1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Russel Wilson thinks WNBA players should be paid more......

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by Robert, Apr 16, 2024.

1. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I saw an article today where Russell Wilson said that WNBA players should be paid more. It was talking about the amount Caitlin Clark is being paid. Rookie contract for 4 years and a total of $338,000 with a rookie year of $76,535. It was a lot lower than I would have guessed, so I looked up some stuff up.

There are 12 WNBA teams with a total of 144 players. A season is 36 games long with a playoff format for the top 8 teams. The league started in 1996. League annual revenue is about $60 million. Minimum first year salary is around $60k.

For comparison, the NBA has 30 teams and a total of 450 players. A season is 82 games long with a playoff format for the top 16 teams. The league started in 1946. League annual revenue is about $10.58 billion. Minimum first year salary is $1.12 million.

Quite the difference between the leagues and I absolutely understand why. The NBA makes 176 times more annual revenue (min pay is only 18x though). It is simple math, less revenue = lower pay.

I have never seen a WNBA game live or on tv other than a highlight on a sports channel and I am betting that runs true for most people. So I don't think that they have a pay problem, I think that they have a revenue problem. The league needs to get some tv contracts or something (but I still would not be watching as basketball does not interest me).

Here is the article if anyone wants to read it: https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nfl-...id-more-caitlin-clarks-rookie-salary-revealed

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Sell tickets, sell merch, sell advertising, get sponsors, get the politics out of it and make the product family friendly. Wages will rise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Good for him. When the wnba generates more revenue the players will get paid more

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Just wait. Somebody in the government will propose, in the name of fairness, that the WNBA be subsidized to level the playing field!

5. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    It is being subsidized. By the NBA.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I know nothing about the WNBA. Never seen a game but found that salary interesting. I'll assume they have a TV contract. I guess they generate revenue from TV ads and fans in the seats. Not sure how many people attend a regular season game but I'm guessing not a lot. TBH, I thought they made less then OP found.

• Like Like x 1
  7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I meant by the taxpayer....

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    F**k that.

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That isn't happening.

10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I just said it would be proposed. With all the hundreds of dopes in D.C. you don't think at least one of them would propose it? Gotta get them votes!

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Rhetorical notions do indeed lead to greased wheels and sympathetic subsidies. Consider the logic and probability of EICs (earned income credits and child credits for that matter). :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You know what I'm talking about. After all, we live in CA. Think of the "level the playing field" laws and regs we have. There are a lot more dopes in DC than there are in Sacramento. You know there's at least one who'll introduce some "equal pay" legislation.

• Agree Agree x 1