1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickens skips voluntary workout

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rollers, Apr 8, 2024.

1. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    It's just voluntary stuff but Austin was there and Muth. Probably no big deal

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Disappointed that Pickens did not want to work out with Wilson. I posted earlier that Free Agent Chase Claypool is working out with Justin Fileds. :)

George Pickens Skips Session With New QB - NFL News | Fantasy Football (rotoballer.com)
    According to Pittsburgh Steelers tight end Pat Freiermuth, he recently got together with new quarterback Russell Wilson in San Diego for throwing drills. Also in attendance were Calvin Austin III and Van Jefferson, who signed with the Steelers a few weeks ago. Interestingly enough, wideout George Pickens reportedly skipped out on participating with the group. Although a reason hasn't been revealed, it's something to monitor ahead of offseason workouts and moving toward training camp. However, with Wilson looking to bounce back from an unproductive year, not having his No. 1 wideout join him for voluntary drills isn't ideal.

3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Minkah is also working out with Fields.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I think Pickens is on the edge of being great or becoming a problem child. There were a number of very disturbing actions or non actions by him last year.

He needs to mature a huge amount.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    There could be a financial aspect to it as well. Remember Pickens is a new player in the NFL. He doesn't have years of accumulated earnings or any big contracts yet. It very well could be that he's bad with his money and broke. Hanging out in San Diego is not cheap.

These NFL players do make crazy money even on the low end compared to most Americans. But you also have to remember that they are almost always young and they like to live the high life. I don't know if the NFL does it or not, but they really should force them all into some kind of financial class before they're even allowed to suit up. It seems all too common to read about NFL players that played for years and are now broke, or guys that got pretty decent contracts and have nothing to show for it.

It does set a bad tone though.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Every year some guy misses voluntary workouts. I seem to recall Troy P never went to them?

• Like Like x 4
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    every year somebody doesn't go. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    "voluntary"

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    Voluntary, but every year they criticize someone that doesn't volunteer.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    He’s probably in the Caribbean with two or three Kim kardasian look-a-likes soaking up sun n surf. He’ll be back in June.

11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Or it could just be he was working out elsewhere and decided not to attend VOLUNTARY workouts

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Is it a huge deal no. BUT it is Something. He is a crybaby on gameday and has all the makings of the next AB wr diva but with half his talent. Get rid of him next if he continues down this path.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

he has indirectly been put on alert, he has 'seen' the memo - right in front of his face.

we all will see if he is bright enough to 'get it'.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    There could be many legit reasons why he wasn’t in San Diego. Was he even invited? Who knows…. It was an informal gathering to start building some chemistry with a new QB. Would it have been nice to hear he was there? Sure, but it’s far from the end of the world that he wasn’t…. Allegedly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Pickens should have volunteered to get some catches with Wilson. I hope he doesn't turn into a :poopy:--head. And act stupid. Maybe Claypool would work better with Wilson or Fields:confused1::confused1::confused1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Pickens isn't turning into one. He showed signs of being immature and selfish at Georgia and he has continued to behave that way as a Steeler. As a rookie, he often telegraphed when the play would be away from him with his body language as he approached the line of scrimmage. There were even times he came to the line with his gloves in his hands rather than on them. He did that last season, too, and there were reports of him giving up on plays when things started to break down rather than working to get open for his quarterback. Then there was the ugly video of him jumping out of the way rather than block for Warren near the goal line, which resulted in a big hit on his teammate. He didn't even deny his selfishness. He simply said he wasn't going to put himself at risk of being hurt while blocking for a teammate.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    They are talking about out of town voluntary workouts, where a few player get together on their own, NOT OTAs held at the Steelers training facilities. I don't think I remember Ben ever getting together with his WRs until they were at the Steelers training facility.

And, I am definitely not buying the he can't afford it, but I could easily see him having other plans for working out, or just vacation plans with the family. This might have been a last minute thing if Russell Wilson set it up.

Anyone know where or with who Pickens trains with in the offseason?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2024
  18. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    This was his problem in college too

19. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    I’m gonna say it and say it with confidence. Pickens will NOT get a 2nd contract with the Steelers. He’s already on thin ice due to his attitude the last 2 seasons. The only reason he wasn’t traded away this season is because at the end of the season he started to mature and produce. As Tomlin says, they will tolerate a lot when the production is there. Is this a big deal, not really but with a new QB, you’d want any work with him that you can get. He has a lot of maturing to do and again don’t think he will be here long term.

20. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I have no problem with the kid. He's operating within the contractual agreement between him and his team. Nothing here but speculation.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    From what I am reading the new WR coach won't be tolerating those shenanigans. And with Smith favoring 2 and 3 TEs it would be easy to limit Pickens' targets in this offense. Then he can pout his way all the way off the team, following DJ's path to glory.

22. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I have talked to a few Georgia fans who watched him close and all said that he was the same his whole time in college. Great player but always did some weird and confusing stuff.

23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    There was a guy on Cowherd yesterday, just retired, long successful career as a CB, was a good interview. One thing he said we in the last couple of years he started investing as he thought about his future after football and was at the point where he and his family had security. Now he is possibly entering broadcasting, a good section on that as well. I have no idea how much he was paid early, or what lifestyle he lead, but he matured and realized this won't be forever and did the smart thing. There are some things the league and union sponsor to help educate these guys (if they care to listen and learn), the end result is still on them though, even if you make 4 years at the minimum, after all taxes and expenses you can have a nice nest egg to get you started in the next chapter of your life.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They need someone to produce at receiver. Right now, they have Pickens and a group of question marks. They need him as a downfield threat, especially with Johnson gone and no proven replacement on the roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This to me is not a big deal. Yet. Voluntary. We shall see at OTA's.

What is to me is the lack of blocking for a teammate, giving up on plays, pouting. Yes he is immature and I believe full of himself.

Reality is he is the only real wide receiver threat. Receiver room is on thin ice. Putting all the eggs in the Pickens basket could spell disaster.

• Like Like x 1