1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Where is the....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Woodson two-six, Mar 27, 2024.

1. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I don't disagree, but if they chose to go corner in the first I think they just move Jackson to the slot. He's logged predominantly outside corner reps with Carolina, but is undersized for that role with speed that should translate well inside. Either way he's been a very average outside corner in the final year of his contract. An early/outside corner isn't a must, but a good slot corner could be had with one of their picks in the third, maybe even the fourth (Marcellas Dial and Renardo Green, e.g.).

I think they go WR in the second. I agree it's now a need early, and while Thomas Jr. would be tempting if there in the first, they need to shore up the line. With OL taken in the first tending to have a higher success rate in the pros than receivers, on top of the talent the latter looks have in the second, I'd feel better waiting until then to address it. Of course, while I really like McConkey, Legette, and Wilson, it's dicey whether any of the three will still be on the board at 51 (especially McConkey). But Ricky Pearsall has really been growing on me and looks to be available.

Center is the glaring hole right now, and unless they truly see Williams as a viable FA option is the way I think they'll need to go in the first. If they pass, JPJ, Barton, and Frazier will be gone by 51 unless something really strange happens (Limas Sweed 2008 o_O), and Van Pran is likely taken ahead of 84. Like I said, I'm surprised they haven't addressed it (and if not C, then RT or a bone fide WR to pair with Pickens) by now to give them some flexibility in the draft.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
  2. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    2 sides of a coin I guess. Mims may become a HoF OT. His low number of actual snaps playing football are due to injuries, not ability. It’s the oft injured part that scares me away in the 1st round. 2nd round I like him much better.

3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Rome wasn't built in a day.... but the Houston Texans went from 3-13-1 to 10-7, found their franchise QB and won a playoff game. Things that seem to elude the modern Steelers.

4. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    What was the Steelers record without a franchise QB? To have the same jump in wins as the Texans the Steelers need to go 17-0 this season.

The Steelers are making moves this offseason. So far they all seem to be positive moves. I think the only thing eluding this team has been OL and DL.

All droughts come to an end. The Texans have never made it past the division round. Maybe they can accomplish that this year. May have to go through us to do it though.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I really doubt all three of those center's will be gone by #51.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Well, I don't know what you're basing that on, but finding a mock that shows any falling that far has become a rarity. Who knows what will transpire come draft day, but it makes sense for the teams that have been slotted to take one ahead of 51 to do so, and Barton is still technically listed as a tackle/guard.re'

There's an outside chance Frazier could drop to 51, but I personally wouldn't bet on it without a backup plan. And the only thing I see there is Williams, who I do like.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Jackson-Powers was a one year wonder. Think Kenny Pickett.
    Barton hasn't played center since he was a freshman, but his left tackle/IOL abilities make him most likely the highest drafted.
    Frazier is coming off an injury and hasn't been able to perform at bowls, the combine, or his pro day.
    Van Pran-Granger's, who was hands down the top center in the draft on Jan. 1, has seen his stock fall like a rock.
    Center is not a high demand position in the draft.
    We'll get a good center in the 2nd round.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

i don't think DL is eluding them at all. fahoko was brought back and may actually be used this year. adams was re-signed and he played pretty well last year. dean lowry was added as well. he's an 8 year vet with 84 starts and 120 games. benton, ogunjobi, cam, leal, loudermilk, marshall ( who played pretty well last year) and they have been looking at many prospects in the draft. there are only so many spots available on the DL. :cool:

9. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    I hope you are right about the DL.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    they have been meeting with quite a few D-linemen pre draft. :cool:

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Over breakfast earlier today I did a mock using the PFF draft simulator, and I was able to take Byron Murphy at #20. I see little chance of him being there in reality, but the guy is like Hargrave at disrupting and pass rushing but with much better 2-gap ability and would be a nice fit at the nose for us.

• Like Like x 1
  12. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    You gotta include what breakfast was. You are replying to macdaddyo

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I would rather draft his teammate Sweat in the third round.

• Like Like x 1
  14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm basing it on the fact that the center position isn't valued early on, remember Creed Humphrey lasted until the 63rd pick in the second round, this draft is deep at WR, OT, and QB that will push some good players down to #51.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Leftover 1/2 of a chicken cutlet sub with cheese, arugula and hot honey. Washed down with about a quart of coffee.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=9239...b21iaW5lLWVkZ2VycmluLWNvb3Blci1kcmFmdC8&ntb=1

these are the players they have met with in some fashion. fiske was scheduled for a visit with a few others. nice list i think.
    :cool:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Your still a Cowboy fan, there actually worse than the Steelers come crunch time. LOL.

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope so, it is a big need.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I don't see the comparison between JPJ and Pickett at all. The reason Powers-Johnson is a "one-year wonder" is because last season was his first as a starter for Oregon; Pickett started for four years at Pittsburgh. And while JPJ only served as a starter for one year, his ability flashed early: power, quickness, solid technique and awareness. There's good reason he jumped to head-of-class after the season.

I agree on Barton. He may project as an elite center prospect should a team want to move him there, but I never considered him a good fit for the Steelers due to their need. Still, he will likely go by the early second as he still has great talent at G/T.

You're not making much of a point with Frazier. First of all, he did work out at the combine and impressed with the drills he did perform. He ran the 40 and other drills at the Big 12 Pro Day this weekend and was again impressive. I like him as a blue-collar leader who will quarterback the line with a high football IQ. While mocks are not the end-all, be-all of what will happen later this month, the majority have had him going early-second - some even late-first after the combine.

There's nothing wrong with Van Pran, solid guy who has some balance and core strength improvement to be made in the passing game. But for me he doesn't grade out as a round two talent in this class. Something now mitigated further by the Steelers need at WR, which happens to have plenty of good options available in the second.

• Like Like x 2