1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickett traded to Eagles

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Mar 15, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Yeah the steelers way has been outdated in the last 10 years or so....Happy it has changed

2. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Many teams in the last few years have been much less patient with mediocre QB that the steelers have been with Pickett.24 starts is not nothing

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think you and others are too focused on three games out of six years. It is a recency bias thing. One early pass to Pickens isn't the only reason the running game was there against the Bengals. They were bad on defense all season and they had just lost their best interior run defender the previous week. The Seahawks' run defense was horrible. I doubt one big game by a career backup scared them into backing off all day. It is just as likely the Seahawks saw the big game against the Bengals as a fluke. They also might have seen all the open receivers on deep balls that he missed against the Bengals. Remember, Rudolph missed more deep throws than he hit in that game.

It was more than the prospect of competition that led to Pickett requesting a trade, but I understand that many disagree with that opinion.

The fact that no team wanted Rudolph to compete for a starting job and he got only $3.6 million to be Will Levis's backup in Tennessee should tell you something.

4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is rare for a team to give up on a quarterback taken in the first round more quickly, especially if the team is winning when he is starting as the Steelers were doing with Pickett. There are outliers like Josh Rosen, but the more common approach would have been to keep him when they signed Wilson and see what develops the rest of his rookie deal. I am certain they wanted Fields and felt like it wouldn't work to add him, too, and hold on to Pickett.

5. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Kenny was winning games the same way Tim Tebow was winning games in 2011....Garbage for 55 minutes but the defense were able to keep the score down.But it's not sustainable in the long run and you're never going to go far with 16 PPG even with luck on your side like crazy

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The ability to come through with the game on the line isn't nothing. Fields hasn't shown it, which is a big reason why the Bears couldn't find a trade market for him.

The version of Pickett we saw wasn't good enough. I thought proper coaching might have been able to fix him. He had a head coach wanting to play games that way and an offensive coordinator so bad that the team broke with decades of tradition to fire him during the season. I also think the Steelers took the handcuffs off the offense out of necessity in those final games due to the attrition on defense. They couldn't trust that unit the way they did most of the season due to all of the injuries and the suspension of Kazee.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2024-3-29_16-3-54.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Just goes to show you how crappy the Steelers thought of Kenny that they dumped his ass after just two years. Tells you something when Steelers give up on a first round pick sooooo fast.

Steelers held on to Bush, Safety #34 far far too long, yet they dumped Kenny's ass. Tells you something.

The fact that no other team offered a starting job for Kenny in a trade, also tell you something. The entire league passed up on Kenny as a starter, including the Steelers. Tells you something about Kenny's value.

9. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I am now wishing Steelers kept Kenny for one more year, even if it meant another wasted season, just so everyone would see how bad Kenny is. :)

As it is, this thread is going to go on until scribe dies.

10. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Definitely go on longer than that guy traded to Philly will be in the NFL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This is why my immediate response to the trade was that Pickett is a bust. Thank you for backing up the point I made weeks ago. It is nice that you caught up.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That's quite morbid. It makes me want to improve my diet just to piss you off.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow! Your argument is obvious emotion! Either your bias for Kenny or bias against Mason has you making excuses for Mason’s success rather than give credit. Facts are that Mason played better in 12 starts than Kenny did in 24. Again you are focused on tenure versus game play. You have made the excuse for Kenny not having a real OC in Matt Canada. On that premise you cannot possibly believe Mason had a real OC in Randy Fichtner. Of those “missed” shots downfield, there were quite a few drops. The fact is Mason took more shots downfield and the defense had to account for it. Kenny took three shots downfield connected two of them and intercepted on his third because he was too predictable. Kenny downfield passing game was not feared by any opposing defenses. In terms of Mason landing in Tennessee as a backup, you have no idea what other options he had. He didn’t sign until after Russell Wilson signed. Mason was smart going the a team not looking to draft a QB into a crowded QB room. He signed as the backup with opportunity contribute and push Will Levis, not compete as QB1 but he will have opportunity. Mason does not appear to be about the money as it has been well documented he is a selfless player. Your entire argument is based on assumptions to fit your non factual narrative. The fact that players in the locker room were lobbying for Mason over Kenny is all you need to know.

