1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody else dumbfounded on the amount of holes we have?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Apr 20, 2024.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yes mac, UDFAs do sometimes turn into NFL starters, but the odds are really low. The only reason there are so many undrafted players in the league is that a hell of lot more undrafted players come into the league every year than drafted players. For every success story there are a dozen or more UDFAs who never play a regular season snap. Every team brings a lot of players into camp hoping that maybe 2 or 3 stick on the roster, and
    If they’re lucky 1 or 2 may have the potential to actually play NFL football in the regular season. The majority of true top NFL talent comes out of the draft, and really the first 3-4 rounds. It’s pretty clear to me that our front office is looking for a player with some pedigree and higher potential to pair with Jones. Maybe Cook gets to a starter level. It would be great if he did that with us, but I wouldn’t bet on it. I certainly think there are a lot of guys available as late as the 3rd round this draft that have a much higher chance of NFL success.

You are the undisputed champion for the undrafted player though mac. Nobody will ever challenge that. :hi:

• Like Like x 1
  2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Near the end of Ben's career we had the oldest average starting offense in the league. Last year we had the youngest.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Really now do that same exercise for Inside Linebacker.

4. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I understand why we got rid of Johnson. I just wish we had a better plan in place to replace him.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I absolutely LOVED last years draft and almost everything about free agency.

That being said, it’s almost like that year never existed and we have all the same exact positional holes to fill.

That is how depleted we were/are.

It’s shocking actually. And we still had 10 wins and made the playoffs? I drag Tomlin a lot and it seems appropriate, but there has to be some more truth to the teams success and this BS .500 or better record that I give credit for I guess.

But man I get so pissed when other fans from our base or others try to highlight that stat. Like, what does that trophy look like??? Why is sustained mediocrity is sport something anyone would applaud? Imagine some other team patting themselves on the back because they never finished last?

They are sooooo far down a list of accomplishments that they should barely be on a list with that title!

6. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Really I do the year we drafted Kevin Green and Dotson we had a ton of holes on the Oline going into the draft. It caused us to reach for Green and declare him a starter. So you are going to blame the holes at Center, RT, Ogunjobi and Heyward aging on Khan. Those were all players and moves made by Colbert. You can blame Khan on getting rid of DJ but that really has more to do with Tomlin and allowing the player to get to that point and thus having to trade him to preserve the locker room. We have made alot of bone headed moves in FA that reached of arrogance and desperation. We did it at Oline, ILB, CB recently. The arrogance part comes from Tomlin taking inferior players and somehow thinking he can coach them up and get more out of them. The Larry O extension was a bad move. I said it at the time. Its a bad contract for us. What I don’t get is we keep starting him when Benton is clearly the better player. If Heyward is fully healthy and can play at the level he did a couple years ago, I think you start Benton next to Heyward.

My concern is we still have major holes at CB and I feel like we are viewing Donte Jackson the same way we viewed other meddling FA’s in the past. “We can fix them because we are the Steelers and we have Mike Tomlin”. At this point we have to commit to finishing the buildout of the offensive line. If they still struggle then its on Meyer and he has to be replaced.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Good QB play is the perfect antidote to heal all ills. Thats why I believe we are going to focus heavily on the OL and WR so that we provide those guys with everything they need ... no excuses.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Its the position of having huge holes and drafting for need. Thats when you start reaching. It causes you to pass up players like Cooper DeJean, Brain Thomas or Payton Wilson which I am sure we are going to have to do to fill the line needs.

9. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Thats why I am not as high on drafting a tackle in the first as others are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    The steelers were so lucky last year...they won so many games even when they were outplayed like crazy last season...Just the first game vs Baltimore,it was way more about the ravens who have lost this game that the steelers had won this game and it was not close....It take also 2 defensive TD to win vs Browns in week 2.They were also lucky that Burrow was out for both game against us and that the ravens rest their starter in the final week....And this is just inside of the AFC north,since they had many break in others games too....Can't expect to be in the bottom 10 in yards on defense and be 6th in PPG,they need to be much better or they will be in the bottom half in PPG.6 red zone turnovers like the steelers had in the finals 10 games or so is not substainable

11. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I agree I loved last years draft as well. Your right it is mind boggling that we still have alot of the same holes, can you imagine if we did not have a good draft last year. We truly were and are in a rebuild. In the midst of all of this it is pretty amazing we had ten wins. I don’t think its Tomlin or the team that is leaning on the .500 BS. Thats the national news that loves to push that. With that being said it is becoming stale even with them and the players and team are obviously frustrated with no playoff wins.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    You're overselling Munchak. How was that run game the last two seasons he was in PIT? You know, the one with a couple of pro bowl RBs.

