level interior back up that is C capable… but man that would be a huge leap for him to be counted on as the starter this year.

18. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    well Barton is gone. not sure this was a good idea

19. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    I am okay with Fautanu. At LEAST they did take a fairly highly rated OL. I was afraid of Atlanta Falcons stupid (Penix, really?). I just hoped they'd take an OC, OT, CB...or maybe best DT. I didn't want a WR (draft is deep, they have WRs, they'll use two TEs alot) this early and no other position made sense.

Fautanu is highly regarded, just that we all have favorties. I am not at all unhappy. I just felt the tape on JPJ jumped out at me, but maybe his agility isn't quite up to snuff. I hope they have an OC in mind for round 2 or 3. CB and WR would be nice, but not quite as glaringly necessary. DT also would be welcome, but they can get by this year with what they have, just that the depth isn't of high quality.

I also hope this means Dan Moore is no longer a starter...for the love of all that is terribly toweled, move on. Swindled some team out of a fourth or fifth round pick!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    Should have a run on CBs pretty soon. Wiggins, DeJean, McKinstry still out there.

21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    ..... man.......

Just... man.....

I did have Troy rated as my number two OT in the class; above Mims. That said... him over Barton?!... man...

Hope I am wrong.

22. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    It took longer than normal to make the pick. I would have loved to here the discussion in the draft room

23. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    Sounds alot like Green. Agile, quick, former wrestler, blah blah blah. That said, he does seem to be a bit more powerful. If we end up with an OC that gets bulldozed into the QB every 3rd play, I am going to lose my mind. I'll keep trust in Khan/Weidl. They make the last five years of Colbert look like pre-schooler trying to work the draft and FA.

24. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    If they thought either of them were an upgrade over Cole, they would have played at some point last year. With all the blocking and snap issues Cole was having, it was pretty telling that we didn’t bench him bc we had no options at the position.

I like Spencer Anderson. He might be able to be counted on as an interior back up next year. It would be a HUGE step forward for him to be viewed as the next starter. We didn’t give any indication last season that he could be that guy. As for Herbig…. Again if we thought he was an upgrade over Cole he would’ve seen playing time at C. Cole was that bad. We’re closer to having 0 centers on the roster than we are a starting center.

I still think we’re fine if we want a C in round 2 (and expect it at this point). We overhyped the C’s on this board due to our need for a starting caliber guy… someone good will be available.

I am good with a trade for Sutton (3rd rounder?) and grab a C in the 2nd and a slot CB in the 3rd. I would feel pretty solid with the draft turning out like that.

25. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    No, he didn't. There was talk about his knee: “Washington OT Troy Fautanu’s knee was flagged. That one was described to me as the sort of issue that shouldn’t be a problem in the short term, but could wind up impacting his longevity in the pros." I've seen other comments like that. Apparently something with his ACL.

He had a lisfranc injury, too. Not serious, I guess, but I never like to hear about big guys and foot problems. Sounds like the Steelers are comfortable he's healthy so I'll trust them.

He's a hell of a big, mobile kid. Clearly talented. When you hear "he can play all 5 OL spots" it makes you wonder if that's because he doesn't excel at any of them. Jack of all trades, sorta thing. Would you even consider putting Broderick Jones at Center?

On the bright side, if he's healthy and actually is the 12-15th best player, our OL could be really good.

Barton to Tampa.

• Like Like x 1