14. M2K

M2K Active Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Mike Tomlin has made terrible decisions with Steeler QBs.

Mike Tomlin is the man that had Mason Rudolph on the depth chart BEHIND Mitch and Kenny. This is the same man that turned to Mitch instead of Mason when Kenny went down. This is the same man that held onto Matt Canada, whom I believe hurt both Mason and Kenny during their time in Pittsburgh, for two years too long. This is the same man that started Mason AFTER Kenny was healthy to play and AFTER Kenny had the best game of his career on a road win in Cincy which was the first game after Matt Canada was fired.

In that game, Kenny looked great. He led the offense to over 400 yards for the first time since Matt was hired, almost passed for 300 yards (would have if DJ didn't let a TD slipped through his fingers), had a completion percentage over 70%, etc. Kenny showed what he could do post-Matt Canada... any sane coach would have taken their young QB and started him the first game he was healthy. Instead... Mike Tomlin goes with Mason Rudolph... a player on the last year of his contract.

Then... Mike Tomlin tells Kenny and the whole world, that he is the starter, but they will bring in QB competition... only to call Kenny up after another QB is signed and tell him the other QB is the starter. And, even after all that... if you still believe Kenny Pickett didn't have the potential to develop into a bonafide starter... it was Mike Tomlin that played a huge part on drafting Kenny Pickett to begin with.

I am not here to say Kenny will or will not become a franchise QB... I am saying that the way Mike Tomlin handled his OC and QBs were ridiculously dumb. If you are going to draft a QB in the 1st Rd... and you know your OC is absolute dog-sheet... you have to give the QB real time to show his potential without the dog-sheet OC. It took Kenny a few years in college of mediocre play and development before he exploded into one of the absolute best QB's in all of college football.

Why did Mike Tomlin take such a short-sighted approach to handling Mason and especially Kenny?????

Because Mike Tomlin has done nothing since the Steelers were in the Superbowl back in 2011. Since then... nothing, nada, zero, zip, zilch.... 12 years of ineptitude. Mike Tomlin made moves out of complete desperation... instead of acting responsibly.

Finally, let's talk about the players Mike Tomlin signed off on replacing Mason and Kenny.... Wilson and Fields. Russell Wilson was so great that a team like the Denver Broncos would rather pay $85 million in dead money than have him back another season. Think about that... $85 million dollars in dead money. And, lets say he plays great... are you really going to tie up $35 million dollars a year on a multi-year contract for a player who is turning 36 years old?!

As for Justin Fields... Justin Fields QBR during his first year was 31. Kenny Pickett's QBR during his first year was 54. While Justin's QBR shot up to 56 in year two... it tumbled down, not up... down to 46. Kenny's QBR also tumbled down to 38 in his second year... but... in Kenny's FIRST GAME post-Matt Canada, and on the road, his QBR was 68.

While stats can be used to make any point, Kenny has shown real signs of having the ability to be a very good QB and a penchant for rising up in clutch 4th quarter moments when the game is on the line.... and because of those two factors... he needed and deserved time to develop.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Whew, I hope our new head coach doesn't trade to get him back.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That I disagree with you doesn't make my argument emotional. I made a rational argument based in fact and you started by attacking the poster rather than dealing with the information in the post.

Also, no, there were not many drops in Rudolph's start against the Bengals. HThe second touchdown to Pickens was a thing of beauty, but he had other opportunities to throw to wide open receivers deep and missed them. Even the long completion right before the half was a poor throw. Pickens roasted his defender again, but Rudolph threw the ball behind him and too close to the sideline. Pickens made a spectacular catch to salvage what should have been an easy touchdown.

Fichtner wasn't a good offensive coordinator, but he wasn't as bad as Canada. It's not just that Canada was so awful that the Steelers broke with decades of precedent by firing him in the middle of the season. It is that he had failed before he even got to the Steelers, getting canned after just one year at LSU, and somehow Tomlin thought it was a good idea to turn his offense over to the guy.