He may have been good at building an OL in pass pro but that ain't the Smith offense. Square peg, round hole (it's also what got him ousted in DEN).

13. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Very good point. When you have a good system, coaching and competent QB play it can change alot of things. Outside of the LT on SF can you name any of their other starting OL? You don’t need a 1st rounder at every position.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    It would be amazing to fill all of those needs this year. I definitely am happy with this new FO and am confident things are trending in the right direction.

15. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I always said our defensive scheme puts way too much on the ILB position. Would prefer bigger interior DT’s to maintain multiple blocks and protect the ILB’s. I think KC was essentially able to rebuild the Oline quickly because it was literally there only need. Also having Mahomes covers up alot of other warts. I too am perplexed on the struggle to fill Shaziers position. The miss on Bush really set us back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I am perplexed they didn’t try to sign Munchak this year. To me if the line does not become dominant by years end with what we are putting into it then Meyer has to go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    They had 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th rounders plus one UDFA. The UDFA has been in the league for 8 years on 5 teams, and still has less than 40 career starts, so he’s what you might call a late bloomer.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    rounds 4 are actually very low for guys making teams. the steelers always brought along PS players at a higher rate than most teams. they used that as almost a farm system for years but the free agency thing changed some of that and the way the PS has been transformed. money comes into play as well especially when you have a franchise QB and the amount he makes, you have to downgrade other positions to equal it out from the pay standpoint. we may run into that again if russell plays well and they want to try to sign him back. he won't be that cheap. we have a ton tied up on defense as well. our OLB'ers alone cost a ton. you have to cut costs elsewhere to make up for that. some make it some don't but the steelers keep looking at these futures guys. they all can play at this level. they have all been quite good up until the NFL. now we have thrown in a farm league UFL to access talent. they have there place in the league so why not follow along? the coaches see them every day and if they see potential, why not? :cool:

19. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I totally agree. Misfortune has cost the Steelers big time in the last decade.

Tuitt situation left them chasing the DE position (wasting picks on Leal, Loudermilk, and overpaying for Larry O).

Shazier injury left them chasing the Mack position (signing Avery Johnson, Joe Schobert, and drafting Bust…I mean Bush)

Worilds early retirement left them chasing OLB (drafting Jarvis Jones and Bud Dupree before finally hitting on Watt and Highsmith)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    You do it. It's your turn.

21. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I didn’t mention Worilds because he gracefully retired and simply split. That’s fine. Tuitt on the other hand screwed all of us over TWO seasons!

Eff that guy. 100%!

22. MojoUW

MojoUW Member

Aug 16, 2023
    Do the Steelers have more roster holes than other AFC teams that draft outside the top 15 every year...or do they just lack the offensive juice to ignore those holes?

Buffalo has a ton of holes up and down the roster. So does KC. So does Cincy. So does "insert favorite AFC consensus contender here"....but they have enough offensive juice to basically ignore them.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Most don’t make it, not some. Every team brings in and develops players on futures contracts and starts camp with a 90 man roster. It’s great when one or two of those guys make it, but you can’t count on it happening to fill a particular starter need. There are degrees of potential. The team is clearly looking for a higher probability of success at tackle when you look at who they’re bringing in. WR too.

24. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I agree with you a 1000%. I was extremely disappointed with our defense last year actually. Turnovers are great but you can not count on them. We could not stop the run nor could we stop passes in the middle of the field or on the opposite perimeter from JPJ. Everyone wants to pound the table for an OT but I feel like CB is just as big of a need. I can see us being a better team this year with a worse record. If it creates a better foundation though I am fine with that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Its real simple.

After Shazier went down everyone we brought in has sucked. We wasted draft capital on Bush moving up to get him. Finally last year all three original FA signings looked good but then we had the injuries. We are really cursed at that position for some reason. I guess the football Gods are punishing us at the ILB and Center positions for all the success we had for so many years at those positions.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1