1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Players you don't want the Steelers to draft?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Apr 21, 2024.

1. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
  3. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Once again wrs are dime a dozen, some just cant wrap their heads around this. Brady had 3 dwarfs and made them all pros. Ben made all his wrs look good too. Tho AB was great, but if he had KFP would he have been great?? Hmmm

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Agree totally with #6 and Wiggins, major weakness of JPJ as-of right now

• Like Like x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm of the same opinion. Over 90% of Wrs IMO are made by their Qbs. There are a few that are great no matter who they play with.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

The WR Market is getting crazy due in large part to the ever increasing benefits of the position via the NFL rules, the importance of Offenses having three Receivers deep and the best WR in the game either elevating or playing with some of the best QBs in the game. Remember that there are only so many truly great WRs to come around at a time; Justin Jefferson and Tyreek Hill being chief among them. JaMarr Chase also belongs in this category as well but playing with the likes of an elite QB and College Teammate in Joe Burrow doesn't hurt either.

As for this WR Draft, I am sure you have heard, through multiple national sources, that this is the deepest WR Class the Draft has seen in some time; 2014 even. Part of this is due to the evolution of how NFL Offenses have further incorporated multiple WR sets in the Offense; Cincinnati coincidentally being among the forefront of this with the likes of Chase, Higgins and Boyd. Another aspect is that the ever increasing demand of NFL Teams needing more than one very good to great WR or Receiving Threat to maximize their offensive output. Even a team like the Baltimore Ravens, a team known for heavily relying on running the football, had the likes of Mark Andrews, Odell Beckham Jr and Zay Flowers. Their numbers overall are not impressive as a whole; none of them cracking over 1000k yards. However, the sheer scale of weapons at Lamar's disposal in 2023 far exceeded anything he had in years prior. To make a long story short, having as many weapons as possible on the field is where the league has been and will continue to head for the foreseeable future. This all though comes with an asterisk; finding players that can fit your system.

The 2024 WR Draft Class is chalk to the brim of such players. What's more is that the types of WRs that the Steelers covet, great Route Runners who can create lots of YAC, are in plentiful supply. The biggest reason as to why I am fully against drafting a WR in Round One in 2024 is the value simply isn't worth the trade off. After the likes of Marvin Harrison Jr, Malik Nabers and Rome Odunze, all of whom are scheme transcendent, the rest of the class is more schematically limited but can still thrive in those roles. For example, Xaiver Worthy seems to be a good fit for an RPO, Play Action styled Offense... like Pittsburgh's. However, there in lies the issue; Worthy's current Route Tree is simply too simplistic for him to be allocated into such an Offense. Even if he does get drafted by the Steelers, he is the quintessential definition of a One Trick Pony; an absolute no no when drafting any position that high; WR or otherwise. Brian Thomas Jr's overall physical gifts and skills are definitely note worthy for certain. However, for Pittsburgh's Offense, this pairing would be among the worst. For one, Pittsburgh's Offense will be heavily run based; blocking being one of Thomas Jr's weak points both from a skill perspective and effort based as well. Moreover, for two, Brian Thomas Jr. is an outside WR; something Pittsburgh already has too much of currently thanks in part to Free Agency. Now, Quez Watkins, Van Jefferson and Denzel Mims all are not going to light the world on fire but all of them have outside WR experience. What the Steelers need is a slot based option as Calvin Austin the Third has yet to show that; how much of that being on both Pickett and Canada remaining to be seen. Sadly, the best option for such a role is Malik Nabers; someone Pittsburgh has close to zero shot of getting. Marvin Harrison and Rome Odunze are exceptions of course but Malik would have my undivided attention there.

In short?! Draft for BPA, not position.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Wiggins again has exceptional coverage ability; namely off coverage. His tackling though leaves a lot to be desired. While he has the speed, his length is also something to consider; very odd given his huge frame. A major point against him I forgot to point out is that the Steelers need Slot CB help in the worst way possible. Wiggins doesn't offer that at all. Oddly enough, Cooper DeJean does.

