1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This Brandon Aiyuk chat is exhausting...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SC Gamecock, Apr 15, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Bills sent a 2024 sixth-round pick and a 2025 fifth-rounder to the Texans along with Diggs for a 2025 second-round pick. Aiyuk is younger, but in contract year, there is no way he should cost much more than Diggs in draft picks. That's why I don't think the trade will happen. The 49ers are Super Bowl contenders and they aren't going to get enough value for Aiyuk for it to be worth the hit to their team for 2024.

2. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If Aiyuk is going to be a pain in the ass, AND IF SF does not WANT TO pay him,then he will go for less. We have no idea what is going on inside the conversations and in Aiyuks head

you do all understand caps and monies and how that works?

they have McCaffrey to feed and Samuels. and their QB and more mature OLINE. oh, and a pretty talented TE

they can't pay everyone.....

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
  3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    If they could sign him for 15 million a year then yes try and do the deal, But I think 22 to 25 and up is more likely, and is going to happen one day, with him, Pickens, or another. We are going to have to pay on O soon, and if you have a WR worth anything he is going to get paid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If they can't get worthwhile value for him, it might be an option to just keep him for 2024 and let him walk, especially given that they are legitimate contenders for this season.

5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes and they’ll get a compensatory third for him anyway if he leaves in free agency next offseason so there is no point taking a lowball offer. I’m not sure what their salary cap situation is like but if they can hold him they probably should.

6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

they WILL get a worthwhile offer for him - from us, for a nice draft pick!

not a whole lot unlike the DJ dilemma that we faced.

7. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Think of it like this.....if we were all fortune tellers and knew with absolute certainty what kind of a receiver Aiyuk would be, where would we pick him in the draft? First round, second, later?

Well, SF knows what a talent he is. Aiyuk is not going to be let go by SF for anything less than a draft pick equal to his talent. He is a first round pick level guy imo. Or they will want something like a second and fourth..... It will be something along those lines. And after that, you still have to pay him. Can't give up that kind of draft capital for a 1 year deal.

Kahn is proving to be an above average talent for picking players and making deals. But I just can't see where we could get Aiyuk with the double whammy of draft picks and money it would cost to get him. It is a pipe dream imo. SF is close. They are not going to let one of their best weapons go.

8. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Keeping DJ would have been a better option, this is just way too expensive. No thanks. Draft LT, C, WR. Use the draft capital on players you can keep for cheap for 4-5 seasons.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Finances change the equation. Aiyuk is a free agent after this season and signing him beyond 2024 is going to be extremely expensive. That is where the talk comes from. He's not worth more than a second-round pick to the Steelers given that he is either gone after the 2024 season or very expensive. They might not even want to give up that much, so it doesn't make sense for the 49ers to move him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    The talk is the Steelers have been in talks over several veteran WRs. Aiyuk, Jefferson, Higgins, Boyd, maybe more. I feel like a move gets made but the Steelers are not going to overpay it seems. Looks like they have a price in mind and so far have not budged on that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

this I agree with. They want another TALENTED 'ready to go' WR opposite #14.

IF they get him at the right price.

12. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    This right here. I would add that the organization is playing a bit of possum here as well. Not showing their cards with respect to where the WRs is coming from either the draft or a veteran receiver. I don't think we see a move until closer to the draft. Theoretically, the price should go down somewhat for a veteran prior to the draft. The Steelers might wait though until after the draft so the team they are considering trading with shows their hand.

13. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Plus, Miami was banking on the Steelers draft pick being top-10 (maybe top-5), since Ben was out that season.
    Adding Minkah to the defense, along with Mason & Duck doing just enough on offense, resulted in them only getting the 18th pick.

That's a fraction of the draft value they were expecting. I don't think they would have even considered the trade if they thought that was likely.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The talk on 93.7 The Fan yesterday is that the Steelers might try and acquire Courtland Sutton from Denver. He is disgruntled and wants out of the Bronco organization. He caught 10 TD's from Wilson last year but would cost a 2nd round pick and a new contract. Probably around 85 million over 4 years.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

they want a solid veteran WR, that is clear.

16. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Too expensive, once the have to pay George too, and wait for the shenanigans that will surround that ordeal, do they want to have that much money tied up n two diva WRs? I think the Khan’s ready to spend some money on offense but w/o being stupid spending crazy.

17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

so, we have some money to pay.

cap is going up each year. not paying much at all on the OLINE.

D side is EXPENSIVE, but Cam comes off next year.

we don't pay PEANUTS for a QB.

SPEND THE $$$$!!!!

WIN WHILE WE ARE ALIVE!

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Pickens attitude might keep him from getting a second contract from the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    This has 1 major ASSUMPTION; that Brandon shows up and does not hold out for a new contract.

Brandon Aiyuk current market value is $24.9 million per year. Sportrac says his new team will give him a 4 yrs, $99,823,404
    Brandon Aiyuk Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

20. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Very unlikely. He is not going to sit out and leave $14m on the table.

He may hold out in the hope of an extension and good luck to him if he does, but it makes no sense to prolong it and miss games. Too much money at stake

21. MojoUW

MojoUW Member

Aug 16, 2023
    It is an eye popping number for sure. But after the Jefferson and pending Chase contracts reset the WR market and assuming Pickens hits the super star ceiling many see for him....get ready to meet or go over that number.

• Like Like x 1
  22. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I completely agree. I wish they would just stop. It's really just a pointless pursuit. The 49ers are not in a position where they need to sell. They have all the leverage. They are looking to win it all so they are more than happy to keep him and have a stacked roster to go all in. I'm sure they couldn't care less about compensation unless it's a king's ransom. They will gladly take the comp pick when he signs in free agency next year or cut cap to fit him in if proves vital to the team.

I just feel like it's beating a very dead horse and making us look so desperate that we will end up losing leverage in all trades because teams will feel they can push us for more compensation. We would benefit most from a veteran if we are serious about competing, but we need to look for a better leverage option (Sutton?).

23. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    are Steelers just messing around or will they sign Aiyuk.

24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Correct

25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

it takes 2 to tango. Seems that SF will not part with him for what we (are) will (ing) to offer.

that said - I continue to read we are burning up the phones with many teams asking about talented veteran WR's.

We will see in short order.