1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers are in talks with the Broncos to trade up to No. 12...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Apr 23, 2024.

1. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    What a stupid idea this is. Hope its wrong. We NEED a Center and a WR. Tomlin thinks its 1970 and we are going to build the next steel curtain. No defense stops the best offenses now. Just make a few key stops and score yourself is way to win in NFL and idiots trading up for a dam corner. YUCK

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Please get a Center or OT in first round. CBs can be had later in the draft and free agency after the draft and before season starts.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Muth is a great trade asset. He has great catching ability and about as durable as fine Crystalware. Hurt ALWAYS. Get rid of him especially with new dude from ATL.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Other than last year he has been pretty healthy. My issue is he is a receiving tight end and in the new offense with Wilson throwing to him he is going to be underlined not to mention what we need him of the most is his blocking which is under par to say the least. If he isn’t gonna be a fit moving forward why not trade him now when you can get something instead of letting him walk next year.

5. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Fuaga, would love it!

6. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I think this is just a rumor or smokescreen the more I think about it. That way it pushes more OL down the draft board possibly? The latest rumor is the Steelers were trying to trade for pick 12 and Cortland Sutton. I just don’t know how you do that and still get a viable Center in the draft.

7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    And when they don't do this he will be sitting on a curb drinking MD 2020 from a paper bag...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  8. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    I won’t cheer or condemn any moves at this time. The draft will have to finish out and pre-TC FA/UDFA signings will have to happen.

It’s great to have draft favorites but they do not always fit. I would rather trade our first round pick for a proven guy over trading up for a draft pick. I’m not a fan of throwing capital at a rookie.

I am still a believer that Omar and Tomlin and their scouts know more about these things than I do. I’ll go along until they prove they do not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    They brought in the Kid from Penn State on a visit. He was very happy to be visiting anyone, as he only has a 50/50 chance at getting drafted this year.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Nourzad? He's seen as a 4th-6th rounder. I would take 50/50 odds in a second.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Anyone we draft may not be ready to start until halfway through the season....although I hear you.

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Actually it what You prefer. I tend to use this instead. It's like a guy owning 5 thousand dollar Guitars, and can't play, or a Guy that owns every piece of workout equipment, and they collect dust.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I actually think at least 2 of the top 5 CBs will be there without having to trade up.....So....Now if We are trading let's say .....Justin (Ifumble the ball all over the ) Fields for that pick....then I'm all for it. LoL

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    I have a hard time believing any "rumors" prior to the draft. Most are complete BS.. and the ones that turn out correct are probably just lucky guesses more often than not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Problem is he sat out there for trade a long time with no one willing to give up that much more for him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
  18. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I get that, and to a point don't disagree about it being a good problem to have. But I was looking more at the distribution of resources considering the holes the team currently has. Unless Trice and Rush take significant strides forward this year, they're definitely thin at corner. The same can be said of the WR room. They need to find a center and right guard. This is likely Heyward's last season, with no heir apparent behind him. And of course the quarterback situation is still a big question mark.

My point was more about the idea of trading up to select a second CB1 prospect considering the other issues. Before free agency I was leaning toward them taking a corner at 1.20 because of the depth at some of the other positions in the draft and with the idea they could land a quality FA center. After trading Johnson and cutting Cole while acquiring Jackson (who, while only a modest acquisition, is at least a stopgap at CB2) I moved back from that idea. Trading up to take one would just be too rich for their blood right now.

19. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I haven't seen anything indicating he's out for the 2024 season yet. Mostly it's been teams with any interest waiting to hear a report on his medicals. Kaboly recently speculated he could be in play with the Steelers in the event they aren't able to secure one of the top centers in the draft.

Personally I'd prefer they be able to concentrate on other needs in this draft, but they do need a competent center and relying on Williams being able to return and play a significant role is a risky proposition right now.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ask yourself this how come no teams are interested in Becton?

21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    It may have something to do with everyone hoping to get a RT in the draft that needs one. For the Steelers what would be the point of signing Becton now if Fuaga falls in your lap at 20?

I am assuming it is a money thing with him wanting $10 million. But, he is not worth that with his injury history, and the fact he did not look good last year playing LT.

Last year Chuks cost $13 million against the cap to play RT, I think Becton would be a great improvement and only cost $5 million per year.

22. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Ben was from a Group of 5. Just sayin’

23. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    The prioritization is main issue I was speaking to. There should be at least two of the top five CB prospects will be there at the 20th pick. I don't see the need to trade up in order to secure Mitchell, especially with the other needs they have.

My main point with the potential second contract dollars was that it could limit FA spending to cover other holes, which is all they're left with if they can't cover them through the draft (whether by trading them away to move up, or the picks not working out). Veterans on the whole are typically more expensive than those still on rookie contracts.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  24. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    and
    chasing it with
    Night Train and Cisco

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Oh yeah, I'm aware. I'm not trashing them, just pointing to the potential risks involved with the idea of moving up to take Mitchell versus taking the best available corner at 20 (if they're fixed on drafting CB in the first).

• Like Like x 1