As I said though, will Teryl Austin get out of his own way for that to happen?! Minkah's health was sadly not well in 2023 but even before then, Teryl had him move everywhere. How about keeping him as the Deep Centerfielder instead; the role he was destined to be?! For Cooper, have him play Safety but be close to the action as much as possible. Cooper's skills will shine greatly there. Again though, this is what I'd do; not Austin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, but the rules are the rules, and right now they favor weapons in the passing game. That’s why they’re getting paid. That’s why they’re valued so much more highly than CBs.

9. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Well, okay. But are QBs the caliber of Brady or Ben a dime a dozen?

I don't deny the impact a QB can have on the effectiveness of a receiver. But I think there's something to be said for what a WR can add to a system with a QB that has some skill but falls short of the franchise tier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    What about Mims tell you he doesn't have the work ethic?

11. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    We're just making stuff up as we go along. Work with us here.

12. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    When he said he doesn’t think his lack of playtime is an issue for the NFL.

There are guys that are just naturally bigger, stronger, faster than most everyone for their whole life. They don’t have to work to be better at sports than their peers. Mims is one of those guys. His words are a redflag to me. I would rather he said something along the lines of putting in the work to be his best. The guys in the NFL have that talent plus the work ethic.

I don’t dislike Mims. I wish him well. I would draft him at 51. It’s just a risk/reward thing for me.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Who do I not want the Steelers to draft?

Caleb Williams

Steelers wouldn't have any draft picks until 2028.... they would all go to the Bears.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Mims, Wiggins, McKinstry basically anybody who is not Barton.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Valued, more important, and easier to replace are all different things.
    I would agree....if the rules are the same rules every year, but they aren't.....again this year the rules have been changed in favor of the offense. For "safety "....LoL.....while I watched a defensive player lay on the ground and be resuscitated because a Offensive player lowered his head, and made contact.....yet where are the new rules against the offense??? There are none....because they are trying to sell the offense....so of course the offense divas are getting the money. It the way of the world....it doesn't make them more important.

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed....If Your Qb is good....You will find Wrs in any round ....if not....You will be always looking for Wrs, and need the very special ones. So the trick to that is.....stop wasting picks , and money on Wrs, and use that to find real Qbs.

17. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Every great QB had a great WR or TE at some point in their career....Brady had Gronk and Moss in his career year in 2007,Mahomes has Kelce and had Hill,Manning had Harrison,Ben had AB and Ward before that,Montana had Rice,same for Young,Bradshaw had 2 HOF WR so even for the best QB,they need a top receiver to have a top offense....If this is not the case,your defense need to be elite like the chiefs were last year since the chiefs offense were average at best for the most part of the year with nothing at the wide receiver position

18. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    I would be happy with Wiggins or McKinstry at 20. I would prefer Barton or even Frazier. I would be very pleased with Latham.

19. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    No Qbs aren’t a dime a dozen

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Trafalgar

Sep 26, 2016

What does that have to do with work ethic? He was asked about his PT and that was his answer - and it was the same answer any prospect coming into the draft would have given to that question...

He didn't say he didn't need to work, no-one has called out his WE as far as I am aware, he's been hurt, and been behind some damn good lineman, so that's where his lack of PT comes from. There's no red flag in his words at all, you're just reading something that isn't there*

*edit i've been informed I have breached protocol and should change that to change to:

you're just making stuff up as you went along

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
  21. Trafalgar

Sep 26, 2016
    I do apologise, I didn't realise I had broken protocol. I will adjust.

22. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I am not a big of fan of Wiggins he is to slight. I feel like that is too early for Mckinstry.

23. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    I agree about Mims. Anybody that needs coached up is a high risk if you ask me because I'm losing faith in the Steeler coaching staff to coach up players.

24. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    I tried to phrase my response as how I see it. In answer to you question why I think what I do. Number of snaps and certain responses to questions are redflags for me. Maybe only me.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    Fair.