Regarding Rudolph, I am certain his options were very limited. That is why he had to settle for so little money to back up Levis, who the Titans are committed to as their franchise quarterback. Even you seem to know Levis their guy, yet you include some vague assertions that he will contribute and he will get his opportunity. Sure, if Levis gets hurt or sucks so bad they bench him, Rudolph might get a shot, but that is not the plan in Tennesee and he had to settle for their offer.

There is no evidence to claim that Rudolph is not all that interested in money. Is it really that well documented that he is selfless? He seems like a good guy, but he wants to play. His dig at the front office and coaches in 2022 made that clear. I didn't have a problem with it then and I don't now, but it doesn't fit this saintly image you seem to have of him.

17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    And his home run balls were good placement and receiver making the play. Pickens is a demon if you get him on the slant without breaking stride! Why we didn't have that until after Canada was fired is bonkers!

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yet most people agree they upgraded the QB room.

19. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    that last sentence, along with an 'article' that popped up last week (cannot find), stated the Steelers and MR were no where close in numbers with contract talks. Now I guess few really know the truth, but in that he only got 3.6 million the Steelers offer could not have been much.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Exactly. Fans lost their minds over what he did in those three games, but it is clear that the Steelers still weren't impressed.

21. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    The irony in you saying everyone else is emotional for your argument. You have attacked everyone else on the forum for being emotional in their argument. You state your argument is sound and based on fact, yet you present no facts and tell everyone else to look it up. Once again statements like “you are certain Mason’s options were limited,” is not based on facts, only your personal assumption. Randy Fichtner was nothing more than a Big Ben yes man. Fichtner was not prepared for another QB to step behind center. I find it quite humorous that you attack me for using your very own argument against you. Sounds emotional to me.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, I have not argued that everyone else is emotional. I have pointed out a few people abandoning reason in a way that seems emotional, but that isn't the same thing.

I present factual information to support my claims all the time. I almost never just tell another poster to look it up.

My assumption about Rudolph's options is based on the facts. He got only $3.6 million, $2.5 million guaranteed, which is cheap for an NFL backup quarterback. He signed to be a backup to Will Levis, who the Titans see as a franchise guy. I have posted articles about how the Titans building around Levis before. Here is just one more.

I find it humorous that you rely so heavily on false information.

23. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    Stating Mason’s contract is fact, I will give you that. However, you are stating the obvious and no where do you present a fact about his limited options. Once again, no facts. Just you making up a narrative to support your argument.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You acknowledge that I presented a fact, then insisted I didn't use any facts to support my argument, so you contradicted yourself.

Let's see if you can follow this if I break it down even more simply for you.

My claim is that Mason Rudolph's options in free agency were limited.

I am basing that on five facts. To be fair, I assumed you and others knew this information. Perhaps I gave some people too much credit in that assumption.

1. Rudolph signed a one-year contract for $3.6 million, only $2.5 of which is guaranteed. That is cheap for an NFL backup quarterback.

2. He signed with a team that has a quarterback they believe is their long-term option, Will Levis. That limits his opportunity to be the starter for the Titans.

3. Rudolph has been in the league for six years.

4. Rudolph will turn 29 in July.

5. One year earlier, the entire league passed on him as even a second-string quarterback, forcing him to take a cheap deal to be the third stringer in Pittsburgh.

No. 5 helps demonstrate how little regard the league has for him. He improved his status some with his play at the end of last season, but not enough to be considered a starter for any team in the NFL.

Facts No. 1 through 4 demonstrate his lack of options for 2024. He had to settle for a relatively cheap contract as a backup. If he had more money or a better opportunity to start, he would have taken it. The guy is already six years into his career and he will be 29 in a few months, so spending another year on the bench is something he would clearly want to avoid. He is running out of time to ever be anything more than a backup.

Just because you don't like the facts doesn't mean they don't exist.

25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

well......it is a new GM.

A LOT IS CHANGING!

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.